Attack bike Vs. Landspeeder - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attack bike Vs. Landspeeder

Hi,

From a Dark angels point of view,(not that it mkes a whole lot of difference) which is better an attack bike or a landspeeder, both with a multi-melta?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

landspeeder with assault cannon and heavy bolter beats both of those...:yes:
    especialy when dark angels are now short on Assault cannons (terminators get only one:w00t

but if you still want that multi-melta thing, try landspeeder... with heavy flamer is versatile and can flame few 4+ carapace armoured things or even space marine will have his dice-day and throw few 1-2:yes:

landspeeder is fast, skimmer and can deepstrike. can outlive (if lucky) that bike
    Last edited by ZRudi; July 19th, 2007 at 12:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

It's also AV10, and the attack bike has two wounds at T5 with a potentially invulnerable 3+ save. For the purposes of tank hunting, the attack bike is superior, not only because it's tougher but because it's half the price of a Tornado and just as fast.

Anti-infantry is a different matter, where the Tornado's assault cannon clearly puts it ahead.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way i see it, the attack bikes and the land speeders fill two different roles.

Land Speeder: the Land Speeder Tornado is hands down the king at killing killing infantry. At ranges, it can wreak havok, especially since if you move 6", it cannot be penetrated. However, the Land Speeder cannot enter close combat and tie up enemy infantry. Lasguns cannot hurt speeders. Melta guns less likely to hurt (it can only glance if the speeder moves 6").

Attack Bike: When it comes to fire support, you're better off going with a Land Speeder. However, bikes are useful as you can charge enemies and tie them up, especially if they threaten a marker or a table quarter. Lasguns can hurt bikes. Melta guns more likely to hurt (Higher strenght than marine toughness, ignores all armor saves).

I would say ultimately, it's up to you as both the land speeder and the attack bike server similar purpose. However, the ability to "tie-up" enemy infantry is invaluable. But, the land speeder puts out more shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Let's throw in two other concerns to be had.

Terrain
    As skimmers 'speeders don't need to worry about terrain restricting their movement. In terrain heavy games, like Cities of Death, that can be very valuable.

The rest of your army
    As one is a vehicle and the other not different weapons will be a danger to them. In a vehicle heavy army a 'Speeder might be preferable because your opponent needs that anti-armour weaponry against the transports and tanks as well: target saturation. The same with a troop heavy army and Attack Bikes. Granted, with the toughness and save of the attack bike it'll still be the heavier weaponry that'll pose the greater danger, and with AV10 weapons like heavy bolters pose a risk to 'speeders - but while this concern certainly isn't a major one, it is something to keep in mind.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

if you look at the original question, I think he's going for tankbusting. I would go with the bike for that purpose. They are cheaper and imo can stand up a little bit longer. AP10 goes down to bolters and firewarrior fire real easy. You're always going to glance but a 1/3 of the time you're destroyed or immobilised, making the bike with 2 wounds and a possible 3+invulnerable better in my opinion. I'd also say, it depends a bit on your list. You may already have a bunch of tank killing options or not. It just depends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    if you look at the original question, I think he's going for tankbusting. I would go with the bike for that purpose. They are cheaper and imo can stand up a little bit longer.
    he should use a lot more units for tankbusting.. personally I don´t think attack bike can take much shooting (he will probably get some, when he´ll be charging with it) and small SM squad with lascannon (new codex has that opinion for splitting tactical squads) can get tank out of table...

imagine all that fun when attack bike will be rushing forvard to shot at tank and he roll 1 or 2 :shifty:

so... I´m not using as tankhunters those attack bikes (ehm, I don´t use them anyway, never bought back their points...) but small lasplas squads...

but if you feel it´s nice and pretty and fluffy, use attack bikes and switch that multi-melta land speeder for assault cannon instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think either way you are going to loose the fight when you zip across the board and blast a tank. I perfer the speeder since there is no way you loose the model. When it gets blown up you have a nice piece of terrain to hide behind. Unless you are a really shoot army in which case your opponent can hide behind it. If you shoot a lot I am sure you have enough lasscannons though to deal with tanks.
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Land Speeders also have the ability to get at the weaker side and rear armor though you typically end up pretty close to a lot of infantry plinking away at you.

I see a lot of good points here, but it looks like the Land Speeder is ahead by a large margin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Except the Tornado costs a hundred points and the attack bike half that. Why is no-one taking that into consideration?
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast