Potentially Spiffy Rough Rider Proxies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Potentially Spiffy Rough Rider Proxies

I had the idea today that the Tyranid models that come in the 40k Battle for Macragge starter set could make excellent Rough Rider Proxies.

You could field a mixture of Genestealers, Termigaunts, and if need be spore mines, as regular Rough Rider models and then use an imperial psyker as the sergent. Fluff wise the idea would be that the Imperium has found a particularly potent new breed of 'nid from Leviathan that responds to human psykers. The psyker corrals the 'Nids to do his bidding. 'Nids already have similar rules to calvary with fleet of claw etc, so their movement values as rough riders are fluffy. Fleshborers are almost the same stateline as laspistols, and lastly this strain of Tyranid has adrenal glands that can cause them to go into a short battle frenzy with hightened strength and ferocity, a la hunting lances.

While I don't think it'd fly at RTT, it would be fun in some minor league and friendly games. It makes more use of the box set, and it gives a fluffy reason for Marines, other IG, and Inquisition to fight your guard. (Using the Tyranid as a weapon? Herasey!)

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

I'm afraid I just can't really see a mere human psyker overpower the presence of the hive mind.

Nice idea though.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I don’t think he was talking about a human taking on the hive mind, just a few left behind Nids on some bombarded plaint. I believe that you could do it, BUT like you said it would only fly on a friendly level.
    Finally it would be Heresy so watch out for the inquisition knocking down your door.
    Last edited by zabien; June 12th, 2007 at 07:53. Reason: just adding to it
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Genestealer Magus!

As for the proxying, it is really just proxying, not a decent use of "counts as" Hormaguants are the closest analogue to rought riders and they don't have the lances. maybe if you used the parts to kitbash something that looks like a true lance-carrying beast, it would work better.

I was actually thinking of something similar in using cold ones, but instead of making them all knights, I'd add a harness with lance on the front to represent a big pokey stick added buy the adeptus mechanus. I'd also greenstuff some servator-looking applicances to make them look proper. Haven't worked it all out yet...
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

141 (x3)

I don’t think he was talking about a human taking on the hive mind, just a few left behind Nids on some bombarded plaint. I believe that you could do it, BUT like you said it would only fly on a friendly level.
    Finally it would be Heresy so watch out for the inquisition knocking down your door.
    Exactly. I had the models already, and it was a good use of otherwise useless troops. Agreed on the Inquisition as well. I'll definetally have puritans at my door and radicals at my back.

Genestealer Magus!
    , and actually, that'd probably be the best fluff reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    I was actually thinking of something similar in using cold ones, but instead of making them all knights, I'd add a harness with lance on the front to represent a big pokey stick added buy the adeptus mechanus. I'd also greenstuff some servator-looking applicances to make them look proper. Haven't worked it all out yet...
    I had a similar idea, too. I was thinking of taking Tyranid models, and mounting a big servitor-esque implant in their heads, possibly with an antenna sticking out. You could even strap a laspistol on their heads... :shifty:

It probably wouldn't fly at a tournament, which is why I haven't tried it yet, but I say that if you already have the pieces, go for it!
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

+ Reply to Thread