As close as I can get it... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As close as I can get it...

(sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)
    Is Dawn Of War any good? I can no longer trust game magazines reviews, they get tainted.

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I have the game and I used to play it quite frequently, and I really liked it. I really liked the game play, and it offered a nice change from other similar games. 2 things that I paticularly liked was

1) the connection with warhammer
    2) Relic, strategic, and requisition points

Overall I think the game is really good. I'd get it if you're into RTS's.

also this would probably better suited in the game's forum or w/e it's called.

peace man :happy:

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Short answer, yes.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

yeah it's pretty good... I kinda got over it, but that's the go with most games these days.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x4)

Well, I dont play it all that much now except in LAN games, but the third expansion is out next month, so it gets another longevity boost there.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

And you can get the anthology now too, which has the two expansions on it.

its a good game, in a Starcraft type way- and I can see why it is very popular in multiplayer (although ive only ever played the single player game)
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I'm a bit behind the times, as I haven't played Dark Crusade (tho the gf just got it for me for my birthday, gotta love her), but I've played the original and Winter Assault.

Basically, if you're expecting an exact duplication of the tabletop game, you'll be very disappointed, as the gameplay really doesn't resemble it at all, and I don't think that was ever the plan.

It plays pretty much like any other RTS (Starcraft, Command and Conquer, etc.), with one crucial exception: Units can be replenished on-the-fly (lost a guy? Select a unit and replace him), which sounds a little weird, but if you think about it, it isn't any weirder than the infantry barracks from Command and Conquer (or, as I like to call them, the "clown cars") churning out hordes of men. In Dawn of War, you also see, at least on the Imperial side, drop ships coming in to deposit parts and men whenever you build something, which actually ADDS to the realism.

There are also command points to capture, which you then must defend to protect your warbuilding assets. Reminds me of the Battlefront games.

Other than that, it's basically a run-of-the-mill RTS, starring your favorite tabletop heroes. With the "anthology," you can play with Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, Eldar, Necrons, Orks, and Chaos. Only thing missing are Dark Eldar (stay tuned. They're coming out in the NEW installment!) and nids, which I understand requires a shift in the game engine or something to get right, so don't hold your breath.

All in all, it's pretty good. I enjoy it. My only real criticism is it appears (haven't played it yet) that Dark Crusade, the current expansion, has no single-player campaign a la Starcraft or Command and Conquer. Instead, there's an open-ended "campaign" where there's a map, and you have to take one territory after another, populated at random by (insert other race here). Honestly, does NO ONE in the gaming industry care about good old fashioned, single-player narratives anymore?

Overall, though, it's worth it. I hope the monoliths look better in Dark Crusade than they did at the end of Winter Assault, though.
    Last edited by Canew; February 18th, 2008 at 14:02.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

It also uses squad based combat, so instead of controling individual guys, you control whole squads at a time.

+ Reply to Thread