Getting Your GF into 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Your GF into 40k

Hey got a question for all of you on here with Gfs or wives.

Now my partner often hates alot of the things I enjoy until I convince her to try them then she usually loves them.
    Shes always hated 40k but i think it was more to do with not liking the friends I played with not the game.
    Well I finally convinced her to let me show her some of the real simple stuff bit of moving shooting etc but real simplified. She didnt hate this as much as she thought.
    I recon that it would be cool if I could get her into 40k so my question to you all is what would you do next to ease her into the hobby? Or conversly is this a really bad idea should I avoid it at all costs and why?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear All Concerned,

Just a few things you could try:

1. Show her the "Sisters of Battle", although it seems like a seterotype, women seem to think it is a cool army.
    2. Convert a model for her, such as the spellsinger or even just a normal model.
    3. Get her a few troops t paint.

Hope this Helped!

-ythc
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Show her all the armies,

tell her about them honestly.
    Don't treat her like a simpleton,

Don't put any pressure on her - let her get into it from her own volition. That's always more valuable

Papa K.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys
    Yeh been slowly easing her in think the biggest thing will be getting her to step into the local store and not be freaked out by all the geeks and what not lol.
    Already given her a little display peace with to Harlequins training/dancing in it for christmas which she loved.
    Though I think shes kinda scared off by the size of the rule book.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

The concept of the rules is what terrifies my wife, I think. Just have to reassure her that you can ease in, just like many of us did.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips on a good place to start or method to use?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Id have to say your probably best off not trying to get her into the hobby. Instead just tell her about it and explain different things and if and when she shows an interest, then look at the possibility of her beginning an amy etc.

Maybe let her paint some of your figs for now, play with your army if she wants too, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

A lot of girls seem to prefer the building/painting side of it.. so it seems. Not all girls mind you... (never get into a rules debate with Process >_< ).

But.. it's a wide and varied hobby.. so you know your girlfriend, find the parts which appeal to her.

If she doesn't like your wargeek company, then I'd really not recommend a store.. they're full of geeks and they smell bad.

Just do something between you two on your dining room table or something.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh something on the dinning table sounds fun
    I think ill just have to give it a go if it works she will love it if not im just going to have to join those smelly people in the store.(which of course she wont like ether)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Never take her into a GW store. you will freak her out with all the geeks and pushy employees. I remeber one time this guy brought his girl friend to the store and as soon as she left all the geeks were like"WOW! did you see that smoking hot babe... oh the things i would do to her!!!"

- my suggestion: just tell her stuff about the game every once in a while, but dont be all like "hey do you want to learn how to play!" if she has any interest, she'll ask you about it. otherwise if she seems hesitant just forget about it.

oh and if you get her to play a game dont be all like"Ha ha ah my ubber unit of doom just Pwned your entire army by turn 2... yeah i win." that leads to divorce or a breakup real fast.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast