Gah! Help Choosing an Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Army Should I Get Next?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • House Stark (Space Wolves)

17 22.97%
  • 'Nids with MPD!

18 24.32%
  • Dark Eldar, Because They Scare You

16 21.62%
  • Eldar Corsairs, I Didn't Take Your Doomsday Machine!

6 8.11%
  • Vampiric Tau, the Guys You Called Emo Before They Tore Out Your Throat.

17 22.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gah! Help Choosing an Army

Like the other thread on the first page..... I'm having major problems choosing my second army, mostly because I love every army in 40k....

So my choices are:

House Stark from Song of Ice and Fire themed Space Wolves. I love them fluff and army wise, but they have so many options! It's daunting!

Tyranid hive fleet that is controlled by a part of the hive mind that is totally insane. (literally, Hive Mind with MPD!) Would use lots of Genestealers and Horms, because they're awesome. Fluffwise, no idea if this is actually possible...

Eldar Corsairs, you know, steal from the rich give to.....me. Would use alot of Pathfinders and mobile stuff, but metal models annoy me..

Dark Eldar, I've always wanted to start them, but you know really old 'dex...

Vampiric Tau that can see in the dark, got trapped on a planet with vampire beasts due to warp storm. Would be mech, because in my opinion that's the only way Tau should be fielded.

So, what do you think is most interest or would be most fun to play? Why? and you know, just do what you can to help me decide, ask questions if need be.

Last edited by Ivellis; March 14th, 2008 at 09:16.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Generally I'd look for an army that offers a significant contrast to my old army. If my last army was mechanized and focused on close-combat, I'd go for a ranged, foot-slogging army. If my last army was a horde army, I'd go for an elite army with a relatively small body count.

I don't know what you play now, but of all those listed, I'd probably go with either the 'Nids or the Space Wolves. I voted for the Space Wolves simply because I love the models and they have some pretty cool units. For Tyranids, I like the army as a concept and for the models, but never really liked the rules behind them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

First, i think csm is a great army to play so if you had that option id pick that one, but im biased =P.

I chose tau, just because they were my second choice of army before settling on csm. Lots of really unique units, i like the mechs, the whole markerlight idea, and the wide variety of unique units. I've heard some people say that tau are an easy win for their opponent, but i think its all about how you play them(of course).

At some point you have to make the decision, and i think the fluff background of the army should be a big deciding factor. If you don't get into the army you're playing and painting, i think you should play a pc rts for your strategy fix. Pick something that you can get behind and identify with.

I picked csm because i like the idea of fallen angels, meant well, felt talked down to, split off into their own faction, and are fighting for what they believe in. I play the purge csm chapter because I like the idea of spreading nurgle's plague and creeping death. You can see them coming, they arent stealthy or fast, but you can't stop them, they just keep coming no matter what you throw at them and thats pretty terrifying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say go with DE, but possibly wait till the new dex/stuff sometime late this year early next year. However if you want to start a new army right away, go with Eldar.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

When all else fails, go with the models you will enjoy painting. You sound most enthusiastic about Space Wolves and Tyranids, and between the two I'll say Tyranids. Fresh, quality Codex, not too many metal minis and Marines tend to be overplayed.

The Tyranid fluff is not really possible, but eh. Who knows what local phenomena might disrupt the Hive Mind in a region?
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    The Tyranid fluff is not really possible, but eh. Who knows what local phenomena might disrupt the Hive Mind in a region?
    I think the problem with the Tyranid fluff he has planned is that we're using modern, 21st century Earthling standards to judge the psychology of an ancient, supremely powerful alien entity. "Insanity" or "Multiple Personality Disorder" (which is what I assume MPD means, but isn't it actually called Disjunct Personality Disorder? I don't really know) are two terms that don't mean a heck of a lot in Tyranid terms. Does anybody even know if 'Nids are self-aware? How could a Tyranid, even the Hive Mind, identify itself as two different individuals? And if it did, would that even be abnormal?
    Last edited by grimmtu; March 15th, 2008 at 01:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nid would be............

I say dear chap Marine what a lovely day *POP* EAT EAT EAT!!!.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I'd like to say orks cos they just rock, so easy to convert and there is so many options as far as I'm concerned but it wasn't on the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

How about Warhammer Fantasy? Then you can use the actual vampires! 8Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose DE, just because I love the way they move and act on the field.

However their models are . So I 'm waiting till the new ones come out.

If you can't wait, I'd goe Tau (that's some nice fluff :p)

Greets HH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast