Changing your local GW.... *cry* - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Changing your local GW.... *cry*

Ok, so, I've been missing my local GW for the last 4 months. I recently moved to a new town.

Being that I just moved, my money is still tight, and i work lots of overtime to make ends meet.

I know i am only 20 (21 in a month) but i am a veteran player of 6 years now. Ever since GW opened up in my home town, i was addicted.

I have spend the last 6 years making relationships, and gaining friendships from my local GW. And then i moved.

Now, whenever i go into my new GW, i am confronted by people trying to sell stuff to me, because they dont know me. If i say I'm just looking, they continue to talk to me, If i want to look at the bits order book, they hover over my shoulder...

And genuinly (spelling?) when i walk in there now, I just have an aekward feeling creep over me. Like im cheating on a lover or something... I know it is silly, but i figured i would start up this post, and ask if something like this has ever happened to any of you, and how you got over it?

I could easily see myself going into resetion and just stop going to GW all together and just play games against myself Which would turn me more into a cave troll (i live in a basement apartment) instead of a Goblin.

Like, i miss the friends i had at GW, and the new people are just weird to me...

I am of course going to try and give them a chance, but who knows really... It is almost like, when your favorite GW employee goes on to bigger and better things, going in there is just no longer the same, until you make a friendship with another one... Except having that happen to all of them

Am i just sad and pathetic here, or does anyone else understand what I'm feeling here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I live in the Toronto area, and there are about 4 GW stores all near by, and then there is head office which is also close by. When I was younger I would always go to the one downtown since it was the easiest to get to with public transit. When I got a car it changed, because driving downtown is to much of a hassle, and you have to pay for parking all the time, so I found a new GW in Vaughn, which is around a 20 minute drive for me.

It was a bit weird at first since i didn't know any body there, but I got to know them pretty well after a few trips, and I joined one of there summer campaigns, the Lustria one, and got to know a bunch of them very well and now it's the GW i go to if I need anything. Also a few of the costumer who went down town also switched to the store I go to, so it's real cool seeing them when I go in. Also I became really good friends with one of the GW staff members, and we hang out on a regular basis.

So give it a shot, go in to play some games, make a name for yourself, and don't be afraid to talk to a staff member about your armies and future plans in the hobby.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I do kinda get what you mean. Although i dont have a local store while im at Uni, i do miss being able to go in for a game back home with people i know.

Also i did have my favourite GW employee / co worker leave when i was working there, things just werent as fun without him, no more gaming for 6 hours on an 8 hour working day

I did go into a local ish shop here once though, and its true, all i got was sales tech. It was back when the Dark Angel Codex was released, i went in and the guy tried his best to sell them too me. I tried my best to tell him i how much i hate Marines, and how awful the Codex layout was, but all that fell on deaf ears.

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, happens with teachers too now on topic...
    I used to go to the Northland store in Preston and it was a truly awesome GW , most of the staff were legends except for this one guy. The staff were happy to help with anything especially the painting. they also let me play with my black models (not being racist or anything here) cause they knew i just started. I mean if you buy your starter boxes there, they are simply awesome to you. As for my new store, there's a couple of nice guys, not sure bout the rest
    Last edited by DieHardSaintKildaSupporter; November 6th, 2007 at 23:56.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if the people don't know you, they think you're new to the game, and try to sell you everything for your army.

even *shudders* other codices

anyway if you have shirt that clearly says (Insert tourney here) then a year that's gone by a while ago, they know your not new, and generally not ever going to fall for the BUY ME! thing they got.

I was at another GW (in america, hurrah cheaper prices!) and the guy said "you know, chaos got a new dex, you should check it out" even though the first thing I said was "I needs me some ratmen, gunna take some mighty convertin with my project, eh, It's got a swarm feeling to it."

yet he still tried to sell off a terminus, apoc book, chaos and whatnot to me. clearly he's never met a Canadian gamer, or a gamer who knows the stupid dice rolling they do just to prove their point doesn't work, but no.... Mathhammer is a term employees don't ever think about.

if you bring in a 1750-2000+ army, then the BUY ME CAUSE I'M COOL! thing, clearly isn't going to work on you. or tell them you're not buying, it seems easier and they can't make you buy anything, now can they?
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

I recently moved off to college and i miss my local GW. sometimes i fantasize about droping out so i could just go back and play warhammer for the rest of my days. but then again i like doing art, its just the absense of warhammer is really killing me. its like trying to go cold turky on heroine, the withdrawls a B****!

well at least none of my dead beat friends went to college so they will be waiting for me to play some apocalypse games when i come back for my month long x-mas break! now i just have to figure out a way to transport my 20000pts, 400 odd infantry, 45 tanks, 5 super heavies and 10 monstrous creatures army without having to have like 50 bags with me from the trip to my house to the local gw.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

+ Reply to Thread