Navigation update - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

Navigation update

I have made an update to the navigation bar here at LO so it will be easier to navigate and have everything on the same place wherever you are. Please report any bugs back in this thread.

Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Getting to the sections under "About" can be quite challenging - They can disappear before you get to them. And when I did get across to them, they kept on flashing on and off.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

you need to keep the mouse on the black area and the flashing happens when its not fully loaded. I will try do something today with the server and site to speed it up
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I like it. Rork's right about the 'About'-button, it is quite hard to use because of the need to keep the cursor on the black bar. But apart from that, top notch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

To be honest, I'm not a fan. The drop-down links were fine IMO. Now it's a challenge to work my way to subscribed threads and such, especially when I don't have my mouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Can I also add that I find the new drop down bars extremely hard to navigate compared to the static ones. Especially to go "Quick Links", "Subscribed Threads".

cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

414 (x8)

Its unfortunately the best way I found for global navigation until now.
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

414 (x8)

I'm working on a much better menu now. I will make it finish tonight or tomorrow.
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Hey,

I'd recommend simplifying the top navigation considerably and re-thinking the sections. Some comments
    - Web usability studies show that drop-down menus should be avoided because they are cumbersome to use (require lots of eye-hand coordination, they are hidden until accessed etc.)
    - Be consistent, top-level navigation should stay the same in each section, e.g. now there's a extra content tab on the Forums page
    - Some of the current menu names are quite ambiguous, e.g. reviews (meaning store reviews), content (what content?)
    - Most of the menu items take you to a section page, but not all, e.g. content isn't a page at all
    - Some of the stuff that's now there in the menu isn't really needed on the top navigation (e.g. submit news; it's also an action, not a typical menu item), some things would fall nicely in other areas/sub-pages, e.g. privacy policies are typically in the page's footer

And very important - site navigation should be very static. Once users learn to use it, they don't even read the items, they just browse and follow the paths that they've learned earlier.

By googling web usability or information architecture you can find a lot of material on how to build site navigation.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

414 (x8)

With a big and complex site like LO with all its pages, categories and links from the forum, blogs, user blogs, showcase and more a simple menu would be impossible to make.

To expose these areas a bigger menu is needed. These so called mega-menus are becoming more and more used and is very popular and can take you anywhere on the site with just a few mouse clicks.

I might re-organize the contents in each tab, but I didn't want any sub menu on the home link that's why I made the content. I could call it tutorials cause that's what it is.

Edit:

I have made the menu smaller now which might work better. Now there are one tab for each site area.
    Last edited by Blackhat; April 3rd, 2010 at 00:37.
    www.terraincrafters.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast