Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hi, I am playing WH for the first time today and they seem pretty good. I have a couple questions however after reading the codex yesterday.
1. A blesses weapon seemed good on first glance, especially with my girls all being S3. Then I saw it was a 2-handed weapon. I feel that especially with no terminator honours for an extra option for attack, I really need the second cc-weapon bonus. And at the points cost listed it seems overpriced if it takes away an attack. I can't feel good about a 100 something odd character with only 3 attacks. What weapon do you take? I think power sword, cheap, but only S3. So no. Eveiscerator, still 2 handed. There wasn't much else.
2. The special character in the back says she gets a 2+ armour or 4+ invul. I assume she gets to choose during the battle depending on ythe situation, but a bit confused because usually in the codeces they say that you get a 2+ arm. AND a 4+ invul.
3. Chimeras. I have 6 lasguns that I can shoot while I move. But they are pointing in different directions and since you can only target one squad can you only shoot 3 a turn? or do you measure from the front base of the vehicle and can shoot all six regarless of how their range of motion appears on the vehicle.
4. Immolator. Whn I shoot my flamer I put the template anywhere on the base of the vehiucle I want? or just from the turret. Because if I use the turret I will hit the girls disembarking with their flamers so I can'ty see a way I could disembark six sisters and use the tyank and them to shoot a target without the tank hitting the newly disembarked unit.
Any tips for this?
Thanks alot for any help.
1. I use a Blessed weapon. Although it is two handed, the fact that it comes master crafted and raises your strength by 2 outweighs its negatives. I would never consider giving a Canoness a power weapon, she may get 1 extra attack, but she is unlikely to kill anything with it.
2. Your first thought is right: St. Celestine can use either her 2+ armour save or her invulnerable save. Its just worded oddly.
3. I assume that you may fire the Lasguns at whatever unit the Chimera's turret and hull weapons are firing at.
4. I would place the template from the turret, as that is where the fire is coming from. Remember, when you disembark from a vehicle, you may move up to 2in, so you could use that to get out of the way of the template, or to get out of the rear of the Immolator, and then get into position.
Hope that helps.
on point 4, in the BGB it stays that you "place the template so that its narror end is touching the base of the model firing it..." so that is not from the gn but actually from hte base of the tank. seems a bit odd, but it makes game sense
on point 1.
taking on meq
1/2 chance to hit * 1/3 to wound * 4 attacks = 4/6 kills per combat phase
(1/2+(1/2*1/2)) chance to hit * 2/3 to wound * 3 = 18/12 (9/6) kills per combat phase
so in reality you will kill 5/6 of a MEQ more per turn. (i didn't realise the gap would be that big...)
I believe that is only with infantry models, with tanks I definately have to say its from the gun.on point 4, in the BGB it stays that you "place the template so that its narror end is touching the base of the model firing it..." so that is not from the gn but actually from hte base of the tank. seems a bit odd, but it makes game sense
Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss
The Chimera lasguns are a bit of a grey area. Some tournaments treat them as having a 90 degree arc to the side, which means essentially worthless unless you don't take a hull weapon or its destroyed. I've always played them as 180 to the side like a sponson, so you would only be able to shoot all 6 at a target unit if the target is dead ahead and spread out a bit. Dunno if there is a better treatment in wargear or an IA book.
1) Blessed Weapons are extremely effective. +2 Str, Master Crafted well outwieghs the fact that it is 2 handed.
4) Not following you on this one. I believe now that for vehicles it has to be from the actual weapon on the vehicle. But I don't understand how you can be hitting your own troops. The immolator is not a turret mounted weapon (to my knowledge) and thus can only fire straight ahead and a Rhyno can only deploy out the sides and the rear and not the front. Unless I'm missing something.
Last edited by Monkeyclops; May 24th, 2007 at 14:48.
Yeah so with the inferno cannon I was thinking pull up to enemy, turn sideways and disembark and then shoot the flamer, but it would be hard soemtimes because it would have to go over their heads.
I did play the game and it was close, but they are not as good as I had hoped. I plaed 2000 against orcs, basically took:
9 seraph, 4 squads 10 sisters, 2x2meltas, 2x2 flamers, 4 rhinos
10 storms, 2 plas, chimera
2 immos, 2 squads 6 with 4 flamers a piece
That sounds like an orc fighting list if you asked me but the problem I had was that they have no long ranges weapons whatsoever. FOr instance he had a looted demolisher and d6 S8 shots even from the two vehicles have trouble piercing armour 14. And its near impossible to get a rhino wi9th meltas up through 100 + orcs to get a close shot. Also the rhinos ke[t getting penetrating hits that blew them up[ and or made me diembard, being pinned then pounced upon by 18 man orc squads. Even when I did get up close enough to unload one or hopefully two rhinos of sisters out and rapid fire and flame, the huge number of enemies I face meant that I didn't kill quite them all,. then the remaining 6 or 7 orcs charges me and then its all over. Of course the demolisher had a field day putting a blast template over my squads that are packed into a little circle next to my tank.
My faith powers were only succesful 1 out of 8 tries. Most only work for small squads and when you are giving them 5 initiative so they could strike first, you can't do it with a 10 man squad that just exited a rhino. Or the 3+ invul only helps when that squad is ready to die anyways. I don't see much use to faith points. Just a fun extra, not a game decider.
If I had played any other army that even had halfway decent shooting I would not have stood a chance. So I'm disappointed. They seem pretty terrible. Like maybe the worst army. I can't see how they could ever be effective.
Blessed weapons are good for a character. After playing Witch Hunters for a while you will gradually come to realise the characters employed in the codex arn't meant to be combat monsters. I consider all characters in the codex (which isn't an special character) good at supporting existing squads with wargear or adding a few extra power weapon attacks when things got gritty.
I would never employ a Cannoness by herself unless she was given the anti-tank role as she won't really be able to tackle whole squads by herself bar a few exceptions (Possibly Imperial Gaurd Infantry or Tau Fire Warriors), in which case she won't have a blessed weapon but an evicerator, inferno pistol and jump pack. Generally you can equip a character with what you want but I advise you try and not go over 120pts, I'm normally in the region of 90-110pts for cannonesses and less for Inquisitors.