New to IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to IG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to IG

Hi everyone, i have just started collecting a vostroyan army. i can only spend $50-75 a month because i only work around 4-6 hours a week(. i have brought a box of vostroyan firstborne and assembled these and a leman russ tank for the second month. can somebody experienced with imperial guard maybe plot a course for me so i know what to buy{confused}.Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Hi mate! Welcome to the IG.

i can only spend $50-75 a month because i only work around 4-6 hours a week(.
    Australian, Canadian, USA, NZ? I'm guessing USA as you didn't specify.

Either way, thats more than enough to slowly build a decent army - at least you will have the time to paint each unit up before you get the next one!

And its more than I can afford anyway, what with rent/food/utilities etc...so I wouldn't worry too much.

As for plotting a course, it depends on what you want to do with your army? Try building a 750 point army list and go from there, perhaps even posting it up on this forum.

As a bare minimum, however, you will need two troops choices and a HQ - I'm assuming your first purchase was an infantry squad - I would suggest two more, two officers plus retinue, and a chimera. This way you have an armoured fist, a command HQ, an infantry platoon, and a leman russ - a decent start to an IG army.

Or you could get some storm troopers instead of one infantry squad, and run them as grenadiers.

Yeah - post up a 750 point army list!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you don't have one yet, a Codex is obviously a must have, I wouldn't recommend buying any other models until you have it so you can plan exactly what you need so you can make sure you never make an unneeded purchase.

The Leman Russ is a very formidable all rounder tank, so good choice there and you can never go wrong with lots of infantry either.

To make a small infantry platoon you need two squads of ten guardsmen and a five man command section which includes a junior officer. Then for a second troops choice, you can either do a second infantry platoon or have another 10 man squad in a chimera transport as an Armoured fist squad if you want more mobile firepower and a ground taking unit.

There are many different flavors of Imperial Guard armies you can make with the doctrines system, ranging from the WWI style of throwing as many men as possible at the enemy from more elite grenadier armies with alot more skill but fewer numbers or a mechanized army entirely in Chimeras and tanks or a sneaky light infantry force or a bit of everything. Read up the doctrines and pick the ones that suit your style of play and your armies back story.
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well waht you bought was a squad so I suggest you buy another box and get an few vostryan officer blisters to you can have a simple platoon.

Then I would buy a chimera as well, and another box of firstborn. Work on getting the vostyan command squad too I guess and get the assault blisters for more special weapons and maybe a lascannon or two. maybe another leman russ.

Only thing I Don't like with these guys is that its limited to what you can get, no missile launchers or autocannons, no meltas. And they give you totaly crap weapon things in boxs(Example would be the first born box, a heavy bolter and a FLAMER, thats useless imo) not to mention these are metal so good luck converting. But make do with what you got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

If you dont like the vostrians later, or simply want to change, you can still get another box of different guardsmen and use the vostrians as reinforcements.

As others have said, you need at least 2 command squads, another box of 10 men, and 10 and a chimera. That adds up to roughly 2-4 months of purchases (pending on what you are able to spend and how much the items cost). Vostrians are an expensive army, and if you dont, or cant, want to keep up with the cost, i reccomend you switch to a cheaper one (cadians or catchans are cheapest) and remember, army boxes are good deals :yes: (though im not to sure about the vostrian one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My plan (its probebly bad)

Thanks for the help from all you guys. i still want to stay with vostroyans mainly because they aint poular anymore so there is little or no chance of playing others with the same army:yes:. this is my plan:
    3rd month, another box of first borne and codex $88(ill have to beg/steal:ninja: some money from my brother.
    4th month, command squad and blister of junior offices$70
    5th month, another box of firstborne$50
    6th month, chimera and special weapons blister$68

this is the plan. does anyone want to tinker with this (please feel free to).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I think its decent plan, but try to get a box of firstborn in at least every other month, preferably twice every 3 months

+ Reply to Thread