Sniper's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sniper's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper's

Hey, I am planning on starting a space marine army and just have a few questions. I used to play tau before the new book came out and i loved how you basic troops with pulse carbine (i think) could pin units in place, i always found this useful for keeping certain units where i wanted them.
    Now i have never really used snipers so i do not no how useful they are. Is a unit of scouts with all snipers worth it for keeping key units at bay? Are there any armies they are particularly useful against? And finally as i havent played 40k in a while (switched to fantasy for a bit) is pinning even still useful in games?
    Thanks
    LordNgrak

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Pinning can be useful in games...or it can be a waste of time. It's usually worth taking a single 5 man with 4-5 snipers and, maybe, a heavy weapon for use against: low leadership hordes (orks), low leadership shooters (tau/imp. guard), or WRAITHLORDS (eldar, if you didn't know). The last bit applies to many monsterous creature if they don't have +2 armor. Trust me, never rely on people failing armor save, just be happy when they do.
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper rifles = deadly affective against Low LD armies, or high toughness creatures, anything other than that and it's usually a waste of points..

A Scout sniper is 3 pts more per model than a bolter equipped marine, can't move and shoot, and has a AVG armor save.

So unless those shots are going to count (non MEQ, or high toughness models) really no point in it.

There's NO denying their effectiveness at ALL, i mean 2 squads of sniper scouts can cause 2 pinning checks per turn with good rolling even on MEQ's, but truely IMHO, when they really shine is when a 5 man sniper squad w/ heavy bolter plinks a carnifex/bloodthirster/deamon prince ETC ETC from 36" away on turn 1-2 and it dies due to failed armor saves.

I mean that's my motto..
    Lascannons are nice and so are cracks, but really..making something (squad, MC, TMC, GD) take 40 armor saves is more likely to kill it than denying it 1 per turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a thing called the "cetan" night bringer that has RIDICULOUS stats, with RIDICULOUS abilities to go along with it.... but only a 4 + invulnerable save Problem is it's toughness 8... snipers would totally own the night bringer, and trust me, you DON'T want to have to take this thing on in close combat... Even if you win (unlikely), everyone within D 6 of the beast takes a wound with no armour save alowed.. yes, even in death it still fs you up...:cry:

They are effective against demons, and pretty much any monstrous creature that is limited to an invulnerable save.... and I wouldn't count on something as iffy as pinning to help you win games, think of it as a gift, but don't expect it...

Also, don't forget that a role of a 6 to hit makes it an ap 1 weapon....

On another note, why can't snipers, well, snipe? It'd make them so much more useful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Scion View Post

Also, don't forget that a role of a 6 to hit makes it an ap 1 weapon....
    Not regular ones, that's just Eldar Rangers.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Scout Snipers are a double edged sword.

One side, they can devistate low Ld armies and force a lot of armor saves on MCs and TMCs. On the other hand, a lot of armies in 40k have above average Ld and decent saves.

They can be a huge annoyence. Since they Scout and Infiltrate, you can pretty much put them where you want them.

If you want hoardes of awseome snipers, play Eldar. Pathfinders are the best snipers in the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

They are pretty useful. Especially against armies with low leadership. The infiltration part makes them good to. If you end up versing tau or gaurd and you put a missile launcher in the squad you might be able to blow up tank on first turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

+ Reply to Thread