Chap. Approved & Chronicles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chap. Approved & Chronicles

I Was wondering, whats GW's Stance on Chapter Approved, and whats their Stance Warhammer Chronicles?

I realise that when Andy C. Left GW, much of the impetus to keep C. Approved running was lost, and Warhamer was seen by many as just a fantasy counterpart, but nearly all of their stuff was really good. sure the alien creatures were a bit weird for example, but most people would agree that Deathwatch marines are balanced and Tournament fair.

W. Chronicles had even more alternative armylists throughout WD, from variant armies such as the Lizardmen sacred spawning armies (similar to Chaos Cultist army themes for those that don't know) to completely new things such as pirate Undead which I think were all throurougly playteseted and essentially balanced too.

1) Will there be any more Approved / Chronicles?
    2) Is there a way to get old Articles online? the books seem to be out of print...
    3) What is GW's stance for use in stores or at Tournaments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

CA died a death, and took WD with it.
    All of them are out of date and not tournament legal.
    I believe some of them still lurk on the GW site, but can only be used for friendly games.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

The only CA that is probably (probably, mind you) still legal by now is the Deathwatch one that came out a month or two after the current Codex: Space Marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

...how about the monster/creature rules that are on the games-workshop website? I want to field a Megasaur in my SM army and it seems to still be rules friendly. In my opinion, if it's on the website it's legal. Though it's annoying that you have to buy new Codexi/Codexes/Codii all the time due to new revisions, especially at £12 each. It's not like Space Marines change much..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

To be honest i found chapter approved to be a bit stupid, it just seemed like every month they were putting out new a useless rules for armies, and including worthless wargear. The worst part of it all was that you had to carry along about 5-6 white dwarfs around with you if you wanted to use those rules since they only put them all together for you in a nice book once a year. I thought it was getting out of hand though, and was adding to much confusion since no one really new what was tournament legal or not, since some of the chapter approved stuff were trial rules.

As for chronicles it's not to bad, they never went over board with the stuff and added a few cool stuff along with it, like sacred spawnings and stuff like that, which are indeed tournament legal, at least here in Canada they are.

As for monsters and stuff they were just trial rules I think, and were never actually tournament legal, although out of all the stuff they introduced I would say the monster creation thing was the best, since it added a nice change of pace to games, and were a cool addition for kill teams and combat patrol. It was also nice for a map campaign since you could invade territories that weren't controlled buy your opponents and make special scenerios to wipe out a certain creature so you could make that area on the map a viable base of operation or something like that.

+ Reply to Thread