5th ed 40k and The Golden Rule - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

5th ed 40k and The Golden Rule

The recent rumors and pdf of 5th edition have caused quite a stir in the gaming community over the earliness of its appearance and the magnitude of the changes. If the rumors are true, this will change the face of the game as we know it currently, instead of being the minor tweak to the rules we were expecting.

I have seen a great deal of both praise and criticism of the changes to game mechanics, and there its lots of discussion over whether the pdf is official and what it means for our armies. Some have considered quiting the game because of the havoc it wreaks with their current armies' rules or because their dislike of the new rules.

Yes, the rumors and authenticity of the pdf are not confirmed, but assuming they are, ultimately the golden rule is what matters.

My question is this: Will the game still be fun? Assuming the pdf was official and it were to come out tommorow, would you still have fun going out to chuck dice with your friends? Has our most important rule been lost or changed in the new edition?

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Hand View Post
    My question is this: Will the game still be fun? Assuming the pdf was official and it were to come out tommorow, would you still have fun going out to chuck dice with your friends? Has our most important rule been lost or changed in the new edition?
    I say that beyond all the complaining and whining, the golden rule of having fun would still be there. These rumours of the fifth edition rules and the pdf beta have some changes that are unsettling for many, but most of those changes are all things that can be countered and/or worked around.

(Fact remains that all those rumours and the beta floating around have not, and most likely will not, been confirmed as true; its very sill to be making a big deal of unconfirmed rumours about something that is supposed to be a minor tweaking rather than the overhaul that has been seen on the net.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

The golden rule is indeed to have fun. As it stands the 5th edition changes could hurt both of the armies I currently play and while I could dish out cash and write new lists, I like they way my army plays now. I could even deal with it if it were just small changes, but because of the lists I have picked, and the style of play I prefer there is just no way to make an army with a comparable feel that I like. That being said, I am not going to stop playing 40k. My friends and I have all had a long chat about what we will do if the new rules come out, and we have all decided to continue to play 4th edition if we find that 5th edition is as bad as we think. Sure we won't be going to any tournaments any time soon with our lists, but if the key is to have fun then we will continue to play our armies as we like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't have fun while playing there is no point to playing. So as said as long as I sitll have fun I won't have any problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

General rule of thumb: people don't like getting taken out of their comfort zone.

I suspect we will get around 4 months of power gamers moaning about their awesome combo's not working anymore while golders (people who play for fun first and foremost) will get on with things and probably have a hell of a time :party2:

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Until I get an official book in my hands, I'm not sweating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

You guys know you dont have to convert to 5ht ed right? its mearly suggested viewing matter.if you guys all own your previous rules it should be no problem with resisting 5th ed, hell thats prolly what i'm going to be doing, but I may as well buy a copy of 5th ed just to see what its like.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Arklite View Post
    General rule of thumb: people don't like getting taken out of their comfort zone.

I suspect we will get around 4 months of power gamers moaning about their awesome combo's not working anymore while golders (people who play for fun first and foremost) will get on with things and probably have a hell of a time :party2:
    Put me squarely in the latter category. Mostly, I'm jazzed about the changes I've seen in the leaked rules set. It will seriously change the way I play my army, and while I find that I probably won't be using standby units like I've been used to (which does make me sad), it will give me an excuse and opportunity to expand my tactical and strategic toolbox. Fun!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by zenith_tau View Post
    Until I get an official book in my hands, I'm not sweating.
    My thoughts exactly. No point in worrying until you've seen the hard copy.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

The changes as I see them now lengthen game turns considerably, and render tactics in general less complex, as well as lists.

These things take the competitiveness out of the game, to a degree. Average players will still claim it is just as competitive, just a different KIND of competitive. That doesn't mean they'll really be right.

Unless it plays out differently than it has so far in a LOT of leaked-rules playtesting, the game will actually be less fun. Will it still be somewhat fun? Maybe.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast