Veteran Sergeants: A Power Fist too far... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veteran Sergeants: A Power Fist too far...

Hello.

I'm currently writing my various Imperial armies up into one large army list, which looks to end up about 10,000 points. I've done the obvious and easy stuff, such as heavy support, i.e. the Tanks and the like, but I've reached troops, and I'm faced with the awful truth.

Now, although 10,000 points is a vast amount, I would still like this list to be a reasonably good list. Call it ego if you will, but I couldn't sleep at night knowing I'd written a bad list. So as we get to the troops, we get to the Veteran sergeants. It looks as though I may have about 10 of them, but maybe more. And no matter how much I gaze at the armoury, I always seem to come to the same conclusion. Give them a power fist.

But I don't want all 10 Veteran Sergeants armed the same! I mean, I've got about a company and a half's worth of Marines here, giving them homogeneous Sergeants would just be utterly dull. Are there any other good weapon combinations for Sergeants out there? Is the Power Fist really the definitive answer to the question 'what to give my Sergeant?'. In all the games I've used power weapons, I've been struck by how slightly under powered they felt. Is there something I'm missing? Or other choices in fact just as good, and I'm being a fool for ruling them out? Or am I just going to have to a) Give them all Power Fists or b) Voluntarily make my army list less efficient in the name of background?

Thanks.

Let Victory Be My Wine

Without Death, Pain loses all relevence
    Without Pain, Death loses all relevence

"Is there anything you dont know about 40K ???" - Friend
    "Well, I still haven't worked out where Termies keep their spare ammo..." - Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Well...they aren't mandatory. It's just that they're cheap enough that they become extraordinarily cost-effective, since it vastly increases what the squad in question can damage - vehicles, monstrous creatures - and actually threatens most HQ units, so it's more a matter of why you wouldn't rather than why you would.

You could mix it up with power weapons here and there - I like to do something special and give a guy a power weapon and a combat shield. The mixed armour rules make it totally redundant, but the models themselves are awesomely good-looking and it's saved my ass from Banshees more than once. Lightning claws will surprise you, considering they cost little more than power fists - there's little difference, since they wound MEQ's about the same, but lightning claws strike at initiative. Sacrificing one's ability to target high-Toughness units, of course.

The simple answer is that I wouldn't do it because, really, a power fist is standard load-out for most sergeants in the fluff - it's a highly iconic weapon. You may opt to dispense them depending on squad function - power fists in the assault squads, swords in the tactical squads - or give them something interesting, like a combi-plasma or a storm bolter, if you intend for them to be shooting - a combi-melta in a Devastator squad might actually be useful, and it's certainly fluffy.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about giving them thunder hammers, its a bit more expensive then power fists but performs the same function and can take out vehicles even better. They also look cool and will add variety to your veteran seargents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Hey Chief!

Just to expand on what has been said, you can have effective Vet Sargs without 'Fists. It just means giving the unit a more defined role too ^_^

Something along the lines of

Thunderhammer + Meltaguns = anti-tank (I use Cleanse and Purify )

Powerfist + Plasmas = anti MEQ

Power Weapon + Flamers = anti-troop

Lightclaws can be mixed in with any of these, as a Heavy T creature killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

The real reason everyone takes the powerfist is because of the discount. If you had to pay the mulitwound price for the powerfist I think we would see much more variety in sargents. Some thunder hammers because for only five more points (instead of 15) you get something slightly better; lightning claws again for just five points more, faster, near the same effectiveness, but difficulty with vehicles and monsterous creatures; then you would have the lowly power weapon, which would be 10 points less instead of 5, and if you have three sargents you could either take fists or two more marines...it would just make the choices more difficult for what to wear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10 View Post
    The real reason everyone takes the powerfist is because of the discount. If you had to pay the mulitwound price for the powerfist I think we would see much more variety in sargents.
    That's exactly what's happening, to the anger and frustration of many Dark Angels and Blood Angels players whose power fist Tactical squads now cost a significant amount more. The hidden power fist is being phased out. For some reason, I don't know - I always thought it was a balanced option for people who wanted a cost-effective way to get rid of or at least harm the Wraithlord that just assaulted your squad, rather than having it wipe out the entire unit and take zero wounds.

That said, I've checked the codex and combi-weapons seem to be nice and cheap on a single-wound model. For now. Could be good for a Devastator squad, or for a Cleanse and Purify tactical squad - get six plasma shots instead of four! With the possibility of killing the Veteran Sergeant himself. Well, you weren't asking for efficient, you were asking for variety, and a combi-plasma gun seems pretty unique for a veteran who may have picked it up on Glamorgjargon XVII.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread