40K Film? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40K Film?

By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

40K Film?

I know it's unlikley, but if GW ever released the rights to Warhammer 40K what would your ideal film be?

I know that the Horus Heresy would be the obvious answer, but is there any other 40K film that you would like to see?

I'd have to vote for either the Battle for Armageddon, or the 13th Black Crusade.

And If I had the money, I would kill for the oppertunity to make a film of this

Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Any film about any of the more obscure races would be cool I think (i.e. not SM or guard)

Who wouldn't want to go see a film about Tyrandis, necrons and dark eldar?

Same applies for FB - I would be less enthused about watching a film about Brets and Empire than one about lizardmen and skaven!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I think the most likely storyline, at least in my opinion, would be based around an Inquisitor and his/her retinue.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

the main problem with a 40k film is that they have to make it appeal to a wider audience than just us gamers, as we are too small a target audience to generate a worthy revenue for a film, thus they have to make it undertandable to someone who has no proir knowlage of the game, thats why the Playstation game Firewarrior was based on the Tau, as an Imperial Soldier (of any sort) would be harder to explain, (the complexities of the astartes , the rules of the machine etc) so an alien was a better choice , as there isnt as much to explain, its an alien, people dont expect to know exerything, they look in on the imperium, that way they dont need to explain as much, as the main charcter, the alien, doesnt know as much himself.

another problem with imperial forces is Chaos, its such a complex idea it would take to long to explain the gods, the warp etc, all of which im sure would crop up in an GW film worth its salt.

i personaly think if a film were to be made it would be from a Xenos point of View.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x3)

BrotherAzriel, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Doing a film from the Xenos POV might work, but it could also be a major blow, making the Imperium look like the USSR of the 41st Millenium.

I think everything can be explained fairly simply, as you don't need to go into the complexeties.

For example, the Astartes are Superhuman holy warriors, right? So in a filler scene used to aquaint the audence with the characters, some off duty guardsmen or whatever can be idly talking about rumours of the Astartes, and a grizzled old veteran can describe the Astartes at some long ago battle. Then, later on in the film, the Astares can turn up (possibly right at the very end) and absolutley own every body.

Chaos can be done in much the same way; "We were fighting the trecherous filth, followers of Khorne, the Chaos God of bloodshed, when the Holy Astartes of the Blood Angles turned up and save our lives." etc. etc.

The warp can easily be dealt with using deamons being summoned. Ie: A Chaos sorceror summons deamons and a rent opens up in space and deamons pour out. Guardsman yells; "What on Terra are they?" His buddy says; "Deamons. From the Warp!"

Nothing has to be explained in full. In fact, it's often better for things to be explained as little as makes sense rather than trying to spell everything out.
    Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote goes for any concept that is R-rated and not having Space Marines in the lead role, any interaction with Marines should show their true nature: Barely human warrior-monks who has pledged their entire existence to defend a totalitarian dictatorship against any conceivable threat.

Bonus point if the movie have a scene with a Witch Hunter calling in an Exterminatus and not showing any sort of sadness.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Make a trilogy covering the Horus Heresy. If explained well (as though it were a stand-alone, and not just for hobbyists), it would be successful.

Obscure alien races and such would not be a welcome part of the plot for anyone but GW fanboys.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I think if they were to go from a book, it'd have to be "Kill Team", the second Last Chancers book.
    People would recognise the "dirty dozen" theme to it, and so it would require less explanation. It also involves a few Xenos races (Tau, Kroot, Orcs, etc) and introduces Space Marines.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they made it I would probably hate it. I generally don't like spin offs. LOTR was a pleasant surprise for me, I remember the trepidation I felt about it before I saw the film and how glad I was that they didn't balls it up, probably because Hollywood were kept at reasonable arms length.

I can imagine a 40K film would suck, it would be just another shoot em up aimed at 12 year olds. No thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

116 (x6)

The Eisenhorn series is probably the best choice for a series of films. Deep characters and development, focused on a small group of people, very few marines, and best of all Cherubael.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast