Re: Blood Angels weapon options - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Re: Blood Angels weapon options

Okay, let me get this straight.

According to the new White Dwarf update, I can give a company captain:

- a plasma pistol
    - a combi-melta
    - and a pair of lightning claws.

Which actually adds up to needing four hands.

Is this a bug? Because if it's a bug it's a really, really obvious one. I can also get a Venerable Death Company Furioso, and Librarians can't take jump packs for some reason. Presumably it's because they have Wings of Sanguinius, but the problem with regular Librarians who aren't Mephiston is that they can only use one psychic power per turn. So their jump pack is replaced by an ability that a) may not work and b) if it does, prevents them from using Quickening or their force weapon. Which effectively makes them an IC with a weapon that ignores armour saves, and it's like well why did you buy the expensive Librarian in the first place, and not the reliably-moving Company Captain who can take lightning claws and still have three different ranged attacks?

This is worrying. Someone comfort me.

The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Eldar Autarchs can have a pistol, power weapon, and reaper launcher...

I think it's just 4th Edition rearing its head. i.e., doing away with the silly "two weapons max" rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

That doesn't comfort me.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you should represent it so that each weapon is on a lightning claw, a la marneus calgar.

Also, couldn't he hold the weapons in his hand because some(that I've seen, I think) lightning claws are more like brass knuckles, the fingers can still grasp.

Anyway, I think it is a good thing, because in the worst case scenario they have holsters or straps on their weapons.

But I hear you on that librarian thing. But Mephiston should make up for it.

I can see, however, some problems arising from trying to quick draw a combi-melta from a holster cowboy style while wearing foot and a half long lightning claws.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't a bug, it is the mentality of the players.

The list of options for the Captain is - suprisingly enough - nearly identical to the options available in the kit (except for the second lightinig claw IIRC).

The intent is obviously for players to make a few of these selections - not all of them. Unfortunately, people are not interested in the intent of the game anymore. Just looking for loopholes.

It is because of this mentality that the Wargear Charts have been eliminated. And if this mentality continues, then no options will be given at all.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

It's a problem with both parties (the rulesmakers and the players)
    I say you can really only have 1 of the above. A combimelta is a two-handed weapon (like a bolter) LC also take up 2 hands. The rule makers should take a basic technical writing class or just hire an editor who has actually played the game. That way their rules would actually be written to cover things like this. It just would take an editor or someone else to look at the manuscript prior to it's printing and ask "what about this? Or this isn't clear in this situation, so let's word it like this."
    then there wouldn't be ambiguity.

I really wonder what the GW people do all day. They don't play any of their games well, and they don't know how to write, or make up inclusive rules for their games. Not all of them paint, so what do they do? I could have come up with the updated rules for Blood Angels after a couple of hours of research and a couple of hours of writing. That's maybe 1 day of work. It took them several months. The same could be said of all the outdated and confusing stuff on the Fantasy side that no one has bothered to address. It would take someone with a little know how or writing skills to sit down and fix some stuff to make it more playable and enjoyable. Just a little updating. Print it WhiteDwarf or on the website and it becomes official. It would solve tons of confusion and problems. I really don't know what they do there. Maybe they're answering phone calls and running all the marketing themselves and that's why they can't get anything done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

You could say that the weapon is hand or shoulder mounted thereby freeing up his hands to use the lightning claws. I like the fact that marines and other races can carry into battle more then what they can fit in there own two hands. I mean a guard officer would have a side arm as well as his lasgun or whatever and with the strength of a space marine he could have a whole host of extra weaponry about his person. I like the idea of a marine casing aside his bolter and charging head first into the enemy with his sword gripped in two hands! Maybe give him some extra strength if he has to strike last or something.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

The thing is, there is NO rule stating that you can only have two weapons. This has been an inferred rule on the players' behalf because of the rules found in most armies' Armouries/Wargear sections. The Autarch broke this trend, I think GW should just get rid of it altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

What, you don't think it's logical people should have a limit to what they can carry? This isn't a FPS. You can't carry an entire military arsenal plus grenades in a backpack, especially when Marines lack obvious carrying apparatus of any kind besides a holster that isn't actually big enough to fit a bolt pistol.

The point is that he gets a bolter, a plasma pistol and a one-shot meltagun and still gets the bonus for an extra attack from the claws. The only downside to the claws is that you can't get the normal attack bonus with, say, a pistol, because they were designed to be used in pairs. Now you can use them in pairs, and you can also shoot the plasma gun with your teeth, so there's no downside to taking lightning claws.

It's not that there's significant gain to carrying a gun as well as your claws, it's just nonsensical. It's silly, and not the Squat-riding-a-bike kind of silly. That's good silly. This is just damn silly.

The Autarch broke that trend, and now he can technically fire a multi-shot missile launcher with one hand and hold a two-metre lance in the other whilst skilfully piloting a jetbike with his knees. Where do the S3 Autarchs get off firing missile launchers with one hand when the Dark Reapers need to brace it with their special bracing boots?

Are you getting what I'm saying here? This is dumb.

/rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignoring the obvious broken-ness (debate not withstanding) in the rules, model-wise, you could give your Captain a Techmarine's harness. Removes the need for extra hands, fluff purists have it written for them, and frees up his real hands for a dynamic pose (if you mount the LC's on a servo-arm each). And seeing a LC equipped Captain with even 2 servo-arms would be rather intimidating IMHO.

<That didn't really help did it?>
    What is the most humane way to kill a lobster, in the fridge or with Michael Bolton music?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast