scibor sculpts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scibor sculpts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scibor sculpts

I was looking at the conversion of the day thread and saw some Scibor models. I found his website and he does commision work. Just wondering if anyone has paid for commision work. pros? cons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at first glance, his work looks downright amazing. as i surfed more and more and got deeper into the community, i seemed to start noticing quite a bit of backlash, resentment or disrespect for his work and style. i could not understand why, on the surface at least. i did more research, and i think this derives from the method in which he obtains his results. rather than hand sculpting most of his work, it is often press molds (he has a tutorial on his site about how these results and his look are achieved), allowing him to skip (or at least severely lighten the workload) the pain-staking work that most modellers undergo.

while at a cursory glance, the work appears fantastic and almost extra-ordinary, when the methods come to light, it severely tarnishes the quality of the work in my (and apparently many others) opinion.

just my 2 cents. (hope i am not starting a flame war or denigrating anyone who takes this personally. it is not intended as such)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Yeah I've heard that as well. There's a story going around that a guy bought one of his sculpts on eBay for a load of cash. The model in question was only viewed from one angle and when the buyer received the model it was discovered that several areas not shown in the pictures had received very little, if any, care in sculpting and was at best just blotched on. However, I can neither deny or confirm this story as true.

My suggestion, ask around on a few more forums and do a few comprehensive google searches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can see, on SOME of the models that i have viewed, some VERY questionable actual free-hand model work. grossly-overstated proportions, areas with next to no effort spent on them, areas that would appear to be minor, but when viewed with the intricate detail of the model, jump out sorely. dig around a lot before crowning scibor as a god. his press-molds are VERY cool for bulk areas (like SM lower legs, shields, intricate and/or large shoulders) but i think the ease of that method handicaps growth or expertise in others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

If every artist was judged by his or her methods, there would be no artists.
    Everyone's a critic.
    No one is ever forced to buy anything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittle72 View Post
    If every artist was judged by his or her methods, there would be no artists.
    Everyone's a critic.
    No one is ever forced to buy anything.
    Exactly. I don't really care whether he does press-molding or not. I think they look fantastic, and it's not like using press-molding means he has no talent.

Having said that, I won't pay a ton of money for something like that, simply because if the hobby is worth that kind of investment in a single model or a handful of models to me, I can buy from Forge World and get stuff made out of resin rather than green stuff, which is much more resilient. For green stuff modeling, I'd sooner get out some green stuff and try to make up my own cool sculpts using the guide on his Web site than to pay someone to do it for me.

As to the "they only look good from the front" complaints, I can't say about that, since I've never bought any and have never seen those models from any other angle. My gut instinct is to say that it can't be THAT bad, or he wouldn't have as healthy a business as he appears to have. Still, caveat emptor.

If you're that concerned about quality, check his Web site (I haven't looked at it in that great detail, so I don't know), or e-mail him to ask if there's a return policy or something like that, or you could simply ask to see photos from the other angles. If he refuses, well, I don't need to tell you what to do then, do I?
    Last edited by Canew; March 9th, 2010 at 15:16.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread