space wolves against tau ~ help? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

space wolves against tau ~ help?

{confused} I played in a rogue trader last weekend with my space wolves and either got really unlucky or just don't know what I'm doing. I've just started playing (eight games total now) and have used pretty much the same list each time. The previous five games I played I thought I did really well since I hadn't ever played before and was playing some veteren players. I whooped up on Ultramarines and Black Templars and narrowly lost against some Eldar and tied a demon prince led khorne army.

The first 2 armies I played in the tournament were tau. I had never played them before and got smoked. The first guy had 3 hammerheads and at least 3 firewarrior squads and a bunch of stealth and crisis suits.
    The second army had less hammer heads, but a few more firewarriors and more crisis suits.
    I was rarely able to get into combat and basically got shot to death anytime I got remotely close. (I also got food poisoning shortly after the first game which didn't help much either)
    My question is, "Is this just an army I don't match up well against (very shooty vs combat oriented) or is it just the way I was playing or both?" The scenario in the second game really screwed me over and the opponent changing the definition of some of the terrain right after I had deployed all my tanks didn't help either. I'm just wondering if was just having a bad day or what. The 3rd game I think was a draw (I wond by 250+ points) against the Chaos Khorne guy again.
    This is the list I was using
    - HQ
    Wolf Guard Battle Leader
    – Frostblade, Belt of Russ (4+Wd), Wolf Pelt, Runic Armor (2+AS), Boltpistol
    Rune Priest
    – Frostblade, Wolf Pelt, Runic Staff (extra hd wpn Psychic Hood), terminator armor Venerable Dreadnought
    - Assault cannon; extra armor, smoke
    - ELITES
    Scouts x6 - 2xPlasma pistol, 2x power weapons, 1x meltagun, melta bombs (CC + bolt pistols)
    - FAST ATTACK
    Landspeeder Tornado x1
    Assault cannon, Hvy Bolter
    Landspeeder Tornado x1
    Assault cannon, Hvy Bolter
    - TROOPS
    Grey Hunter Squad x9 Plasma Gun, PFist, PWpn (Bolters and CCW)
    Rhino with Smoke
    Blood Claws Pack x15 Melta Gun, PFistx3, (CC + BoltPistols + frag grenades)
    Blood Claws Pack x9 Melta Gun, PFistx2, (CC + BoltPistols + frag grenades)
    Rhino with Smoke
    - HEAVY SUPPORT
    - Predator extra armor, Lascannon and Heavy Boltersponsons
    - Predator extra armor, Lascannon and Heavy Boltersponsons
    – Vindicator extra armor, smoke

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems like a solid list.

Were you OBELing your scouts?

I'd have to say that he was just plain lucky with his rolls, you shouldn't have had much of a problem with smokey rhinos.

Either way, cover is your friend.

Like you I havn't played much tau, none with my Space Wolves. Good luck next time, I hope I helped you some.
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

yeah - inthe first game the scouts took out a hammerhead. In the second game, they killed most of a kroot horde.
    My problem is that all of the tau seem to have 2-3 different weapons or at least 2-3 different shots. They are tons more mobile than me with their jump packs. He got the first turn on both games (I was rolling pretty horrible) but I just couldn't ever reach him. With the number of blood claws I run, I'm not very shooty compared to either of the tau. I failed every leadership/pinning test in the second game ~ maybe that's what made the difference, I should have been assaulting in turn 2-3 but instead I was standing there pinned or fleeing off the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Well, Mech Tau is arguably one of the strongest, if not the strongest army out atm. The suits all have great weapons, and will usually be out of line of sight thanks to the Jump/Shoot/Jump rule.

The best way to beat them is to know what to expect. Look through the Tau Codex sometime and learn about what weapons their units can take and thier special abilities. Also try to play some Tau players in your area.

Also, as a Mech force, he is going to try to focus all of his fire power in very concentrated areas to try to even the odds. Mech forces in general don't have the numbers or overall firepower to fight a battle fo attrition. Keep your army together (if anything strays off its going to get shot and killed). If you do manage to get into CC with Tau, GG you win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bikers are excellent for this.

Remember that Tau don't have any barrage weapons. You are relatively safe behind cover (beware smart missiles, broadsides and some tanks have em, like a heavy bolter with an extra shot that ignores LOS).

Just don't stop moving forward. I play my mech tau against my space wolf player a lot, and I always win because I make him afraid to move into the open. Therefore he has to stand and shoot, not a good idea for space wolves against a mech tau force.

Really, you need to maintain your momentum. You have no idea how atrociously good you will do in CC against regular Tau soldiers. Hell, Imperial Guard beat Tau.

Other than that, make sure you set up your (I think fairly necesary) long fang squad up in an excellent starting position to give cover fire against Tau vehicles.

Predators, IMO, aren't a good idea against mech tau. The mech. Tau have such unbelievably good and mobile anti-tank that most space marines vehicles are just bait for the Tau. Something like, "Hey, free VP's."

You should replace both predators with a long fang sqad and a blood claw biker squad. More troops, faster troops, and giving that railgun not much to do except pick off one marine a turn. Better than a predator a turn.

Also, Mech Tau is a very strong army right now. But so are space wolves. Good luck and I hope I helped.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with mech tau, is that they take away one of their inherent weakness-- their fairy-like fighting stature; Since assaulting a hammerhead will likely let you swing and wiff because you need 6's to hit, and their probably not going to let you assault their fire warriors ala "fish of fury".... What you'll essentially need to do is give massive amounts of firepower at their rear armor; maybe your scouts, land speeders could do this? ( I use drop pods) And failing this, you could probably try to get close, and hope for a good role on the glancing chart with your plasma and melta guns. The "good" thing about playing this army, is that once the tanks are dead, they lose A LOT of firepower (and mobility)... and as long as you penetrate, you at least prevent them from shooting.... as for crisis suits... damn they're annoying, that's all I got, hope it helped...

and yeah, mech tau are a match-up problem for every army not called mech eldar, and perhaps drop pod armies. (maybe more, but I know these armies do well against them)

P.S. How do you use your vindicator? Mine is ALWAYS dead by turn 3, and I'm lucky if I get to fire it's demolisher cannon once a game? Just curious?

+ Reply to Thread