Where did the fun go? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Where did the fun go?

hey everybody I have a big concern about my gaming. Me, my brother and two of my friends started warhammer fantasy 5 years ago, 40k 3.5 years ago and a second fantasy army 2.5 years ago. I have played countless games with all of them and have had memorable moments. But that's not my concern. My concern is that I have been curb stomping my friends (tie or minor victory against my bro) for 5 years! (every and I mean every game ends with a total massacre for me). The victory cake is stale and moldy and has lost its appeal. One of the two friends has never won a game of warhammer! The other one only wins because he beats the other one all the time. I had an eldar army (got rid of it for orks) and of 25 games i was 25-0-0. we have played games using the other players armies and me and my bro have massacred are own armies. Their armies seem good on paper but obviously their tactics are questionable. I actually want to tie a game of fantasy and 40k. Does anyone have any advice to make our games more enjoyable or should I just go to Gamesworkshops for a good game?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

This is actually quite simple, handicap yourself a little. By limiting yourself in creative and fun ways you even the playing field and improve your generalship as you cope with new challenges. Try reducing your points allotment by a quarter or try some unusual scenarios. Don't just pull things out of the rule book. Go crazy, divide your army into thirds and have them come on every two turns to represent your forces responding to his ambush. You play eldar, perhaps there is a warp storm near by that is affecting them psychically, each of your units could suffer -3 initiative and -2 ballistic skill on a roll of 5+ every turn. Victory doesn't have to be the only goal, maybe this battle is a glorious last stand and you are outnumbered 3 or four points to one. See how many points you can kill before being overwhelmed. Another great handicap that can be fun to use is a theme army. Build an army of archers or with one with no magic. Look to the fluff for inspiration.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Imposing limits on your own deployment, force organization, or mission criteria forces you to cope in inventive ways. Don't let any two games be the same. The rules system is flexible enough to encompass your imagination. Mix things up a bit, I bet you'll enjoy it.

On another note, try teaming up with your buddies at a team tournament. They can learn some stuff and it win or lose it will be fun to play each other cooperatively for a change. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps your could alter your army composition. Eldar is a fearsome army when controlled by the right player, you could even say its prone to cheesey composition. Try reducing elements of your army that your opponents have trouble with and get out of your own comfort zone. If that fails you can take fewer points like the guy above me suggested, I've done that myself it actually does add a little excitement trying to come back from a disadvantage. Enough of a dispairity and you really have to struggle with your opponent again to gain a victory.
    KROOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was all great advice and I would also consider how your units are actually performing. Most likely you have a few things that make your army go and give your friends nightmares and cold sweats.

This would fall under that same idea of handicapping yourself, but you could also do it by making a out of the ordinary army that isn't considered competitive. An army like this could be interesting to field and could also be more challenging keeping the game fresh.

One of the most important thing for all the players is to have fun. If people aren't having fun they won't want to play and thats no good for anyone.

Good Luck...or mayhaps bad luck would be the best thing for you

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

If all else fails, hop on a bus down to Chicago and play at Adepticon. You will lean how much you still have to learn very quickly! (or perhaps prove to be some prodigy who wins it all on the first try )

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

You also might think about sitting down with your friends etc. and teaching them some things about the game. Different strategies, what you would do in certain situations, etc. Be a peer "tutor" while two of them play against eachother, give them both tips and friendly advice, help them get better as players.

During games against them, tell them various ways they can counter what you're doing, help them build their army lists for a nice balance, do stuff like that. It helps a lot, especially if you're like me in that you enjoy helping other people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hi.
    Have you tried playing 40k as a narrative driven game.
    Its the best way to play 40k IMO.

Heck just writing out senarios with you gaming buddies can be lots of fun.Take inspiration from any where you like, History , films, whatever.

And 'tell the story as you play', then its more like making a '40k war movie ' with you friends and who wins or looses becomes of very little importance.

My gameing group have played 40k this way for 16 years , and we havent stopped having fun yet!

(We have a range of 'serious wargames suitable for ballanced competative play' ,to use when we want to see who is the best table top general.)

GW provide you with the stage and the props, what play you put on, is up to you!

Be creative , have fun!

TTFN
    Lanrak.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    You also might think about sitting down with your friends etc. and teaching them some things about the game. Different strategies, what you would do in certain situations, etc. Be a peer "tutor" while two of them play against eachother, give them both tips and friendly advice, help them get better as players.

During games against them, tell them various ways they can counter what you're doing, help them build their army lists for a nice balance, do stuff like that. It helps a lot, especially if you're like me in that you enjoy helping other people.
    What he said. The solution is not to make yourself dumber. If you care about your fellow players, the best way to make things more fun is to make them SMARTER. What do they have for a list? Do you notice them making the same mistakes over and over again? Are there any units they can add/remove than can help? Have they ever asked you for help? What do you tell them?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    If all else fails, hop on a bus down to Chicago and play at Adepticon. You will lean how much you still have to learn very quickly! (or perhaps prove to be some prodigy who wins it all on the first try )
    This type of thing is a good idea!

Yeah - I think that as well as helping your mates to play the game better, you could go in search of better opponents elsewhere as well.

Maybe look around for wargaming clubs in your area, and keep an eye open for tournaments! Visiting your local store and asking around is probably a good way to start.

Man, I love tournaments. So many facets you can concentrate on - this year round i'm going for best painted, ain't going to be easy! So stressful...
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I myself am no prodigy, far from it, but I've had the exact same problem. I crush my oppoenents, not a "minor" not a "solid" but truly a "victorious slaughter" every time. So, to rectify the situation, I went and started playing new people.
    I still play with/against my friends, and we still run campaigns and we still play wild skewed scenarios. And I still win. But it's more fun for them. And playing other people teaches me alot more about the game than constant victories.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast