Id like help improving my Ultra Marines army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id like help improving my Ultra Marines army

I havent been playing for too long and id just like to hear some advice on what i should change or get to use for my default set up
    've been rebuilding it over and over,since im fairly new at warhammer I was wanting to know how my latest armys doing,its served me alot better than my others but Id still like advice on how it seems

1500 points

HQ: Epistolary
    1 Epistolary @
    Force Weapon; Storm Bolter; Veil of Time; Psychic Hood; Terminator Command Squad; Vortex of Doom
    1 Psychic Hood
    1 Terminator Armor
    4 Terminator Command Squad
    Storm Bolter (x3); Chain Fist (x4); Assault Cannon (x1); Cyclone Missile Launcher (x1)
    1 Sergeant @
    Lightning Claw (x1); Combi-Meltagun

Troops: Tactical Squad
    4 Tactical Squad
    Boltgun (x2); Meltagun (x1); Lascannon (x1)
    1 Sergeant
    Storm Bolter; Terminator Honors

Troops: Tactical Squad 4 Tactical Squad
    Boltgun (x2); Plasmagun (x1); Lascannon (x1)
    1 Sergeant @
    Boltgun

Heavy Support: Vindicator 1 Vindicator @ 160 Pts
    Demolisher Cannon; Storm Bolter; Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Hunter Killer Missile; Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter

1 Venerable Dreadnought
    Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter; Extra Armor

1 Epistolary
    Melta Bombs; Force Weapon; Storm Bolter; Might of Heroes; Psychic Hood; Storm of the Emperor's Wrath
    1 Psychic Hood
    4 Devastator Squad
    Heavy Bolter (x2); Lascannon (x1); Multi-Melta (x1)
    1 Sergeant
    Melta Bombs; Lightning Claw (x1); Combi-Meltagun; Terminator Honors

1 Dreadnought
    Dreadnought CCW; Heavy Flamer; Twin Linked Lascannon; Extra Armor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this list is a little out of whack, try organising it a bit more into HQ, ELITES, TROOPS, FAST ATTACK and HEAVY SUPPORT. technically dreads are elites.

also the entrys themselves i.e.

TROOPS:
    5x Tactical marines w/ bolters, meltagun, lascannon, termie honours, storm bolter.

Advice: If this list works for you then dont change it but if it were me I wouldnt take melta/las in one squad. the melta gun has too short a range to be useful alongside a four foot tank sniper.

the las plas is good though and is pretty popular with most.

also with an expensive "take on all comers" HQ I would invest in some teleport homers, it is such a good feeling to be able to put your terminators were you want them, just make sure there is a squad nearby with a tele homer.

One last thing I cant understand what that devestator squad is doing, is the epistolary joining them? if so why has he got might of heroes?

overall there are not enough troops for my liking and too many expensive HQ's and vet. sergents.

also this needs to go in the army list sub-forum, one of the mod's will change it for you though so just remeber it for your other lists.
    Last edited by davidH; July 12th, 2007 at 02:13.
    Total 40k: >5000pts
    total WFB: ~2000pts
    I also enjoy good music, fine food, late night strolls on the beach and dancing in moonkin form :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

david's right your army list set up is a bit confusing

the terminator sarg lightning claw combi melta is a new idea but i dont think it works i mean whats the point that weps main use is anti-tank and if your close enough to use it with the melta rule you might as well charge and use the powerfists to turn it into a wreck this then lets you use the massacre move to move towords the enermy, into or behind the wreck for cover or back to your own lines.

1 Sergeant

this guy from the dev squad has a weird idea of wot his squad does he's perfectly equiped for a combat squad as the dev's should be at the back of the field away from the fighting and he is standing there armed to the teeth for combat wasting points

the librarian in the dev squad is just ................. wasteful. he is a man that can turn a squad to mush and kill demons (with a bit of luck) and he is sitting at the back on his arse with spells that cant reach across the bored (he should be a codicier with fury of the ancient back here). i personly would replace him for a master cos he cheaper and for rites of battle plus a little trick i like is that your epistolary is attached to his command squad so he cant leave it. Put the master behind the command squad and in your turn make him join the command squad this makes two powerful warriors in a squad of terminators, problem is they attract alot of fire (theres a tactic forming)

I like your choice in dreadnoughts (two is expensive but worth the killing power)

whats the point of a P-mounted storm bolter if the Vindicator has a storm bolter already

also if you have any extra points increase the tactical squad size or even turn one into a assault unit in case you fight a strong shooty army like TAU(add dramatic evil music hear)

P.S. Soz about longness but i have the habit of see all the bad things about lists :hmm:
    Last edited by Servent of The Emperor; July 12th, 2007 at 21:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

My advice would be to put all of your models in a large pillow case, then beat your opponent over the head with it, as I think this is the only way you will do any real damage against a decent opponent.

The number one rule when making a list: Give a squad a job. Then give them equipment to do that job, and ONLY that job.
    Squads should be kept as cheap as possible. Each time you are thinking about adding wargear that costs points, you should be thinking…does this help the squad accomplish it's job, and if it does, does it help more then another marine (which is probably close to the same amount of points as the wargear you just added)

So, using this rule, lets take a look at all of your units.

Quote Originally Posted by SilasHand View Post
    HQ: Epistolary
    1 Epistolary @
    Force Weapon; Storm Bolter; Veil of Time; Psychic Hood; Terminator Command Squad; Vortex of Doom
    1 Psychic Hood
    1 Terminator Armor
    4 Terminator Command Squad
    Storm Bolter (x3); Chain Fist (x4); Assault Cannon (x1); Cyclone Missile Launcher (x1)
    1 Sergeant @
    Lightning Claw (x1); Combi-Meltagun
    First, you have 1 Assault Cannon (anti-troop) and one CML (anti-tank) your sergeant has a VERY expensive piece of CC wargear (TOTALLY wasting the power weapon he comes with FREE) and a single use anti-tank weapon. So this squad is currently trying to fill 3 rolls. Anti-tank, anti-troop, and Assault. Also, Vortex of Doom us the biggest waste of points. There are MUCH better powers to take.
    Recommendation: I'm not a big fan of having a single Terminator squad in a 1500 point list. But if you really want to keep them, drop all the extra wargear from the Sergeant, and swap the CML for an AssCannon. Reduce the Librarian to a Codicier and go with either Fear of the Darkness or Fury of the Ancients.

Troops: Tactical Squad
    4 Tactical Squad
    Boltgun (x2); Meltagun (x1); Lascannon (x1)
    1 Sergeant
    Storm Bolter; Terminator Honors
    Ok, here you have stayed true to the golden rule. This unit has a single job and good equipment to fulfill that role. However do you think it's effective to have a gun with a 6 inch effective range paired with a gun that has a 4 foot effective range? Also, you typically don't want to waste points on T-Honors for sergeants that are not going to be purchasing Wargear. If you want the Leadership bonus, better to have a Master in the list.

Troops: Tactical Squad 4 Tactical Squad
    Boltgun (x2); Plasmagun (x1); Lascannon (x1)
    1 Sergeant @
    Boltgun
    No problems here. It's a bit boring, but it's your standard 5 man las/plas squad.

Heavy Support: Vindicator 1 Vindicator @ 160 Pts
    Demolisher Cannon; Storm Bolter; Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Hunter Killer Missile; Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter
    Way, Way to much wargear on this guy. HK is a waste of points, as is the Pintle SB. The absolute best configuration for a Vindicator is Power of the Machine Spirit, and nothing else. (with PotMS you don't need Extra Armor, as the same function is included)

1 Venerable Dreadnought
    Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter; Extra Armor
    I don't think TL Heavy Bolter is a valid option in the Space Marine Codex, go with the assault cannon. Also, I have always felt that a CCW dread should have a H-Flamer, and should be drop podded. Otherwise he is just too slow to gain back his points. And IMO Venerable is too expensive for this configuration. Venerable is best left for a Las/Missile dread with Tank Hunters. But ultimately, there is nothing really wrong with this..so stick with it if it works for you and you like it.

1 Epistolary
    Melta Bombs; Force Weapon; Storm Bolter; Might of Heroes; Psychic Hood; Storm of the Emperor's Wrath
    1 Psychic Hood
    4 Devastator Squad
    Heavy Bolter (x2); Lascannon (x1); Multi-Melta (x1)
    1 Sergeant
    Hmm…space marines have the most over-inflated characters in the game, and you have 2 of the most expensive, even by SM terms. Not a good use of points IMO. This squad has so many problems…Where should I start? Melta Bombs on a squad that does not move is a waste, anyone with a single LC is a total waste of points, but even doubly so on a squad that does not move. Again you have a melta gun (super short range) paired with long range weapons. And finally, I cannot imagine a less efficient combination of weapons then 2 HB's a LasCannon and a MM. You have 2 anti-troop weapons and 2 anti-tank weapons. But one of your anti-tank weapons has HALF the range of the other. AND…both of these weapons are WAY to expensive in a devastator squad. You really want LasCannons is tac squads, not Dev squads.
    Recommendation: Drop the whole squad, or go with 4 HB's and a plain sergeant with no wargear. Replace the Librarian with a Master that has a minimum amount of wargear. Also, you typically want 1 bolter wielding marine for every heavy weapon wielding marine in a dev squad. Otherwise, the squad does not have enough wounds, and your opponent can knock out it's firepower too easily.

1 Dreadnought
    Dreadnought CCW; Heavy Flamer; Twin Linked Lascannon; Extra Armor
    Once again, we don't want an squad set up 50% assault and 50% shooting. Either replace the CCW with a Missile Launcher, or replace the Lascannon for an Assault Cannon.

And looking at what you have as a whole…You need more bodies. The bolter weilding marine is the backbone of most good Space Marine lists, and you just have way to few of them.

+ Reply to Thread