Looking for a change from 40K - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a change from 40K

Hi all. As the title states I have recently gotten a little bored with 40k. I play Tyranids and have found that I mostly charge across the field then roll 32 dice and pick out 5s and 6s. I understand thats the nature of Tyranids and I love the models. Knowing that that there are other 40k armies that play differently hasn't kept me from wondering about other gaming systems and what they might have to offer though. I got into Hordes which I really enjoy and plan to keep playing, especially when I am short on time. I looked into Rackham (which have awesome models, but seem to dwindling as a company) LOTR (pretty fun) and even Infinity (which I understand to have great rules) but wonder if I'll be able to find anyone to play with. So now I find myself sorta drifting back to GW again.

As you can see I am not a die-hard, "I only play ....." sort of person. I play whats entertaining and most recently what I have time for. So, to my questions.

How does FB differentiate itself from 40k, both in terms of rules and tactics? Does FB prove more tactically fulfilling to most?

It seems 2000 pts is the standard FB army size. I am considering Wood Elves. Will that be a similar sort of model count equivalent to 1500 pts of 40K? I know thats a funny comparison, 2000 to 1500 pts, but I guess I want to compare (seemingly) standard game size to standard games size. How about the time it takes to play a game? I get the feeling turn sequence is the same: I go- you wait, you go- I wait. I really feel for my opponents when I have to move 50 gaunts individually a turn, then fleet them, then charge. Not to mention the long time it takes for me to deploy. Often times they go buy a soda, use the bathroom and I'm still not done.

What's the combat patrol version of FB. Does anyone ever play it really?

Lastly, I don't mean to incite anyone. I don't have a grudge against GW, hate 40k, love PP, was scorned in a tournament.... I don't know one edition of 40k from the next. Wargaming is just a hobby for me that I enjoy. Feel free to comment on Rackham and Infinity if you care to. Thx all!!! 8Y

"... and he carried a monstrous chain-glaive, it's terrifying size beyond anything Loken could believe" of Angron

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I'm sure you could arrange a game with one of the lorenz regulars (see my sig for details) and we'd be happy to walk you through a game of FB with you. We have people from all over the world playing from this site so I'm sure there would be at least one person able to put aside an hour or so to walk you through a small game.

Alternatively you could head down to your local GW and ask them to go through a small game with you

I think that really is the only way to get a good feel of the game

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

I looked into Rackham (which have awesome models, but seem to dwindling as a company) LOTR (pretty fun) and even Infinity (which I understand to have great rules) but wonder if I'll be able to find anyone to play with. So now I find myself sorta drifting back to GW again.
    Hmmm. Rackham has some undeniably cool fiures, but I have never been impressed with their games. If you haven't worked your way to it yet, do not neglect the Privateer games (Warmachine, Hordes) - these games seem to be oodles of fun. I'm very impressed with what I have seen of them.

How does FB differentiate itself from 40k, both in terms of rules and tactics? Does FB prove more tactically fulfilling to most?
    Warhammer Fantasy plays a bit differently from 40k. The rules are basically the same - simpler than 40k in some ways, and more complicated in others. Movement is quite a bit different and, IMO, is the cornerstone of the game. More WFB games are won in the movement phase than in any of the other phases. You can have elite troops, big guns, and powerful wizards as much as you want - if your opponent is better at moving his army, he will have the advantage.

It's easy to get stuck in a groove with your army in Fantasy, but each list offers a lot of flexibility as to what can be built while maintaining a competitive army - this is because FB is less about what you take and more about how you use it. There are common and (dare I say it) "cheesy" lists in FB just like in 40k, but (from my experience), they're easier to deal with in FB.

It seems 2000 pts is the standard FB army size.
    2,000pts seems to be the favored size, but games at 1,000 - 2,000pts are not uncommon. There are some armies who need more characters than others, and therefore have less points to spend on troops, so 2k is generally accepted as the points cost where all armies are of equal competitiveness.

I am considering Wood Elves.
    Excellent choice ;Y. With its high number of skirmishing units, WE can ease the transition from 40k to FB a bit, though they take some practice to use well.

Will that be a similar sort of model count equivalent to 1500 pts of 40K?
    My 2,000pt wood elf armies will typically have anywhere from 60 - 90 models. On the other hand, a 2,000pt Skaven army can have 200+ models!

I really feel for my opponents when I have to move 50 gaunts individually a turn, then fleet them, then charge.
    In FB, however, those 50 models could easily be only 2 units, each of which an be moved all at one (if you use movement trays... use movement trays). The exception to this is skirmishers, but they're rarely found in units of more than 10 or so.

What's the combat patrol version of FB. Does anyone ever play it really?
    You can use either the Skirmish rules (here), which work well for 250ish point forces, or the Warbands rules (here) which have 500ish point forces.

GW UK's website also has a combat patrol rule set that you can check out (here). As a matter of fact, we're starting a mini votewar using these combat patrol rules - the votewar alone could give you a good feel for lists and what happens during games (click here (FB Votewar Mini II: Border Patrol Teams)).

Or, as Stoney said, any of our local Lorenz players would be happy to show you around.

+ Reply to Thread