New to Black Templars and have some questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Black Templars and have some questions

Hi guys,

I have recently started collecting Black Templars and have a few questions for you guys. My plan is to use this as the parent army and use allied Grey Knights I have. According to both codex, they are the only psykers that the BT's will alliy with. I know fluff wise it may be a bit dodgy to alliy Grey Knights with BT,s but really like the army so. OK so anyway:

1) Whats the advantage of using a Master of Sanctity instead of a Reclusiarch? I see that the Master has one extra wound, but is that it?

2) What do BT's use instead of a devistator squad for heavy weapons?

3) Reading other Space Marines armies, they have traits and disadvantages. Do the BT's only use the 4 listed in the codex which the Emperor's Champion chooses?

4) Which is the best HQ choice to use as I have a Command squad and want to attach them to a cool HQ. I like chaplains, but then choosing one is based on my first question.

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.an extra wound, that'ss like it... but with adamantine mantle and artificer armour or termy armour he becomes a kick-arse soldier! you know cause he can take 3 hits instead of 2, thus giving you a slite advantage

2.as far as I know, nothing... they can't use dev squads and whirlwinds

3.OK this is one I have no clue about...

4. an awesome HQ is a chaplain, or librarian... but librarian can be KOed with his own moves and black templars can't use him, so a commander would be good (everyone loves scouts with 10 Ld, but a chaplain attached to a command squad with bolt pistols, cc weapons and T-honours, and can rerolll failed to-hit rolls in first round, becomes a total kick-arse solution to all your non-genestealer problems, and maybe those carnifex troubles, but your faster you can beat it (if you don't get hit and have a 10man+chaplain squad)
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) yep, the wound is the only advantage. For the same cost, you can have a reclusiarch with T. Honors. I would recommend only using a MoS in high point games where you don't have 15 extra points for that upgrade.

2) Unfortunately, we Templars don't get Devastators. Bolter Squads with Heavy Weapons is about the best infantry solution. You will need vehicles to deal with other vehicles most of the time.

3) These four things listed are Vows. They just happen to resemble certain traits for regular marine armies. If my memory serves me right, then "Accept any challenge..." vow is better than the regular Marine preferred enemy trait (BT vow applies versus ANY opponent, SM trait is only against aliens)

Your Emperor's Champion must choose one of the 4 vows before the game begins (and pay the cost listed).

The Templars are such a divergence from the Codex Astartes that they were given thier own codex book. They do not use the trait system like other Marines do, because it is already written into the codex.

4) For a good HQ, one word: CHAPLAIN. A commander is nice with a 9 or 10 leadership across the board, and if you have mass infantry without transport (actually not a horrible idea for Templars) then a Marshal is a good choice. If you don't have that many squads, then Chaplains are a better idea (he makes them fearless).
    If you give the Chappy a command squad, make sure that he has 3 servitors. This will give you a +3 to the Rigteous Zeal move roll. If one man in the squad dies, then they all can move 4-9 inches! You can pump a lot of points into this squad and make them obscene, but don't neglect numbers.

Hope that helps.
    Imperator Custodit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Re: Devastator Squads

The above poster mentioned using vehicles or bolter/heavy weapon (commonly referred to as las-plas squads based on the common configuration of 4 bolters, 1 plasma gun, and 1 lascannon) as alternatives. I haven't played with las-plas squads very often, however I have given vehicles a try in several games and I've never really found them to be all that rewarding. I find that if I take enough tanks so that I still have some alive by turn 3, I don't have enough points for infantry.

What I -have- had decent luck with are drop pod squads. I run 2 6-man squads with a meltagun and 2 5-man terminator squads with two assault cannons, along with a pair of LSTs with the HB/AC combo. I find that this is usually enough to take out the big threats. I also have a pair of plasma gun squads which sometimes get pulled into tank busting duty, depending on the game.

I was able to take out an armored company with this list, consisting of 6 basilisks, 2 demolishers, and 3 chimeras. The weak side armor probably helped considerably with this, but it did increase my confidence in the list considerably.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that guys. If you can take a couple of heavy weapons per squad then it shouldn't be that bad I guess. Like the idea of a lascannon and plasma rifle in a suqad. As I am usually a Grey Knights player, they dont get these so it will be quite cool!

+ Reply to Thread