What comes first, the List or the Miniatures? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

What comes first, the List or the Miniatures?

I though of this question a while ago and was curious to see what answers people would have. I was going to make this into a poll, but figured an open ended discussion may prove a bit more interesting. So, the question is;

When collecting an army, what comes first? Do you purchase your miniatures first and then build an army list based on what you have, or is your first port of call the Army Book/Codex, which you use to create a list which then dictates what you buy?

I suppose, to be completely honest, I would have to say I work a little in each direction. However, I generally purchase the Army Book/Codex first, and then decide on a list and collect miniatures based on that list.

Of course, the miniatures range sort of affects my list. The best example I have of this is my Vampire Counts army; for some reason I have an intense dislike of zombies (not very undead of me, I know), so when creating a list for the army I didn’t include any Zombies.

So, how does this process work for you? I await your answers!

Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

List first! List first! Unless you're independently wealthy or a GW shareholder. Get a decent army you can make a legal list out of and play with then buy the cool minis as you have time and income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

List first every time. I'll want to know beforehand exactly where everything will fit in, exactly what I'll need, exactly how much of it to get etc... But I'm also the same as you in the way that the miniatures will definitely affect what I'd want in an army. I'd use the same example as you, when I was looking at VCs, I never had any interest whatsoever in zombies, except for perhaps having extra ones to raise. To make a list first is to be prepared, and it also means you don't have any rubbish excess stuff. If you have the models and you come up short of a points goal, you have to add filler upgrades to pad it up, if you have too much, you'd have to drop a unit, which could seriously affect the balance of the list and so on. My thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

Let it be known that my army lists aren't really army lists, just old shopping lists. Yeah list comes first, though I generally have a good idea what I'll want as the army's core when I begin.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Models, I'd say. It all depends on my style of painting and if my style of painting fits with the sculpting.

I'll go grab some test range models or a kit and try it out and maybe buy a dex and thumb through it, and if I gain interest in all the codex has to offer then I will get my feet wet and buy the basics.

This is a really good strategy if your wanting to start different armies or have a thirst for something new
    as a side project for your side project.

You get my drift... (^.^)

Dj A.k.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Heheh... I learned the hard way. I started ImpGuard, and went "oooh, look at all the shiny stuff!" Didn't buy much in the way of usefulness. Now God only knows how much IG I have back home... now in my dorm I have almost all of my Chaos army assembled... all collected to a 1500 and a 2000 point list. Ahhh... satisfaction.

Now I just have to paint and convert it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

I'd like to clarify. I'd certainly say that buying first and then making a list of it could be more fun, and I'd imagine painting enthusiasts and such would be taking this route. When I first started I just looked at the pretty models and got some of the coolest ones, list making never came into it, but if you care about the effectiveness of the list (as I admittedly do quite a bit, though still make 'just for fun' lists) then the list must really come first. For some people the list making is just as important a part of the hobby as the painting and gaming, It's half the fun for many people and I also find myself sometimes indulging in making lists for armies I know I'll never get to own.

Dark Eldar player.

Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Minis first. I often buy minis just for their looks, then after a while I go...hmm, it would be fun to play this army. So I make a list, then buy some more minis...make a new list to fit the minis I actually bought (due to their looks or an irresistible eBay auction) then minis, list, minis, list minis list minislistminislistminis list...then I make a list of all the things I have and is very grateful Apocalypse arrived

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Yay! I started a fad! Glad to see I'm not the only person who goes rushing into buy a miniature whenever I
    get a spark of creativity. Tee hee.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Yep. The love of the minis obviously comes first, then it turns into a "what to get" list, which is fine tuned into an army list and then finally brought into action. Though I know some people that just write the list straight from the codex so to have the optimal list.

Dark Eldar player.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast