360 or SM Company? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

360 or SM Company?

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment i am currently saving my meager wages so that 1 may have some sort of life in the foreseeable future, however, as a last 'treat' ive decided to grab myself something ;Y

Now, my Bro has a 360 which tends to over heat, and unfortunately is rather 'protective' of it when he is banned from it and such like, so buying my own is an advantage there, but i will need to get some games afterwards (after re-establishing my Gamer-score etc) but i dont want to be splashing out NZ$100 every week or so on a new game which to be honest, there doesnt seem to be many tickling my fancy...

SM Company tho, now theres something im interested in. i feel like grabbing 1 because it will be an ongoing 'project' which will last me a fair while. but again, i will need to splash out on a few bits and bobs from time to time, but less expensive stuff.

So im in favour of the SM Company atm, but having recently been into HE and bought heaps of stuff and then suddenly going off of them... i dont want to make another mistake with such a huge amount of money...

So, my silly little self answering/ed question is... which do you think is worth getting to 'last me a very long time' kinda thing? both require a bit of work on my behalf in the end.

Any advice?

Shaabhekh :happy:

ps: sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum :s

In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

That is a terribly difficult question. I suppose you just have to ask yourself which hobby it is you enjoy more. Therein lies the answer.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The 360 will last you a few years, but the SMs will last a lifetime. I love my 360, but I cherish my minis. If you're already into buying a new consol every 3-4 years then by all means get the 360.

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x3)

Yeah, that's a tough pick. Personally, I do most of my gaming on my computer, and I have a Wii for party-games (like Brawl, whenever that bastard finally comes out...) So, I wouldn't buy a 360.

But it really depends on which you think you'd get the most ongoing enjoyment out of. The 360 does have some quality games.

If it makes any difference, I will note that the Battle Company box is a fantastic deal, based on standard GW pricing.

It contains:

6 Tactical Squads boxes ($35.00 USD each)
    4 Devastator Squad boxes ($35.00 USD each)
    4 Assault Squad boxes ($25.00 USD each)

All told, that's $450.00 USD--that's equal to its retail price, here in the States

In addition, you get

9 Rhinos (with enough bits to turn one into a Razorback)
    a Command Squad box
    and a Commander box

The Rhinos are another $270.00 USD worth of stuff.

I don't know what prices are like in NZ, but here, at least, you really get your money's worth out of it.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly think this is a terribly easy question, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaabhekh View Post

So, my silly little self answering/ed question is... which do you think is worth getting to 'last me a very long time' kinda thing? both require a bit of work on my behalf in the end.

Any advice?
    As you're specifically asking what will last you a very long time, I always say minis are the answer.

Console releases are cyclical, as everyone knows. Unless I miss my guess, I'd say the 360 is entering the autumn of its lifespan. (If you were considering a Wii or Ps3 it'd be a little different). Nothing sucks more than buying a console, a respectable library of games, and having the next big thing announced and waiting on the horizon before you've even had a chance to enjoy it.

But your Space Marines could still be there when you're playing the XBox 1080, or PS12, or Gibbly-Gobbly-Goo (I just assume that Nintendo's names will continue on the path of the nonsensical and absurd). Yeah there will be new Space Marine releases, but you can just add those to your existing force. And when you're 'done' with them, all painted and looking particularly threatening, you've got a good, impressive looking army to wargame with.

Just my theory is all. And how I justify plopping down $250 for my new Vampire Counts army this March instead of that Wii I was wanting. ;?

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

It's a hell of a lot of money you've got there. Since your brother balready has a 360 I suspect that he'll let you play on it off and on.

Have you thought about spending the money on something other than the two options mentioned like a holiday?
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Well, in my humble little opinion it's way more fun to buy one tactical squad at a time and gradually build up an army instead of splurging a lot of money on something so big that may seem slightly daunting when it comes to painting and converting the miniatures, and you would most likely end up rushing them

I say either get a 360, a good online game and a years worth of Live, then progress on your SM when you have spare money or just buying say 2-3 tactical squads and converting them into a command squad with two backup squads, or something similar - really put yourself into it and enjoy it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, been a good help.

I will keep saving and think about it some more, although grabbing the marines is pretty tempting

Cheers!

Shaabhekh :happy:
    In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mean to be the mother in this but I would say save it, or put some of it in a saveings bond. For future use. Because after a good number of years your bond will get quite big.

But yeah, If you have enough marines, and you don't "need" any more, then don't. If you really want a consol, try looking at a nitendo Wii, it is really fun! Also the counsol is cheeper and so are the games. (don't get the ps3, it sucks!)

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PS3 is awesome, it's the software on it that sucks. Every single PS3 exclusive game gets released to the 360!

On topic though, it sounds like you already know what you want. With a 360 already in the house and a space marine army that needs reinforcements the way seems clear.

Plus, you posted the question on a Warhammer board. I'm honestly surprised at the number of unbiased opinions you've recieved thus far!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast