Dreadnaught Army idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnaught Army idea

Hi New to the forums here

I'm thinking of making a custom space marine army using the custom chapter traits.

The advs Im picking are Heed the wisdom of the ancients and scions of mars. The disadvantage will be flesh over steel.

I think it would be kinda cool to have a dreadnaught army with a techmarine as a HQ going around and repairing dreadnaughts. The army will basically consist of 2 regular dreadnaughts, 2 venerable dreadnaughts and 4 squads of tactical marines.

I'd like feed back on a couple of things:
    1) Is this army cheesy?
    2) would this army be any good at all on the battlefield?
    3) What should the wargear options look like in this army?

Note I've just gotten back into the game after a LONG break. I used to have a 3000 pt space wolf army and a Necron army back when the necrons didn't even have a codex. So I'm not really up to date with the warhammer 40k scene and the new codexes etc......

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't a cheesy army at all.

It will fall prey to enemy heavy weapons very quickly (read imperial guard), but I like the idea. It is definately competitive, and in the hands of a good general it can be devastating. Just be sure you have anti-infantry and anti-tank dreads.

What points limit did you have in mind?

My only suggestion is that techmarines are crap for what GW intends them to do. You'd be better with more upgrades for the dreads, or more tac squads, or a chaplain, or, better yet, some land speeder tornadoes. These would be able to support the dreads wonderfully, flying to where the battle is going badly.

I wish you luck with this.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can have a techmarine on bike (but if your lazy like me thenyou don't want to do that conversion) but it is easier to use purity above all so you squads can ignore some wounds and you need a dev squad! scions of mars second ability is useless becuase everyone using it is in a squad
    although I always wanted to see a dev squad captain in T-armor...
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, those traits are exactly the same as those designated for the Iron Hands. So if you want to do a First Founding - they would be perfect.

Next - upgrade all of your Dreads to Venerable. If Dreads are going to be the staple of your army, they need to be as resiliant as possible.

Make sure you have one Techmarine for every two Dreadnought. Run them in pairs with the Techmarine in base-to-base contact with them all the time. Repairs will take too long if he isn't.

With this type of army, things can get a bit pricey. The only wargear I would recommend would be the bare minimum for each unit. Extra Armor for the Dreads, power-weapons/fists for the Veteran Sergeants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and don't give your dreads lascannons, meltaguns because the assault cannon is the new kill everything item.

and try to get some dreads with heavy flamers so when they get near say a mob of orkz they can shoot off the heavy flamer then assault cannon then *GASP* assault with furious charge

and if you do have a lascannon/meltagun dreadnought, might as well give him a missile launcher and tank hunter.
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by techmarine Rannon Zriker View Post
    oh and don't give your dreads lascannons, meltaguns because the assault cannon is the new kill everything item.
    I'd have to disagree.

I'd outfit at least 2-3 Dreads in the following manner:

Venerable Dreadnought; Twin-Linked Lascannon; Missile Launcher; Extra Armour; Tank Hunters

Deadly anti-tank right there.

I'd also recommend against buying Furious Charge. The only thing it will do for you is give you higher initiative, IF you get the charge, which will almost never happen with something so slow as a Dread, against a smart opponent anyways. Don't waste the points on it.

I like the idea about the Techmarines walking around with the Dreadnoughts... it definitely adds flavor and could be a useful addition. Especially since Techmarines are so rarely used anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Couple of things:

For a 1500 point army, how many dreadnaughts can I use max?

Is Venerable and all that gear really important? I was thinking more along the lines of minimum point dreadnaughts, so I could really max out my troops and other units.

How many people out there carry melta bombs with the assault squads now a days?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

I did this army. Its a lot of fun and very competatice. Just remeber to limit the # of Dreads per points limit. I suggest at most one dread per every 500pt max. otherwise, since ven dreads can get a bit expensive, you won't have a lot for troops. I sugest you don't take flesh over steel as some predators compliment this army nicely. When i did it, i had tons of vehicals, thereby giving my opponent too many options, thereby prolonging the life of my dreadnoughts.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take the anti-bike one so I coulf have an excuse for assault squads.
    and a dev squad goes here nicely because if all your dreads are getting shot down by tau battlesuits, lets just say your Lascannon Dev squad is there to destroy them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would a lascannon dev. squad do something against Tau battlesuits that a dread couldn't do on it's own.
    The battlesuit should not be in LOS to the dev. squads at all. Now if you said bike squad instead of lascannon dev squad I could understand.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast