How much will it cost me to get back into WH40k? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much will it cost me to get back into WH40k?

I'm considering coming back into Warhammer40k but this time starting from scratch. Since I don't live with my parents I now have to be more responsible with my money. I want to know how much it will cost to get back in with a paint set, custom brushes, and some specific paints.

My favorite part of WH40k was the painting, I was never really good at it but I liked doing it, more so then playing WH40k. I used to buy models from games I never even heard of just to paint them. I remember my favorite model I ever painted was this giant about 3 inches tall that wasn't from WHF, but I loved painting it and detailing it.

What I plan to do is buy a one unit of my army at a time and taking my time painting it. Maybe doing one or two units a month at most.

But to get back into it... well I guess I could compare it to video games. I want to get back into video games but the only reason I don't have an XBOX360, PS3, or Wii, is because I'm not sure if I'm willing to make that type of monetary commitment. Then you figure the games you buy over and over again are sort of like constantly buying units. The only difference here is I know I will enjoy painting units, forever, even if they turn out looking like crap(like they usually do). With Video Games I'm never sure. Sure a game might get great reviews, but it doesn't mean I'll always like it or that I'll play it over and over again. With Warhammer I know what I'm paying for and I know what I'm getting out of it.

The only reason I haven't continued my hobby is because I left my parents house in 2005 and its been a rough go for me since then. I saved some money, got into college, and then to my HUGE surprise, my grandmother had set up a trust fund for me that I was to receive upon getting into university... it's not alot. I have enough for this computer, a place to stay, and enough left for leisure. The only thing I'm hung up on was an XBOX360 or Warhammer 40k.

I know how much XBOX360 is going to cost me.

It will cost me 400 bucks plus 15% tax and 33 dollars shipping.

I calculated the cost of the army I'm making at 423$ total, but that's not including the things I need to start up.

So how much will it cost me? Do you recommend any paints over the CITADEL paints pushed by GW? How bout brushes, does any company make it better then GW and/or cheaper? Also, rulebooks? 70$ CAD for a rulebook and 35 for a codex seems steep, I saw the rulebook on eBay for 20 and the codex for a buy it now price of 9.00... should I get a new one or get one of these used codexes? It's the same information, right? And eBay in general, do you use it to make any of your purchases? Some of the prices are simply amazing compared to Games workshop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
    So how much will it cost me?
    It's certainly not cheap. However, the price for an army varies depending on what army you are playing. However, You seem to have made up your mind on your army, so I assume you mean accessories and such? Let's see...Glue (super+plastic), Modeling knife, Green stuff are the necessary parts to assembling, while paints will vary depending on the number you buy. I'd recommend Primer too, as it is much more time-friendly than hand-base coating. As for the above items, I'd recommend only buying the Green stuff from GW, as their glue and knife is not the best around (Over priced, mostly). Testors plastic modeling glue is the stuff I use it works great and holds well. Super glues are generally things not to be picky about, as they are all the same (From personal experience).
    Do you recommend any paints over the CITADEL paints pushed by GW?
    I've only used Citadel, so I cannot really help you here. Vallejo paints are like GWs, and they have a more convenient bottle (dropper). I believe they're thinner too.
    How bout brushes, does any company make it better then GW and/or cheaper?
    I hear Winsor & Newton brushes are some of the best out there, however, they are also some of the most expensive. I have never used anything other than GW's, and I can tell you from personal experience that they decay obnoxiously quick. This may be my lack of experience with brush care. ^_^
    Also, rulebooks? 70$ CAD for a rulebook and 35 for a codex seems steep, I saw the rulebook on eBay for 20 and the codex for a buy it now price of 9.00... should I get a new one or get one of these used codexes? It's the same information, right?
    Yes it is the same information . There is really no reason to get new over old if you don't care too much about possible condition. The risks of a bad codex over ebay is the same risk of a bad anything over ebay.
    And eBay in general, do you use it to make any of your purchases? Some of the prices are simply amazing compared to Games workshop.
    I've bought a few things, and for that very reason. I find it best to do a mix of GW and ebay. But than again, I don't have to pay rent.

Edit: Welcome Back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a modeling knife actually, though I never really used greenstuff... okay, I never used greenstuff. What is it for?

Also, about the glue. How does it work for metal on plastic or metal on metal? I remember the first time I tried to glue some metal pieces together... it was a Space Marine with a Lascannon and I could not get that ****er to stay up and dry. I can't remember if it was metal on metal or metal on plastic... I had the same problem with these Ork Nobz my brother bought me as a gift.

I had tyranids, orks, ultramarines, and eldar in the past though the only army I actually played with was my ultramarine army... it was actually the only army I ever brought into a game

My new army is going to consist mostly of metal units... I'm going to be buying mostly metal units.

WOW, I can't believe the price difference of GW to eBay

I just found 10 Wraithguard for 30 dollars total.... on the GW Canada website they go for 18 dollars each... that's 180 dollars, not including the 15% tax, and shipping... that is amazing. Sorry for going off track their, I'm not going to buy anything until I get the painting part of the operation set up.
    "Life's a crap shoot, and I'm your loaded die"

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

GW paints are definitely expensive, but I don't know if they're better or worse than other options. I've heard some people say Vallejo paints are superior, but I've never personally had any experience.

In terms of brushes, you can get some pretty good ones for much much cheaper than the GW ones, so look around local hobby and arts and crafts stores and see what you find for what prices.

You'll want some greenstuff, I never used to use it, and now I'm not really sure how I made due before. You can use it to fill gaps on metal models and to make little additions or repairs or changes to models as well. It's great stuff, but you shouldn't need more than one pack from GW for most if not all of your army unless you're doing some hefty converting (which it sounds like you aren't doing).

In terms of glue, once again, buy from someone else. I personally use Crazy glue for my super glue (I still have some GW plastic glue, but I'm moving on to something else once that's done) but I'm not sure what brands are available to you locally. In my experience though they're all better and cheaper than GW's.

In the end, the question will come down to what quality do you need and how much are you willing to pay for it. As in all things you can buy really fancy stuff, but it tends to cost a good deal more, but if you just want paint there's always Crayola, or other kiddie paints that will get the job done for very cheap, won't do as good a job, but it'll do it. Just depends where you personally want to be along that continuum.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Hmm... Well, GW, Vallejo, whatever, miniature paints are all more or less the same. They have their good paints and their bad paints (pretty much all black paints are good, most pure whites suck, but Vallejo has a very slightly blueish white that absolutely ROCKS), but if you know what you're doing they all tend to work out about the same. I've also seen both incredibly good and incredibly bad results from cheap craft paints. Go with whatever works for you.

Brushes? Taking care of them is the #1 priority - I've got a few brushes that are over a decade old and still in usable shape. GW has decent brushes, but I do find that other brushes are generally nicer. Try your local art supply shops, and Michael's if you've got one - they carry some good stuff.

Glue and tools are definitely one item you should NEVER buy from GW. Other places sell much better stuff for less. A good local hobby shop serves mainly armor, airplane and car modellers and as such will usually carry a selection of product from the big, well established global modelling companies (Tamiya, Zap, Microscale, Squadron, Milliput, etc...), and those are almost always quite a bit better than GW fare. If you can find it, Ambroid Pro-Weld is my own plastic cement of choice. Fast, strong joints in 15 - 20 seconds, this is hands down the best plastic cement I've ever used. Zap brand superglues and accessories are known for their quality, and Zip Kicker (in the accessory list on that page, scroll down) takes superglues from quick to instant - useful stuff.

Tools are pretty simple to find compared to good glues - often your local hardware store can supply most of your needs. You've already got the modelling knife, but a small pair of needle nose pliers can be extremely handy and a decent set of snips is very useful for cutting parts from the sprues or cutting bits away if you're doing any minor converting on a figure. Also, since you're going to be using mainly metal units (Daemonhunters or Witchhunters, I assume?) a Pinvise with some appropriately sized bits is very definitely recommended for pinning joints - Superglue alone isn't usually strong enough to survive much handling.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just restarted also after an 8 year hiatus. I have probably spent about 600$ so far and gotten a 1500 pt army as i want it plus a bunch of extra troops from things i didnt think about enough before I bought them. I also bought 3 codexes because I like reading them, so if you plan it out then under 500$ should be easy.

Personally I think its money more well spent then on video games (as much as i am a fan of vids too). Building and painting an army is awesome, and you get to go out and meet people and do things not in your house like the vids will get you doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could go for one of the larger boxes about to be released, it's a big lump in one go but cheaper than buying the stuff seperate.
    ooo ya.... Riff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hi all.
    If you are wanting to get back into gameing,does it have to be 40k?

Have you looked at AT43?
    All models come prepainted to a very good standard.£150 will get you 2 1500pt armies terrain, and rule books tape rule etc ,everything you need to play!

Or you can spend about £60 on hobby supplies and paints and brushes.
    About £200 on the minis models for the army you want.
    £40 for rule book.
    £12 for codex.
    And of courese quit a bit of cash on terrain ,£20 to 80?
    And the 'new' codex in a few months...

And GW wonder why they are lossing customers?

TTFN
    Lanrak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galtharion View Post
    You could go for one of the larger boxes about to be released, it's a big lump in one go but cheaper than buying the stuff seperate.
    When is it going to be release and how can I find out about the contents of the IG box?
    "Life's a crap shoot, and I'm your loaded die"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they're going to start being released around October 8th(?), this year. I've seen a preview of the space marine and tau mega box set, and there's probably something floating around google that could give you more info about the IG box.
    Your mother has a signature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast