Is this too cheesy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this too cheesy?

I've been trying to decide for a while now about what sort of force I'll play with my return to the Guard. I've gone through Skitarii, First & Only, Urban and god knows what else. I was looking through my old White Dwarfs last night and stumbled upon the Australian March 2005 issue. It had rules in it for Abhumans...

And a light came on in my head.

Does anyone see this as ridiculously mean?

Abhumans (required to take an extra doctrine to take any abhuman doctrine)
    Afriel Strain (They Shall Know No Fear, All enemies count them as faboured enemy)
    Close Order Drill
    Sharp Shooters
    Tech Priest Enginseers

Now this means that my basic Infantry platoons are Leadership 9 and have They Shall Know No Fear... I have a gun line that is effectively guarenteed not to run Away. This also means that because the basic units are ld 9 I don't have to worry about Vox Casters and I can build up my command squads for other possible uses rather than just leadership. Heh, plasma squads

Does this seem jsut plain mean to you guys or would you be fine to take something like this on?

The Afriel Project was a project to genetically engineer armies in a similar way to the Space Marines of the Adpetus Astartes except the genetic profile of great warriors of the Imperium was used without the extensive muscular and skeletal rebuilding. An unexpected side effect of the genetic melding however caused all Afriel to be born without pigmentation in their eyes, skin or hair.
    After time however Flaws in the proclaimed 'super soldiers' became evident. They seemed to emit a terrible dread that is felt by all those around them. It proved to be extremely useful against their enemies except it made it almsot impossible for the Afriel to work alongside any other Imperial force bar only the most hardy. There are many theories about this but the most likely is that the Afriel are akin to a Psychic Null in that they have no presence in the Warp.
    Whole Imperial Regiments had to be executed for cowardice because they had abandoned their posts not long after Afriel were stationed there.

That is basically what the WD said but with some additions from me. I plan on writing up a full back story for them.
    Also alongside the Afriel I plan to take an Inquisitor to represent one of the Ad Mech Overseers of the project and some Inquisitorial Storm Troopers to represent the Skitarii detachment.

So can I get an opinion on the rough idea I've got here alongside my doctrine choice?

I dreamed you had left my side
    No warmth not even pride remained
    And even though you needed me
    It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

If it is legal, nothing is cheesy or too mean. I'll always stand by that. Now, considering its source, I dont know how legal it is. For my first statement to apply in reference to my opinion, I mean legal in the sense of "tournament" legal. If it would be allowed in tournaments, its legal.

Now if you only plan on playing with buddies and your group is fine with anything printed by GW, or this rule in particular, then it isnt cheesy either, and I say have fun!

Personally, I would have no problem with you using it, even if it wasnt "legal". It isnt incredibly over-powered by any stretch of the imagination. Ld 9 Guard still die like Guard (Im a Guard player it should be noted). Plus, its interesting and you obviously have a liking for the background which will in turn cause you more enjoyment, which is in the end what it is all about.
    Staunch supporter of rigid Moderation.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Looks like a fun army to me, I say go for it.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty certain the rules are legal. They were printed in White Dwarf as being extra Doctrines and even had an editorial about how they were the first of a series of doctrine suplements to be released over the next few years.
    I know they were ok at the last GW tourney down here because a mate of mine was allowed in with his Feral Ogryns list.

The Afriel doctrine is +10 pts per unit. I'll get cracking now to throw together a small combat patrol to put up for critique.
    I dreamed you had left my side
    No warmth not even pride remained
    And even though you needed me
    It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Now, considering its source, I dont know how legal it is. For my first statement to apply in reference to my opinion, I mean legal in the sense of "tournament" legal. If it would be allowed in tournaments, its legal.

Counting stuff from white dwarf as being legal is getting kinda tricky now, what with the new blood angels codex being printed there.

You are of course correct about tournaments, however, in order to use this army at a tournament, you would need to check with the organisers first. They just aint equivalent to imperial fists or 'nids on legal standing.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread