Do you have your codex? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you get the codex and why

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I felt I needed it as a resource to play my army effectively

89 71.77%
  • Yes, I don't feel I need it to play my army but you should have it anyway/need it for tournies

20 16.13%
  • Yes, but I'd take it back if I could get full price

0 0%
  • Yes for some other reason

12 9.68%
  • No, because it isn't needed

1 0.81%
  • No, for some other reason

2 1.61%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Do you have your codex?

It's just that I've heard some chatter about people not having Dex's so maybe I'm not alone.

For me I didn't buy the new Eldar Codex. I gave it a read through, looked at the price. And then realized that, given the plastic I had (no special characters), the actual wargaming content I could use beyond what is on the reference sheet would fit on an index card.

We functionally have no wargear, just farseer/warlock options put in a different section. We have barely a handful of vehicle upgrades and we know them by heart. Really all we need is a small number of special rules and the points costs for some stuff.

And the fluff isn't worth re-reading enough to merit buying it on that count.

Anyway I'm curious how other people feel. And if it would kill GWs business model if they just let us have the army lists ravening hoard style so we could by more minis. I know I would never have gotten into the game if I'd had to just buy an army codex out of the blue before really knowing what I was getting. They may be losing business to people who don't have access to store copies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

No one says it is a bad thing not to own the Codex of the army you play... It is weird but it is not bad...

I have ir as I wanted to see all the possibilities a SM army can give!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

I see where you are coming from and I dislike GW overpricing also, but I usually get my rulebooks 2nd hand, because 1) It's Cheaper and 2) It comes with an 2nd-Hand unpainted army half the time.

I've got one word for you: Ebay - Don't underestimate it's usefulness.

I'd like to play the game with the rules at hand, memorising them will (Believe it or not) make you an unreliable person at playing just by remembering the rules. Having the book on hand can allow you to refer back to them without misprounouncing them from your memory, and quite possibly causing an arguement without proof to backup your memorised rules.

you may have a great memory but, it's best to get the rules just to save you a whole lot of agro.

Sorry if I'd Burst your Bubble or anything:happy:

-Kai-Itza-

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

You should have it, i absalutly HATE players who dont own the damn thing and just "assume" that things chost a certain amount or has a certain stat line, get the damn book!!!
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

I agree with Azriel (although perhaps less vehemently - that's one furious baby!). Maybe some codices or armybooks are simple enough that you can get away without it while collecting the bulk of your army, but when it comes to special rules and specific points costs you need the book to know what you're talking about. Playing without it is like playing without a rulebook.

You should never take what someone says about the rules on faith. I couldn't count the number of times that someone has assumed a particular rule/spell/whatever worked one way, but when you actually check it's different, in Warhammer and many other games (including myself!).
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Itza View Post

I'd like to play the game with the rules at hand, memorising them will (Believe it or not) make you an unreliable person at playing just by remembering the rules. Having the book on hand can allow you to refer back to them without misprounouncing them from your memory, and quite possibly causing an arguement without proof to backup your memorised rules.

you may have a great memory but, it's best to get the rules just to save you a whole lot of agro.

Sorry if I'd Burst your Bubble or anything:happy:

-Kai-Itza-
    To be clear I wouldn't want to try it without the BBB around. That's got a lotta stuff.

But you can just print the online reference sheet. That gives you the statlines/armor values/weapons. For Eldar a lot of units don't really need much else for rules to cover them. For example with my exarcless dire avengers and fire dragons I just need to write down their points value. They have no other options, that's what they are, there it all is on the reference sheet if you want to look. Units with exarcs aren't much more complicated since usually the options aren't so optional and they use USRs.

I imagine it's different for other armies. SM have a rich codex full of wargear and traits and stuff. Lots of things you'd want to peruse at home, because maybe tomorrow you'll field an army with roughly the same models but that plays very differently under different rules. And chaos players blow it all to often even if they do have their codex on hand(at least with the old dexs).

How are the other dexs for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Well if you are not going to take any upgrades then I suppose it is not really nesiscary.
    As soon as you upgrade anything or purchase any wargear you need the book as that is the only source of the price and properly worded rules.

A preacher might know the story but he'll always own a bible.
    Up, up and away!

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

159 (x3)

I pretty much have all the rules and point-costs for the Space Marines memorized. I committed virtually the entire BBB to memory, and I rarely consult either when playing. I do keep both around, though, in case someone disagrees with me. It's important to have the books to resolve the conflicts that do arise, even if you pretty much know everything that's in them.

I've got good portions of a handful of other codices down, too, but I like my opponents to have them, just in case I find myself doubting the rules they're quoting.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Hmmm I'm starting to think that maybe the Eldar codex is unique a bit in that we don't have a wargear section as other armies know it or variable special rules.

Well maybe necrons. Though people often have issues with the details of the WBB rules.

Borderlands addict Phoenix Lazarus's Avatar
    There's no place I can be, since I've found Serenity.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

148 (x3)

The main reson I buy codex's is because of the artwork in them. Ok, so it's all black and white, but I can live with that, lol. Also i find that reading the background can help with conversion inspirations. But mainly it's the artwork...the Uriel Ventris piece in marine codex is awesome!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast