Armoured Company Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Armoured Company Questions

I thinking of strating a AC next to my regular IG force. I have a few questions though:

1. Does the AC have the two compulsary troops choices (I would like to fit in a Demolisher within 1000 points)
    2. Which doctrine is good, if any? (I tend to go for Ace Gunners)

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

1. AFAIK they still follow the standard FOC, so 1 HQ and 2 Troops minimum.

2. I've heard that doctrines really arent worth it. AC is about number of tanks, not quality of tanks. Tanks are already high quality, doctrines just make you have less tanks and if one tank dies you've lost a lot of firepower and points.
    That said, I like AT rounds on Leman Russes. Gets rid of the need of Vanquishers etc, and is cheaper. Only problem then is you have to give the same amount of points on doctrines (or more) to any Commanders or Aces.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the regular force organization chart applies to the armoured company. However I am looking at pg 192 of the rulebook right now and see some alternative FOGs that any IG player would like. For example regular maxes with 1 HQ 1 TROOP and 1 HEAVY minimum. Smaller guard armies could just pump up one infantry platoon, and every gurad army needs a heavy anyways.

But back to the AC. The restricted troop doctrines are cool, I am a fan of the exterminator and vanquisher. They complement eachother quite nicely. Exterminators are cheep enough that it is possible to have a 500 point armoured company. Ace gunners is awesome, especially on a tank ace exterminator. BS4 re-roll 1s and get up to 14 shots. Re-rolling scatter dice for the ordinance is nothing to sneeze at either.

Any other doctrines are really just cool fluff and not all that practical. Many of them would be something you would only put on the tailor your force to face another army, but that is not fair to do IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

1. Yeah, they still use a standard FOC.

2. As for Doctrines;
    I wouldn't go for Ace gunners. The chance that you roll a 1 isn't that big I guess. The scatter thing is nice. But do keep in mind that your ace & command need to spend at least the same amount of points on skills/doctrines as the normal tanks. And I think it's quite expensive to have ace gunners.

I do think Ace Sponson gunners has some nice potential. But that´s an entirely different thing. Shooting an opponent when charged a I10 with the sponsons sounds good in my book.

AT rounds... it might do the trick on the normal Leman Russ tank. S8 ordnace or a meltalike effect to kill of enemy armor. Depends on what you´re facing.

I´m currently planning on doing my own AC. Busy with Lost and the damned and tend to go to an AC with a chaosy look from there on out.

I think troops should be exterminators and aces should be normal russes due to the improved BS. Re-rolling for low BS makes up a bit in case of Exterminators for troops I think.

Oh, and Anti-mag... that's a thing I guess would have saved my life if I had it on all my other armies tanks. Damn grenades... so a saving throw on 'nades is good I guess.

Be aware that it can go really expensive if you tend to load up loads of doctrines in your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think troops should be exterminators and aces should be normal russes due to the improved BS. Re-rolling for low BS makes up a bit in case of Exterminators for troops I think.
    WTF? other way around man. Make the troops the battle tanks because scatter doesnt use BS and make the exterminators the aces because all their weapons use BS.

Don't use AT rounds, use vanquishers. They only cost 15 points more than a battle tank with AT rounds, but for those 15 points you get 96" of range instead of 72", and the AT rounds have a rule that you cannot fire them if the tank moved, the vanquisher has no such rule on it. If you can't move, than to hit your enemy, they can't be moving either. Do you really think a tank is going to hold still when a tank with AT rounds has LOS to it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

I'm a fan of Side Skirts, because no one likes getting smacked in the side. I use them on the tanks that I advance with, namely conquerors and exterminators in case the enemy gets a side shot with plasma and such.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

In an armoured company, I would say HQ's and elites in Vanquishers with ace gunners, a BS4 anti tank shell with less chance of missing due to AGunners is a blessing, Exterminators on your Elites I think is also a good choice, due to higher BS and re-rolls, mixed again with AGunners, and its rare your shooting will be bad, also give them all Hull and sponsons HB's and extra armour.

For troops, nothing more than the Humble bog standard Leman russ, no doctrines nothing, but sponson and hull HB's and maybe extra armour.

I would also maybe suggest Sentinels in Fast attack, they always have a use, a multi laser is great as it should not be underestimated, hunter killers ain't bad either, as the enemy fire is gonna be off them in preference to kill tanks, and you can pull out a little surprise and blast a tank in the side.

for Heavies Demolisher's obviously, with again sponson and Hull HB's and maybe even again AGunners to avoid missing with its powerful gun, the HB's suppress infantry until its in range, and extra armour is a must for this.

some like infantry and techpriests, Infantry ain't bad, but I prefer tanks, and a techpriest is a waste of points, if you stand still with an armoured company for too long, you die, you need to be aggressive, and techpriests only help if everythings standing still, your enemy will not settle for an immobilized tank, he will destroy it.

+ Reply to Thread