SM vs. Eldar 40k in a flash HELP!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM vs. Eldar 40k in a flash HELP!!

I'm currently conducting a 40k in a flas campaign with a few buddies of mine. I have an SM army (Salamanders) up to 600 points and I am facing an Eldar Army of around the same point value. NOw my problem is we play on a 4 x 4 table and this is his list.

10 Idre Avengers W/ exarch

something that takes 1 attack form mne on a charge
    something that gives a 5+ invulnerable to every1 in squad

3 Reaver jet bikes 1 with cannon

5 Path Finders

5 Dark Reapers

Now the problem is his pathfinders and Dark Reapers take my marines apart as i cross the board. Pinning and AP 3 really sucks. I can almost never get to him in any force to do anything. If he gets first turn he wins, basically. This is made even worse by the fact that we have very little terrain to use. Any advice as to how to take him out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Long Live Xavier!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Consider some Bikers, 3++ saves will be a boon v's Reapers and Pathfinders and you'll get into assault double quick too. Take a couple of flamers if you like.

T5 will make you doubly hard for the Avengers to take in combat. Take cover first turn, and remember that the rulebook says 1/4 of the board should be cover if he gives you any grief about getting more.

Old rules Ravenwing would be perfect, as it is fill up with Scouts infiltrating and with lower armour and pts cost, and Heavy Bolter toting SM's, use cover to the maximum.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

K: the Dire Avengers can put out a ludicrous amount of fire in a single turn, but the range is only 18''. Solution? Heavy bolters. There's only ten of them and they have a 4+ save. The heavy bolter has double their range. He hasn't taken Bladestorm, but he has taken the powerweapon/shimmershield combo and Defend - both of which benefit most in the melee - so he clearly intends to get them into CC. Ergo, shoot the crap out of them.

The Dark Reapers you're so worried about are terribly expensive. Every one costs two of your Marines, and the Exarch should cost about four Marines. You have little terrain, which means you have little cover and he can draw LOS to you practically all the time. Ergo, do one of two things; play shooty, which involves heavy bolters at the Dire Avengers and Rangers and krak missiles at the Dark Reapers, or play assault, which involves one assault squad plus Chaplain, though you could do perfectly well with a Commander. Back these up with tactical squads.

The assault squad closes in terribly fast and can hop all about the place, meaning you can position them out of LOS easily. Bike squads, on the other hand, get into combat even quicker and have higher Toughness, but far less attacks. Include a veteran sergeant with a power weapon in either squad and he'll ignore the Dark Reaper's 3+ save; all he has to to is hit and then wound - easy to do on Eldar - and they're dead. Goodbye five percent of his points. Pick the one you can do best with the models you have.

The Jetbikes sounds scary but they're just armed with shuriken cannons. Massed bolter fire will take them down, they're only T4. I recommend one of two things for the shooty option; a devastator squad with two missile launchers or a devastator squad with two heavy bolters, which is probably all you can afford. The alternative to getting close enough to do something is not getting close at all and doing things from far away. His Jetbikes will close in on you by themselves, so bolters from your tactical squads can take them out, and the Devastator squad can shoot either its heavy bolters or its krak missiles at the Avengers or Reapers respectively. The Rangers sound terrible, but a single round of shooting can totally neutralise them. Heavy weapons - whichever type you didn't put in the Devastator squad - in your tactical squads help this. Now, if you got three eight-man squads with heavy bolters, and a Devastator squad with two missile launchers, and a cheap Master to give your men Ld10 across the board, you're harder to pin, you have range enough to scare him without having to move, and he has to come to you for those Dire Avengers and jetbikes to have any effect.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tHANKS so much for all your help guys what do you tihnk about taking a dreadnought and using it to divert his fire and really soak up the shots. NOt to mention it should tear him apart. Thanks alot all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Hmm. The Dark Reapers might mess with that plan. Their leader can take a two-shot missile launcher for relatively little extra cost, you realise.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play eldar and I have to important notes to you.

1. Do not ever ever take bikes against that force. That is by far the most stupid thing to do(no offence) as pathfinders ignore the T5 and dark reapers negate the 3+ save, killing them on 4+ without a save.

2. You need to get to him fast. It doesn´t matter with what as long as it´s a marine. I´d say that two tactical squads with a flamer each in a rhino should spell definite doom for this guy.

3. Add a land speeder or two for taking out reapers and capturing quarters and your win is pretty much solid from there.

So your list should look something like

10 marines, flamer
    rhino

10 marines, flamer
    rhino

land speeder, heavy bolter, assault cannon

Good luck!
    Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, also dreadnoughts are way too slow to be dangerous to eldar, even if his list is a stationary one.
    Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the insight unfortuntely i am currently rhinoless but no worries ill figure it outr. I think i may take the dread simply becuase he wont be able to take it down...you ee we lock in our lista a day before the game and e/mail to one another thus he wouldnt have taken the DR exarch add/on missile thing. So if anyone has any non rhino strats i would really appreciate it. ty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Avenger View Post
    1. Do not ever ever take bikes against that force. That is by far the most stupid thing to do(no offence) as pathfinders ignore the T5 and dark reapers negate the 3+ save, killing them on 4+ without a save.
    Unless, of course, he turbo-boosts.

2. You need to get to him fast. It doesn´t matter with what as long as it´s a marine. I´d say that two tactical squads with a flamer each in a rhino should spell definite doom for this guy.
    Rhinos against Dark Reapers? With flamers? Why not plasma guns - they'll kill more and have a longer range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you do take a dread, drop pod it into his reapers, they will be forced to move and won't be able to shoot him, thus enter the assault phase :ninja:

an assault squad of 5 strong is a way to mess with his day, attempt to bring them into the avengers, shielding behind the other marines and when the dread drops in, BAM bye bye rangers

as for the bikes... well i don't think you'll get them until the dread leaves combat and shoots them

but don't take my advice as scripture, i am far from experienced in these things, although if someone could point out the flaws in my plan i think it'd help us all
    Ok fellows we have a difficult task, so we have to be more deadly than everyday.
    Make mistakes and confuse the enemy - The Doctor
    Tactics are nice but it is violence that wins the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast