IG allies question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG allies question

I play Daemon hunters with an exclusivity to just grey knights. the only human is the inquisitor lord. now i want to take IG allies, because i want them to soak up some hits, as well as having maybe a lascannon or heavy bolter so that they are actually posing a threat. Would this be a good desicion.

here is my list with the IG( points, amounts, and upgrades not included)

Grandmaster
    Retinue

Inquisitor lord
    retinue

assasin

3 squads of grey knights

4 squads of IG
    command squad

dreadnought
    leman russ
    orbital bombardment

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

It is a good idea to put IG with your Knights, IMO, but it looks like you have done it illegally.

You CAN take 4 troop squads with one command squad, but then you can't take a Leman Russ. To do that you need to take two separate troop choices, ie two full platoons, two Armored Fist squads or a combination of both. This means you need two command squads with your 4 troop squads.

I like to equip all my IG squads with Lascannons, Plasma Guns and Veteran Sgts. It gives my Knights something they lack, high strength and low AP weaponry.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I think if you used Armoured Fist Squads you might be better off. You would still get a wall of IG for your opponent to shoot at might not be quite as big but it'd still work. And with two more vehicles on the field with heavy bolters or whatnot, those things can pose a threat, so your opponent might shoot at those instead of your dreadnought/leman russ, at least until he blows them up.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    I think if you used Armoured Fist Squads you might be better off. You would still get a wall of IG for your opponent to shoot at might not be quite as big but it'd still work. And with two more vehicles on the field with heavy bolters or whatnot, those things can pose a threat, so your opponent might shoot at those instead of your dreadnought/leman russ, at least until he blows them up.
    agreed- if you add a chimera as transport for one of your IG squads then you have the 2 troops choices (1 infantry platoon- and 1 armoured fist squad) you would need to have a command squad (HQ) and a seperate Junior officer command squad for your infantry platoon. As you would then have all the required choices you could add a Leman Russ for your Heavy support option.

Just a quick question for Diggums Hammer..with allied contingents wouldnt you need to comply with the requirements of the IG list as a seperate entity i.e to take an armoured fist squad you would need to take a normal infantry platoon as well? or in your post were you assuming the use of doctrines..its a while since i read the allied bit in the DH book!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

first off, the FAQ on allies. Essential reading for all Inquisitorial armies of an allying nature.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...646-post2.html

good read.
    If you're using DH as the parent list, you don't need to take a platoon, and don't need a command squad.

I highly recommend the twin Armored Fists if you're unlocking to get a Russ. or even to get sentinels, or Rough Riders...

I know it sounds good to have two platoons. lots of wounds and bodies. I like that IG strategy. It can work for IG. We're not IG. We've got things we'd like to see on the field that can shoot straighter. Two Armored fists give similar firepower down range to your full platoon. Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, and pintle Heavy Stubber adds up to a lot of long range shots. Throw in an Autocannon in the Squad, and you're making a lot of noise. sit them near each other, and throw mid-strength shots long range.

Long range noise gets attention. The attention put towards the two fists is usually welcome. I'm sure you'd rather have the enemy shoot at a squad and a chimera rather than at your Dreadnought, Exorcist, or Grey Knights. plus, with the spam of fire going down range, the enemy will stay a bit under cover. Letting your forces advance.

The other advantage of having 2 chimeras is an increased armor presence. If you only have a few armored units on the field, it's easy to take them out. When you opponent has to choose between 5-6 armored threats, it's a lot trickier. The ones you NEED to survive have a higher chance of doing so.

Leman Russ tank. wow. I love inducting one. I usually feel I should paint or model a giant magnet on the thing though. It draws fire. Your enemy might even ignore your other armored options. Hull Down is your friend.

good luck!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Thanks for the link Farmpunk! very informative and my question is certainly answered...and now i have a good reason to get that Grey Knight unit painted, finally my IG will be able to compete in CC!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. July 5th, 2007, 18:32