Online Hobby - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online Hobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online Hobby

it just occured to me: why doesnt GW just develop a way for the hobby to be played online? for example, you could still buy your minatures from the store, but instead of standing for 2 hours to play a game, you could do it in the comfort of your home? your units would appear online and would be animated. not like dawn of war where the game is a RTS, but where you would follow the same rules for moving shooting, magic, close combat phases of the game as you would in the store. wouldnt that be better than showing up on a saturday just to play the same 15 - 20 people you always encounter?

just a random thought. opinions anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

GW would never do that.

Why let people plat for free when you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on their figures?

There is an unofficial module allowing you to do this. It's called Vassal, and someone who knows more about this would be better served helping you. Just don't play Svalene. (of course, I jest when I say that)

-AFG//

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Ever heard of Vassal? Dont even have to pay... anyway

There's one key reason GW wouldnt do this. They could, but just wouldn't... Money, what else?

They would have to pay people. To set it up, and to ''moderate'' it (they wouldn't like people using it when actually playing with proxies etc)

Same reason the GW Forums were closed, WD has gone crap, blisters have been mostly removed from stores... etc etc. Saves them money, hence increases profit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course logically they wouldnt offer it for free. hence thier overpriced models anyway. i suggested that they would stilll have to pay for it though. like to use a unit ofgrey knights you would still have to par however much it costs to use them in this online game.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Im just looking forward to seeing the first real life holographic and animated gaming systems

Having recently started magic... im also thinking along the lines of the Yu-gi-oh cartoons here too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

All Games Wokshop-bashing aside, I don't think that would be fun. There are better ways to invigorate the hobby than to turn it into a turn-based video game. I agree gaming is a lot more comfortable and relaxing from the comfort of one's own home; that's why it's nice to find a handful of players you have fun with (or just get the friends you already have to start playing) and form a group that can meet at people's houses that have boards.

It's a neat suggestion, but I definitely wouldn't want to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Before the site died (imposing payment to use it, oddly enough), there was once Lorenz. They did precisely that with WHFB.

It was a great game, but everything took too long. Even a 500pts game took 2 hours to complete for some reason.

Plus, the dice generator I could never find in myself to trust...

-AFG//

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Because the product you pay them money for isn't a game, it's a hobby and participation in a community. Take those away and it's just another game that isn't nearly as good as countless other offerings already available for your PC.

+ Reply to Thread