GW plastics and metals. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GW plastics: Health Hazard?

Cleaning up mould lines and flash etc can be annoying. Whether your filing it of or scraping it with a knife.

This often results in small particles of plastic floating in the air. (plastic dust)

And what if one were to inhale it? These people would also frequently be inhaling such plastics and/or metals.

How harmful is this to one's health. Apparently epoxy resins has been known to cause cancer when inhaled (ie forgeworld perhaps).

Last edited by ForthTheThunder; May 4th, 2008 at 09:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Yep, this is true.

I'm not sure how much a concern it is. The metal flakes will weigh enough to drop away rather than be inhaled but the plastic powder could affect you especially if you are using an electric tool for filing/grinding- these throw particles around a lot more than a hand tool.

If it worries you then wear a breathing mask. They're only a couple of dollars from hardware stores. You might want to pick up goggles too, if you're using a power tool to grind metal.
    Last edited by The Paint Monkey; May 5th, 2008 at 07:58.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In which case it should be recommended that:

-Whilst filing/clearning mould lines of plastics, dusk masks should be used.
    Last edited by ForthTheThunder; May 4th, 2008 at 10:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless your face is right up close to the model and you are going at it with a power tool while taking nice deep breaths - it is very unlikely that you will be inhaling plastic particles. As stated above wear a mask if you are concerned but it is most likely not necessary.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard about any health effects, other than slicing open my fingers on sodin knives!

I'm more worried about what I eat, consider for those who spread margarine on their toast it's only one enzyme away from being a plastic.......

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

I think you'd be in more danger of accidentally flicking the model into your own mouth and choking to death on it than inhaling enough plastic to harm yourself.

You don't need a mask or goggles or anything else - now please - stop freaking out! It's a little bit creepy...

+ Reply to Thread