Typhoon Squadrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typhoon Squadrons

Has anybody run a full squadron befor? If so how did it perform and what opponents did you face?

Now befor anybody jumps, I'm very aware of how well a squadron of Tornado's works and that the points would be better used on Tornado's.

I'm just looking into the issue for arguments sake.

breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I was always partial to Typhoons, in fact I ran one when I had my little Marine army long ago.

I think a squadron of Typhoons would be an effective troop-killer. With the long range of the Typhoon Launcher (and heavy bolters to a lesser extent) you can stay far enough back from a Tactical or Imperial Guard squad that only their one heavy weapon would be a threat to you, which negates the main problem with using squadrons. (Terrain and crossfire willing, of course.)
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are good against ork speed freaks, orks, imperial guard, and tyranids. Anything with a lot of maneuverability or survivability is bad for these, (like IG armored company, Mech Tau or Eldar, Meq's).

They definately have their uses. It is situational, however. I love their longer ranged weaponry comared to that of a tornado.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

I like Typhoon squadrons, it makes a change from all the BORING tornado squadrons flying around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Fair all-round mobile fire support, that's what it is. Probably best for armies that prefer to keep their distance; if you use an offensive combat-oriënted army some Tornadoes would fit better as you're closing in anyway.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Well, before Assault Cannons were the do-everything God Weapons that they are now, I preffered to run 2 Typhoons with Multi-Meltas because I liked their flexibility and ability to either kill tanks or drop HB templates (re-roll to hit, even) on troops from afar. Now that you have to center the small templates on a model, the Typhoon launchers aren't really worth the points. Especially now that Assault cannons are as good (arguably better) at busting tanks and kill troops too.

There's no reason to take anything other than AC/HB speeders under the current rules. Typhoon models look okay, though I prefer the sleekness of the Tornadoes better. The typhoons are also a B!+(# to put together--the pieces don't quite fit right, and the large metal bits don't hold too well to the plastic without finicky drill/pin work.

I'd skip the typhoons. If you want to try something new, perfect your use of MM/FH tornadoes! There's something you don't see much of! Fluffy for cityfight, too!
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

+ Reply to Thread