burst the bubble - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

burst the bubble

Today I headed down to the local gamesworkshop to get into an apocalypse game (not to play, to watch), I didn't want to get involved because I expected the painting standards to be incredibly high to play on a GW made table...

I get there after waiting for 2 weeks and it turns out there is all kids, about 10 of them from age 8 - 15 at the most, and even then there was only one id say was over 13.

I've noticed a lot of you say you like this game because it excludes little kids from playing because of the high prices but I guess you never realized there is a lot of spoiled brats out there getting all they want.
    A few of the kids were little sooks, one went off at his mate on the same side because he didn't fire his whirlwind, even though he had no LOS and it was the enemies turn at the time.

I'd like to know how these kids find the time to paint and make all these, and how a parent would dare spend 700$ on an army for their kid made of little plastic models.
    One of the much older kids had a necron and eldar army, probably both around 1250 if he used everything and with upgrades and I just don't know how they do it.

I think this has been more of a rant than anything but there is one more thing I'd like to say before anyone goes to read other bits and pieces.

One of the GW employees came back from lunch or whatever, painting some dwarfs on the table I watched him while he licked the brush, put most of the paint on a GW bag then wiped what was left on his finger, I said (without any attitude at all, merely trying to be friendly) "it's weird watching how other people paint", without even looking at me he goes "WHAT? it's weird using a brush" in the biggest ass-hole tone he could conjure.

At that point I let him be in his little dream world where he can be a jerk all he wants.

Is what I said so easy to take out of context? Is this how everyone paints? Or was this guy just a big nob?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Well, techinally you did pretty much say his painting style was weird. It would be like me telling you, "It's weird watching how you walk."

As for those kids... I wish I was a spoiled brat when I was a kid. All I got was a lego set for the usual christmas. And socks. :c

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

ONLY LEGOS? ONLY!!??! Legos rule. There is not such thing as ONLY legos. LEGOS > GW.

As to the original poster the people you run into vary depending on where you go. I live in a midsized town and there are maybe 5 stores total that carry GW stuff and only two or three where you can play games. One is a giant Hobby Lobby/Hobby Town and the place is always packed with screaming brats in need of serious parental guidance. The second place in my town is this independant gaming store. Its located in an out of the way old strip mall and more than half of the store is gaming and painting tables. Better yet the crowd is very mature with us 20 somethings being on the younger end of the spectrum though there are a few teens and tweens. The store owner rocks, every time I go in there I end up talking to him for 30 mins to an hour about new armies, old armies, painting, upcomming tournaments whatever. Granted prices are a bit more than I would pay elswhere, but I am more than willing to pay the extra to support a local business rather than some corporate chain.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

Why is it bad if kids play GW? I don't see what's wrong with all these kids having big armies either? What exactly is this rant about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what is paticularly wrong with this? There is good and bad, like everything else.

I go down to my Local games workshop, and I play a game. There are occasionally a few very young (aged 5- children there. They may need help with the rules, but that is to be expected. Is there anything overly wrong about them enjoying the hobby?

I can understand if the person is overly unknowledgeable, or arrogant, but normal kids are okay.

As for the GW employee, generally it is best to buy something before saying "You paint weird". It just gets them to think more of you.

Ah well. Next time, join in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Bonzi View Post
    ONLY LEGOS? ONLY!!??! Legos rule. There is not such thing as ONLY legos. LEGOS > GW.

I meant no disrespect towards Lego, it's just that... it was only one set. Just one. I needed more of those wonderous blocks not one every blue moon. D:

(Course then along came the Nintendo, and... the chaotic creativity of Lego is fun, but when you make up your own rules it wasn't really much of a challenge. :p )

Ehm, anyways, besides me derailing the thread...

It's not bad to have a couple of those underdeveloped human spawn adorable children playing warhammer, but when you have a room full of them without adult supervision and taser use on them is frowned upon, well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

My only problem with GW's, really, is how they treat ladies, i just stopped taking my GF with me into the GW because it was embarrassing, it was almost like harassement and i've seen em do it too other females too.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kinkeh secks pl0x?! Brother Tiberius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x2)

i also lick my paintbrush when painting. it keeps the bristles together and also wets the paint just a little bit more making the paint a little easier to paint onto the mini.

The little kids playing apocalypse shouldnt bother you that much. at least that way we can see that the game will carry on and these people will be the future.

you should be happy for them =] enjoying the game that we all enjoy so much

-Tib
    My homage to my time spent at Libararium Online:
    Crimson Fists
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1658499

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Zemaphore View Post
    My only problem with GW's, really, is how they treat ladies, i just stopped taking my GF with me into the GW because it was embarrassing, it was almost like harassement and i've seen em do it too other females too.
    I take my girlfriend to almost all of my games at GW and i've never had problems... Once this guy tried to pick her up but then he saw she was with me and that was it. How did they treat females at your gw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

i don't lick the paintbrush, isn't paint, uhm... toxic? lol

I do do something similiar, i have one of those yellow cleaning cloths and i slightly wet that and "lick" my brush with that.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast