"thought Begets Heresy" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking about the Imperial chant: "Thought begets heresy". This brings up several points:

1) The fact that the Imperium are attempting to prevent their citizens form rational thought, must mean that they do not want them to realize what the Imperium actually is, and this implies that the Imperium are wrong, but they don't want people to know.

2) The above point could mean that Chaos are in fact the good guys. (yeah, right. but you know what I mean).

3) The imperium are trying to brainwash their citizens and soldiers (through propaganda) into mindless drones designed to serve the (corpse) Emperor's will.

Thoughts?

Apathy is the greatest enemy of all.

=0_o=

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no thoughts. I know only what mass media tells me. I am unable to form opinions. All that I understand is that blind patriotism=good.

But really, you make good points. They do sound a bit...ummm...fascist. Everything belongs to the Emporer, pay homage to the Emporer, do not question the will of the Emporer, etc. Yes it sounds like some of our very own world history is being replayed with a psychic twist. Still, I love the game! But then, I do play tyranid, which are the only race where you can truly be free [/sarcasm off].
    Ah, our brilliant President:

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." —George W. Bush, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

That's the point and beauty of 40k, there is no good guy.

The Imperium is a facist, evil regime.

Chaos is into excess, sin, mutation, bad stuff.

Eldar are into decadence, arrogant, manipulative.

Dark Eldar are, well, Dark Eldar.

Orks like to fight.

Tyranids eat everything.

Tau are hippies, communist hippies :o

Necrons/C'tan hate all life, so they want to kill it.

See, there are no good guys or bad guys, no black or white, only varying shades of gray.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some ones read a little to much eisenhorn, compliments on reading material however there are only 3 evils in the universe the xeno hereticus and malleus all are extremis diabolis in the eyes of the god emperor and must be cleansed,interrogated,and killed

the emperor protects,
    interrogator deeth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The imperium isn't good nor evil, none of the armys in 40k really are, there fighting for what they belive in, whether it be protection of there people through any means(including killing off billons of there own), vengance, or just getting dinner, everything in 40k is a shade of gray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gist of the Emperor and those who rule in his stead is that the Imperium must be puritanical and fascist in order for humanity to stand a chance in an extremely hostile universe. I have always been amused by this notion, unsure whether or not to accept this idea as good or bad. They make a good point and life in the 41st millenium is very different than life now. One the other hand, the implied notions are quite unsettling and a bit terrifying when one thinks about whether or not the creators of 40K are promoting these ideas. GW has always struck me as an unusually conservative company if their products are any proof. The science fiction author Robert E. Heinlen comes to mind. Food for thought I suppose
    “Cry ‘Havoc’ and let slip the dogs of war!? - Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda see the Imperium as good, only misguided. I just don't believe in the Emperor. God, yes. Emperor, no.

I also slightly disagree with the Imperium's strict doctrines. Strict is one thing, overbearing and tyrannical is another.
    "Can you put that in a memo and title it '***** I already know!'"
    ~Sarge

Church: "Ok, so we're agreed? You first!"
    Sarge: "Get on with it, Griff."
    Griff: "I'd just like everyone to know: that I suck."
    Church: "And?"
    Griff: "And that I'm a girl..."
    Church: "What else?"
    Griff: "And I like ribbons in my hair, and I want to kiss all the boys."
    Sarge: "This has to be the best surrender of all time."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean about the shades of grey, but ==Me== brought up tau as being just a grey as well. Surely the Tau are the good guys,m with their diplomatic ties, and greater good, or have the auns simply brainwashed me?
    Apathy is the greatest enemy of all.

=0_o=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would personaly be inclined to agree that the Tau are probably good as well, or if not "good" as "good" as the Imperium, if not a little better in a sense. I don't know their doctrine, other than "For the greater good" which doesn't tell me much. I haven't read any fluff about the thus far, and don't own the codex. But I assume they aren't as "brutal" as the Imperium. So maybe I'd have to change my vote to go for the Tau as the "good guys".
    "Can you put that in a memo and title it '***** I already know!'"
    ~Sarge

Church: "Ok, so we're agreed? You first!"
    Sarge: "Get on with it, Griff."
    Griff: "I'd just like everyone to know: that I suck."
    Church: "And?"
    Griff: "And that I'm a girl..."
    Church: "What else?"
    Griff: "And I like ribbons in my hair, and I want to kiss all the boys."
    Sarge: "This has to be the best surrender of all time."

T10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I also think that there are no real 'good guys'. I mean, most people would think of Imperium forces to be the good guys, just because they are humans, which we consider good (which is just slightly biased). But really, they find a planet, see a few heretics, and go down to kill everything. That's not really fair on the innocent ones.

Oh, and the Tau don't really seem to be for 'The Greater Good', because if they were, they wouldn't be trying to kill everyone while they claim more and more and more and more planets off of the Imperium.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast