Taking Commissions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Taking Commissions

Hi guys, after someone suggested this again, I thought I'd see if I would get more response now.

I am providing these services:

- Scratch building of any vehicle, tank or anything that I can.
    - Tabletop Quality Painting.
    - Building of any model kit.
    - Paint Stripping of metal and plastic models.

Painted Prices:
    - Ten Models is a small box.
    - Tank is a large box.
    - Large Tank is a large and a small box or 2 blisters .

You supply the models or send me the money to buy the models to be painted and the models for my payment and postage costs.

Stripping Prices:
    - 20 Models for one blister.
    - Tank is a small box
    - Large Tank is a large box.

Anything else we will need to discuss on a service by service basis.

I will show WIP pictures on my log, so you can see what you are getting for your minis and to give me comments on how you want it.

Examples of Tabletop - Still WIP of course but newest stuff

If you want more details, either PM me or email me on Legolasthegreen@gmail.com

Thanks.

Last edited by Pickle; January 16th, 2008 at 06:16. Reason: Updated - 16/01/08
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Updated it, have also decided, I will do 5 Drop Pods for 50 USD plus 15 USD postage, so if anyone is interested in this deal, please PM me.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

didn't you build a titan... how much for you to build me a titan...
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

Mmm, yeah Im making a titan, not sure what to charge yet.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry misread
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Personally I would practice more before taking on commissions.

Here is some advice though that I have found helpful.

1. Good communication. Be specific and detailed up front on what you will do and how much it will cost. Don't leave any room for guess work. Also keep your client informed all through the process and allow their imput. This will lead to a better rapport and a better chance of repeat business.

2. Clearly define and showcase your level of support. What will you do for a basic figure. What will you do for an advanced figure. What does each level of your work look like? Again if your client knows what they are getting for their money they will be more satisfied when they get the figures.

3. Don't promise the world if you can't deliver. This will only get you negative response and hurt your long term relationships.

4. Make sure you charge enough so that it is worth your while but make sure you are competitive for your skill level. Do research of other painters taking commissions and see what they charge and how their skill level matches your own. Price accordingly. If you price too high you will not see much business if any. Price too low and you will be taken advantage of and get burned out.

5. Don't be afraid of declining a job. I have done it on occasion. If you don't like the work and don't want to do it - it will relfect in the project. Turn it down if you are not interested.

6. Take pleny of pictures. This helps your client know what the project looks like leading to good communication.

I am sure there is even more advice I can dispense but that should get you started.

To be honest I don't think your skill level is quite up there yet. I would focus on maybe trying to do some local business around your local game store. Get the practice in and work on your techniques and styles. Once you improve then I would seek to expand over the internet.

Ebay might be another good start for you. That is where i started. Take some of your best work and put it up on Ebay and see how it does. You might be able to fish for some future work and you can kind of guage where you are price wise...

Good luck though!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

What Slorak said is extremely good advice, especially leaving no room for confusion in pricing, and what you are going to do for that price.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

You know there was no need to post all that on here, you could of PM'ed it to me instead of saying that to me here. I never said I was doing top work just Tabletop which is very different from golden demon. But thanks anyway.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

No need to get insulted. He wanted to help you and we are looking forward to see more of your work
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Take this with a grain of salt...

If everything was always candy coated we as individuals would not progress or mature. There would be no need for drive or a desire to excel. This would lead to stagnation.

My intentions were to share good solid advice from tried and successful measures that can potentially lead to success for you or anyone else heading down this path.

Wether your goal is to do table top quality work or Golden Demon painting - here is food for thought... Always strive for the best. Be the best at table top. Don't stay mediocre. There are painters for hire by the handfull. It is in your best interest to do whatever you can to give yourself an edge. To say that you do just table top quality work is a disservice to yourself. Never sell yourself short. You may find that it will lead to disappointment.

I know you are young but now is as good a time as any to start thickening your skin. Not everyone will agree with you and you are apt to find much harsher critics than myself. If I offended you with what I said --- that was not my intentions. I am simply a straight shooter. I will tell it like it is. When you post to a public forum you should expect people to comment. If anything I truly am simply trying to help you achieve your goal.

Again good luck in your edeavors!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast