Whats your terrain? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats your terrain?

I seem to have lots of trouble classing terrain with my opponents in a tournament setting. I'll always try and get terrain sizes and cover saves out of the way before a match gets underway but disturbingly often my opponents forget and change their mind mid game about whats what. Its really frustrating to set up with a plan only to have to roll on the size of terrain you already classes in the beginning (and lose, size 3 be damned!). For anyone who plays in a tournament setting; especially on the top tables since I expect you to have the most experience with this; what do you usually do for terrain?

I get a lot of opponents who say "What you see is what you get" and play it by eye, and others who claim all area terrain blocks line of sight reguardless of height. (The judge agreed with this once!)

A lot of Tau players really like the Piranha in this setting as well. It almost never survives in my case, and I'm wondering if its because I generally like to class terrain around size 2.

On an unrelated note, its seems like the Judges at these things don't actually know the rules in many cases and I have to show them the rule in print to change minds. Most of the time tho I just roll over on the rules to preserve a high sportsmanship score. (42/50 last time)

KROOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few things you can do to stop this happening (sometimes)...

Firstly, get a judge at the START of the game to go over the table if they look like there going to be one of those players. Terrain heights for a tourney should be pre set before hand not during the game.

Another is if your deciding make a little mock up of the table on a bit of paper and put a giant number on each terrain piece. Show them it and have them agree that way you both have a copy of the height and save everything gives.

If your playing at the same place alot and this happens then sujest to the organisers that they have something set up like a mock up of the tables with the numbers to ensure all games are played on the same field.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I went to a Games Day last year and I didnt have this problem because the organiser printed a color sheet classifying every piece of terrain you could have and handed them out with our scenario packets.

Your the only one to respond sliver, I guess no one else has had problems with this.
    KROOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Las Vegas GT there was a packet which classified all of the terrain beforehand. I would say just agree with your opponent before hand what each terrain piece counts as and perhaps a rereading of the rules are in order.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

I get a lot of opponents who say "What you see is what you get" and play it by eye, and others who claim all area terrain blocks line of sight reguardless of height. (The judge agreed with this once!)
    IIRC that's exactly what area terrain does.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post
    IIRC that's exactly what area terrain does.
    Yes, but if you or your target is taller you can still see over it, no matter how deep. Pg. 21 in the core rules.

I dunno why people have missed this rule, it seems like such an important distinction: the size of the terrain compared to the target. Its also one of those few rules thats very intuative, e.i. obviously you could see Michal Jordan standing behind a couch.
    KROOT

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSane View Post
    Yes, but if you or your target is taller you can still see over it, no matter how deep. Pg. 21 in the core rules.

I dunno why people have missed this rule, it seems like such an important distinction: the size of the terrain compared to the target. Its also one of those few rules thats very intuative, e.i. obviously you could see Michal Jordan standing behind a couch.
    Ah right, sorry I misread your post. I was under the impression you were talking about physical height, not the sizes models are classed into.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some terrain is even classified as class 4, as I read in a white dwarf once.

+ Reply to Thread