Librarium Online Forums banner

EXTREMELY Infantry heavy armies

983 views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Cadaver Junkie 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I've been trying to come up with some new angles for my Imps and I've been considering an extremely infantry heavy army. Not just 80 plus models of infantry but maybe up to 3 or 4 full platoons. It'd be probably a 1,500 pts to ~2,000pt army. Other than price and time for painting/modeling, does anyone have some thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Maybe pricey, how many squads do you intend to put in each platoon? You still must consider heavy weapons, special weapons, elites, your HQ and there support squads. Maybe even some heavy weapon platoons.
I myself have never gotten more then 2 and maybe a small third platoon in a game but then again I bulk up with 3 to 4 squads in each platoon. Could be doable, but transporting it might be a problem if you intend to take more then 120 men.

#3 ·
Transportation won't really be a problem and the cost for 40k models really isn't a problem. I was wondering if it would be an effective fighting force. I'd have a few Anti-tank squads as support and it would be light on vehicles but have anywhere form 3 to 4 or 5 full platoons.

#4 · (Edited)
I haven't test driven mine yet, but folks swear by Infantry-Only guard. The benefit is that you give your opponent nothing to do with all their Anti-Tank/Anti-MEQ weapons and have tons of bodies in turn.

You can take heavy weapons platoons with nice, cheap heavy bolter squads to create some mayhem.

The problems are:
Getting rolled in CC by "unshootable Harliquins"
Filling your deployment zone

Drop Troops seem like a must since a gunline with 200+ men is insanely dense deployment...

I tapped out a quick 2000 point list in armybuilder with 3 vet squads, 2 demo charges, 2 full platoons and a heavy platoon:
It gave me 174 men with a LOT of lascannons, heavy bolters, a few missile launchers and pile of plasma guns.

#5 ·
Getting rolled in CC by "unshootable Harliquins"
Even that aint so difficult to overcome - just use the old 'bait' tactic, where you seperate the squads they will be able to charge by just over 6". When they wipe the squad out, they'll be stranded - then you can move all your other guys in and rapid fire from like 1 or 2 inches away. They wont (Read - 'shouldn't') survive that.

I ran an all infantry 1200 point battle (secure and control) the other day vs iron warriors (oh ok, I had one sentinel). He had a vindicator, obliterators, dreadnought and lots of lascannons etc, which didn't help him much.

Was a good game, close in the end but I managed to reduce his units to non-scoring status.

So yeah, I think it works pretty well as a style of army.

#6 ·
Was a good game, close in the end but I managed to reduce his units to non-scoring status.

So yeah, I think it works pretty well as a style of army.
thats basically what youll have to do with an all infantry army is reduce his units to non-scoring. Unless the game is victory points or meat grinder.

Just be sure to take a lot of heavy weapons and special weapons, becuase youll need something to make up for the lack of tanks. The guard will have to become more than just targets, they have to become effective at killing other units.

#8 ·
I agree. Another problem with deployment would be if you're using big platoons, your army is going to deploy quicker than the opponent's.

I would recommend keeping the platoons to the minimum PHQ+2 Squads, and be sure to fill in your elites slots with vets or stormies - maybe even some ratlings.

Heavy Weapon Platoons work well for a feint, it's the first unit you deploy so your opponent deploys his tanks to avoid it... but then down the line a little bit, your HQ deploys, with 2 more anti-tank squads, and the enemy tanks are already in position for them.

Basically, try to fill up your FO Slots. It'll give you a better mix of diverse units, and make deployment more tactical.

Opting to DS or infiltrate things helps too. Elite choices are good for this, as is the DT doctrine, which I would strongly recommend - it's free, and optional, so there's nothing to lose.

If done right, all-infantry guard armies are brutal to play against. They negate half your enemy's firepower, and churn out a ridiculous amount of wounds, targets, and options. Just one downside.... You have to PAINT them all! :x Good luck!

#9 ·
In White Dwarf #285 OCT03 the battle report did a full inf army and it worked well. I play an all inf army and you need to either drop or infiitrate so units or you are barrage bait. I once got 15 troops killed in one ordance shot. Also take lots of karskins and veterans as they will supply alot of bit as lasguns sometimes don't do much, though they sometimes fluck out, don't rely on them. Heavy weapon squads are a must especially autocannons. ogyrns also work well.

#10 ·
This can be a very effective and deadly strategy. A player from my local GW plays a very infantry heavy IG army without any doctrines. Even though I would call his army a bit too realistic, making it a little boring to play as on average when I play him he outnumbers me on a ratio of 5:1 at least and I have to admit that its very difficult to succesfully get past his enormous troop body when every single infantry unit has a chance of hidding something. Its also very annnoying to play agaisnt such person who has over 200 bodies on the field, as each time I slaugter one squad in CC, I turn to face 3 more coming at me.

His idea centers around keeping each squad as cheap as possible. Usualy having each equiped with plasma gun/grenade launcher and sometimes sergeants with power weapons. A standard platoon unit ends up being about 81 points but he has at least 3-4 platoons on top of at least one full conscript platoon. For Heavy weapons, he uses heavy weapon teams or just standard russ/basilisk combo. Basicaly, his army is extremely competative and I would recommend it to any IG player who wants to field similar strategy.

#11 ·
His idea centers around keeping each squad as cheap as possible. Usualy having each equiped with plasma gun/grenade launcher and sometimes sergeants with power weapons. A standard platoon unit ends up being about 81 points but he has at least 3-4 platoons on top of at least one full conscript platoon. For Heavy weapons, he uses heavy weapon teams or just standard russ/basilisk combo. Basicaly, his army is extremely competative and I would recommend it to any IG player who wants to field similar strategy.
Ah yes I forgot about the conscripts! IMO, conscripts are awesome. They bolster the numbers, they're dirt cheap, and they add a whole new flavor to the army. I used to like 20-50 conscripts with as many flamers as possible, led by an independent commissar, but lately I have fallen in love with taking 20-50 conscripts with heavy bolters, and just keeping them out front, to benefit from the Ld bubble, provide a Gretchin-screen that the enemy has to test to shoot past, and of course... pump out a crap-ton of dakka. I've been thinking about giving them grenade launchers too, maybe some other time.

WraithGuardian, that guy's army sounds sweet, except does he not field heavy weapons in his squads?? Although I guess if you're talking 80 points a squad he must be, unless he's giving them all sarges w/ pw's, which I wouldn't recommend... wait... Are vet-sarges allowed to take power weapons, or are those officer-only?

#14 ·
It is my understanding that only Veteran Squad Sergeants, Storm Trooper Sergeants, and Rough Rider Sergeants are able to buy power weapons from the armory. A standard Infantry Platoon Veteran Sergeant is not allowed the power weapon option. My Codex isn't to hand though so I cannot verify that.

#15 ·
It is my understanding that only Veteran Squad Sergeants, Storm Trooper Sergeants, and Rough Rider Sergeants are able to buy power weapons from the armory. A standard Infantry Platoon Veteran Sergeant is not allowed the power weapon option. My Codex isn't to hand though so I cannot verify that.
This is correct. Very much correct.

So yeah, sorry WraithGuardian, but the guy you know, if he actually does field sergeants with powerweapons (other than the sergeant types listed above), eg, standard infantry platoon sergeant with a powersword, then he is cheating.
Power weapon can be given to everyone
This is most definitely not true! :)

#16 ·
This is correct. Very much correct.

So yeah, sorry WraithGuardian, but the guy you know, if he actually does field sergeants with powerweapons (other than the sergeant types listed above), eg, standard infantry platoon sergeant with a powersword, then he is cheating.

This is most definitely not true! :)
True, my fault for not having the codex with me.:((

#17 · (Edited)
wouldn't really be so harsh as to call it cheating but it really probably either is just misinformed and/or misunderstanding the rules as with regard to the ruling on power weapons with anybody or just officers or the sgts you aftfore mentioned

edit: and if this is so that only those aftfore mentioned units can use them, then this news must be spread to the many because there probably are many people who don't know this, including myself (as i don't fee llike looking at the codex in my current state). one of which is the drop troop carapace chem-inhaler army list guy who's equiping just about all his squads with vet sgts with power weapons and plasma pistols.

and this guy too, cause i figured if you aint an officer you're just some enlisted/conscripted like everyone else and i don't think vet sgts of diff units get special treament from those of other units.

#18 ·
and this guy too, cause i figured if you aint an officer you're just some enlisted/conscripted like everyone else and i don't think vet sgts of diff units get special treament from those of other units.
Well, I guess they are all just grunts- but some will have earned the respect to be allowed to use a power weapon (or even a power fist for a veteran squad sergeant).

Rough riders are more likely to be seen as heroic, dashing off and assaulting the enemy, acting independantly behind enemy lines, it goes with the background that they would be given powerswords. Their sergeants are closer to being officers anyway - some probably are. Aristocrats and their horses.

Storm troopers are the best of the best that the imperial armies can muster (aside from space marines, but they aren't really imperial anyway, so thats different).
They are given the best training, and access to the best equipment such as targetters, hellguns, carapace armour. It follows suit that their sergeants will be seen as somewhat higher in rank than their equivalent amongst the regular grunts, something which probably adds to their derided reputation as glory boys. Thus, they would have more access to power weapons.

As for veteran squads, well, these are soldiers that have survived for very long periods of protracted warfare, probably several campaigns. They know how to act in varying situations, and thus would more freely be given the equipment neccessary to fully carry this to effect. More than this, they would have collected trophies and other wargear throughout their battles/warzones, and the higher-ups might turn a blind eye to the occasional powersword or fist slipping through, knowing that these guys work better without being told what to do all the time. (Until some new general [read: me] decides to give 3 of them plasmaguns and deepstrike them right into enemy lines. Whup - there goes over 100 years of collective battle experiance in one hit, but at least they took out that leman russ {confused} )

Everyone else, is simply expected to die for the emporer, but not before running out of ammo, or breaking their bayonet. No powersword for you. A veteran sergeant is expected to run out of ammo, pick up some dead green grunt's unused gun, and then run out of ammo on that too, before dying).

Just my thoughts, mind you. Dont consider them gospel either, I hear thats a path to insanity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.