GW CEO Change - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GW CEO Change

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

GW CEO Change

This one hasn't made the forums yet I don't think. Anyways, GW has a new CEO. Likely to do with some of their business failings in recent years, especially Lord of the Rings.

PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT

For immediate release 3 December 2007
    APPOINTMENT OF CHIEF EXECUTIVE

The Board of Games Workshop Group PLC (‘Games Workshop’ or the ‘Company’) is pleased to announce the appointment of Mark Wells to the Board as Chief Executive of the Company with immediate effect.

Mark joined Games Workshop in 2000 from Boots plc and has been Head of Sales at the Company since 2006.

Tom Kirby, who has been Chairman and Chief Executive of Games Workshop since 2000, will continue as Chairman of the Company.

Tom Kirby said: ‘Mark has the vision, ability and passion to lead Games Workshop in its next phase of growth. He not only understands Games Workshop’s business model and its special culture and spirit, but he is a strong advocate of the values that are so important to the Company.

‘Mark and I share the same vision for Games Workshop, and we have ambitious plans for growth and value creation. I trust Mark absolutely to do the right thing for the Company, our shareholders and our staff.’

No additional information should be disclosed under paragraph 9.6.13 of the Listing Rules of the UK Listing Authority.

…Ends…

Enquiries:

Games Workshop Group PLC
    Tom Kirby 0115 900 4001

Rawlings Financial PR Limited
    John Rawlings 01756 770376

Landsbanki Securities
    Shaun Dobson 0207 4269000

Notes to Editors:

Mark Wells Biography

Mark Wells, age 45, MA Law, St Johns College, Cambridge [Exhibition], MBA Stirling University. Qualified as a solicitor with Messrs Herbert Smith. Next plc: Retail, Mail Order, Buying and M&A. Various management roles with Boots plc, including Director of Customer Service, Boots The Chemists and Director of Merchandise and Marketing, Boots Stores, Netherlands. Games Workshop General Manager UK Sales and Hobby Division CEO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

This a bit old. We knew this last month when it was released.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

I know it's a bit old, but it's still good to see that rampant capitalism is still around.

"...I trust Mark absolutely to do the right thing for the Company, our shareholders and our staff."

He could have at least mentioned the millions of customers who spend a bucket load of money on their products.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    I know it's a bit old, but it's still good to see that rampant capitalism is still around.

"...I trust Mark absolutely to do the right thing for the Company, our shareholders and our staff."

He could have at least mentioned the millions of customers who spend a bucket load of money on their products.
    Should it be any other way? Oh my a business interested in making money... Who would have thought??? The outrage! ;?

In all seriousness and to address the issue of not thanking the millions of bucket toting customers... they usually don't do that sort of thing in press releases... For some reason I got a really silly image in my head of a GW store on fire and customers trying to put it out by throwing bucket fulls of money on it... ;o;?

Sorry. I must be in a silly mood for sure! Have a great evening!

Yarr!

-Mike:drinking:

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    Should it be any other way? Oh my a business interested in making money... Who would have thought??? The outrage! ;?

In all seriousness and to address the issue of not thanking the millions of bucket toting customers... they usually don't do that sort of thing in press releases... For some reason I got a really silly image in my head of a GW store on fire and customers trying to put it out by throwing bucket fulls of money on it... ;o;?

Sorry. I must be in a silly mood for sure! Have a great evening!

Yarr!

-Mike:drinking:
    Quite frankly, yes it should be another way. I have nothing against business trying to make (more) money don't get me wrong, it's just that it has become apparent in the last few years that that is all they have been interested in and it is taking it too far.
    I don't know what things are like in america but here in Australia it is common for a business to acknowledge the support of their customer base and at least pretend to pledge continual support - it's common courtesy at the very least.
    There is a point in succesdul business when, after you have built up excellent customer rapport and service, that it starts turning rather profitable. GW have reached this but the misake that many make is they become singularly focused on the bottom line and lose the support base and interaction they had with their customers that got them this far. So in their desire to make more and more money and sell more and more products they alienate and offend many of their long-term customers and this proves rather detrimental, as I fear GW is now finding out.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo
    I don't know what things are like in america but here in Australia it is common for a business to acknowledge the support of their customer base and at least pretend to pledge continual support
    Games Workshop is based in the UK, I believe.

-Nik
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikblade2005 View Post
    Games Workshop is based in the UK, I believe.

-Nik
    "If the whole world moved to their favorite vacation spots then the whole world would live in Hawaii, Italy and Cleveland."

Businesses everywhere have to, surprisingly, make money, both to stay afloat and if they have them, to satisfy shareholders. Otherwise, we could have a GW that is out of business, or worse, in the lawn and garden business. A profitable, healthy GW is far more important to me than one that panders to me in press releases.

Tekore

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

I don’t know why everyone thinks G.W is the only evil corporation.
    I work for the biggest brewery in the world, and I just spent the
    last two hours in a meeting reviewing 2007 figures. They are not
    too health at all, so now there is a big drive on increasing our market share,
    cutting costs, and increasing volume sold. But not once were our customers
    mentioned and the impact it might have on them. We will increase our prices,
    reduce costs, and generally sell beer to just about anyone. Why? so the company
    can see a bigger profit next year and the managers wont lose next years bonus.

A profitable, healthy GW is far more important to me than one that panders to me in press releases.
    I total agree with this, after all the press release is aimed at share holders not 16 year old hobbyist, anyone who believes otherwise has no clear grasp on what a company is there for.
    G.W is a wargaming company which leads its market, but it’s one in a large number of companies that compete for attention in a leisure market which is starting to suffer. Economic pressure and fears of global slow down and a possible recession have meant that most people are starting to tighten their spending.
    The credit crunch is making harder for people to borrow and also makes people aware about how much debt they are really in already.
    G.W and the brewery I work for are taking long hard looks at themselves and will
    be doing everything they can to increase growth and profitability.
    On the other hand this is good news for most of us; G.W is starting to produce some amazing quality work, and will be looking to other areas for further growth.

I think we can relax and look forward to many more years of
    G.W as the main hobby/wargaming company. But I would not expect any price drops so don’t hold your breath for that,infact I would expect even more price increases this year or early next year. As oil and energy prices rise, this will have a knock affect in the price of miniatures, the cost of road/air transportation, retail overheads.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

LOL, you are so right. This is examplory of how GW thinks.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quite frankly, yes it should be another way. I have nothing against business trying to make (more) money don't get me wrong, it's just that it has become apparent in the last few years that that is all they have been interested in and it is taking it too far.
    I don't know what things are like in america but here in Australia it is common for a business to acknowledge the support of their customer base and at least pretend to pledge continual support - it's common courtesy at the very least.
    There is a point in succesdul business when, after you have built up excellent customer rapport and service, that it starts turning rather profitable. GW have reached this but the misake that many make is they become singularly focused on the bottom line and lose the support base and interaction they had with their customers that got them this far. So in their desire to make more and more money and sell more and more products they alienate and offend many of their long-term customers and this proves rather detrimental, as I fear GW is now finding out.
    I find it funny that the biggest complaing most people have against GW is that they want to make money. How do you start a sentence saying you don't have a problem with GW making (more) money and then finish it up with... but that is all they are interested in?

Your second paragraph really doesn't make any sense. You spout out a bunch of alarmist theories with nothing to back it up - it also has nothing really to do with their announcement of a CEO change. In my opinion GW still listens to their consumer base - I would even go so far as to say much more so than any other time. They are continually asking for feedback via the web, their publication and even to some extent from the stores themselves on things that the consumer would like to see, how to better a product, etc. Games Days are an excellent venue for this. I have attended numerous seminars at GD's where key designers were asking what people thought of their work. They do listen.

Bottom line with the "money" issue. Since I am guessing you don't have a background in business or economics I am going out on a limb thinking that perhaps you can't afford what you want from GW? That tends to be a huge reason (and actually quite understandable) why a lot of people complain about the prices... Personally people who don't have the money to buy everything they want need to sit down and evaluate what is affordable. It is possible to get a playable force for less than $300. Throw in maybe $100 worth of supplies and you are set. The problem is people tend to buy multiple armies, grow bored and want something else, buy yet another army, and then complain about prices...

Quote Originally Posted by Zemaphore View Post
    LOL, you are so right. This is examplory of how GW thinks.
    Do you work for GW? Are you a member of the board? How do you know that this is how GW thinks? I would love to hear your argument for this statement. Please share.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast