Need help in Choosing Race for Showcase Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which race should i pick?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chaos Marines

10 20.00%
  • Space Marines (+ black templar, etc)

2 4.00%
  • Orks

8 16.00%
  • Eldar

8 16.00%
  • Imperial Guard

5 10.00%
  • Dark Eldar

5 10.00%
  • Tau

0 0%
  • Tyranids

1 2.00%
  • Inquistorial Forces (Daemon hunters, etc)

11 22.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

Need help in Choosing Race for Showcase Army

Hi all, i've been part of LO for about half a year, been playing 40k for 3.5 years, and fantasy on and off. I've recently been wanting to do an army that isn't mean for competitive play but more of a themed, fully converted army with lots of fluff. right now i have a 4000 pt blood angels army, 1000 pt competitive mech eldar, and 2000 pts of random tyranids (which is still not enough for me)

The big problem i'm having now is choosing which race i want. The things i'm looking for is more of a close combat army with hardcore vets with maybe some transports(even if its a horde army, i still want a bunch of heavily upgraded vets leading the charge). I've looked at mechanized khorne zerkers, drop podding marine vets with terminators, nobz and boyz in a huge green tide, aspect warrior mobs with the avatar leading, and a bunch of others.

So give me your thoughts on what you think what race i should do and what kind of units would help me towards a theme of a rampaging horde or a spearhead charge of elite heavy infantry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for Orks because nothing looks more impressive than a vast horde of well painted minis.

Orks also provide lots of options for over the top conversions

Having said that, Khorne would be my second choice or Black Templars, just cause I like them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

I will abstain from voting as I think it's a mistake to let the decision be decided by anyone but yourself. Instead, I'll just put my two cents in and you can take it or leave it. If you are looking for something more unique fluffwise, I find Orks are pretty easy to manage. If it is more color/conversion work you're looking for, nothing beats Tyranids.
    That being said, do you have a theme in mind?
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't really say which would be the best, so for now, I won't vote. I'll wait and see some other opinions.

Right now, if you're trying to do an army that you have not done yet, maybe try a space marine chapter that turned chaos. Chaos leaves some fun for converting, and this would leave the rules selection open to more options. (Ex: A black templar successor that is less than adiquate, is tainted by chaos. Khorne specifically.) (I think I spelled adiquate wrong, but whatever.)
    Hey! Look at the little.... Oh ****!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x1)

Themes would mostly be about an army that has been been "off the grid" for many centuries and finally returns as a shadowy force that strikes from places the most believed to be impervious. as they have been gone for so long, most of the members have become full veterans of war, with wargear collected over thier long career.

i leave this fluff very general so that it can be customized to any race. this would fit marines, chaos marines, sneaky orks, eldar, dark eldar, but not really tau or imp guard due to their short life times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by xhivetyrantx View Post
    ... but not really tau or imp guard due to their short life times.
    Haha, the simple fact that you want elite close combat wasn't enough to disqualify them?

Back to topic, what do you really want to get out of this army? Most of the armies listed can pull off a hardened close combat build so you need to decide on some other things first:

How many models do you want to include?
    A small force will be easier to build (less to convert, less to buy and less of a time investment) but a larger force will be more impressive. This, of course, also depends on your points value.

How much do you want to win?
    Some units look cool but aren't that useful (I'm looking at you Sisters Repentia). What is more important to you? If you are willing to do a lot of conversions this may not matter as much as you could make dull units look more interesting (for instance reposing members of a marine tac squad)

Finally, and most important, which models do you like most
    Any way you look at it, you are about to make a large investment of time, money, and effort. You should choose models that inspire you.

Let me know what you think and I will cast my vote. Good luck on this though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mozznstein View Post
    Haha, the simple fact that you want elite close combat wasn't enough to disqualify them?

Back to topic, what do you really want to get out of this army? Most of the armies listed can pull off a hardened close combat build so you need to decide on some other things first:

How many models do you want to include?
    A small force will be easier to build (less to convert, less to buy and less of a time investment) but a larger force will be more impressive. This, of course, also depends on your points value.

i would probably like a smaller force than usual for the race, but still have a reasonable amount.

How much do you want to win?
    Some units look cool but aren't that useful (I'm looking at you Sisters Repentia). What is more important to you? If you are willing to do a lot of conversions this may not matter as much as you could make dull units look more interesting (for instance reposing members of a marine tac squad)

i already have an army i'm building for competitive so i'd like this to be friendly, not caring if they're good or not, but still having some useful upgrades on them (ex. if i did chaos, the general marine squads would not have both a heavy weapon, and power weapon as they cancel each other and no havocs with 4 different heavy weapons)

Finally, and most important, which models do you like most
    Any way you look at it, you are about to make a large investment of time, money, and effort. You should choose models that inspire you.

i'll list my favorite models from a few races (not including HQ's):

marines- veterans, any marine with lots of icons and detail, dreads
    chaos- all that armor trim is awesome, thousand sons, plague marines, and zerkers if i could reposition their feet.
    orks- lootas, burnas, mega armor nobs, anything with lots of equipment
    eldar- scorpions, fire dragons, reapers, and avengers
    inquistorial forces- grey knights, ordo maleus inquistors, sororitas tanks, grey knights, assassins, and did i say grey knights?
    tyranids- warriors, carnifex, lictors, raveners, stealers

mostly i like heavily armored looking models with lots of wargear on them and a ton of detail. Chaos has alot of that and so does grey knights, any veteran SM and most of the eldar with their unique armor. the only thing thats holding me back from eldar is that they are mostly metal and i would need alot of green stuff but i'm planning to use alot anyway. tyranids also appeal to me because they're huge, have big armored plates, and are just monsters. i love creatures like them along with daemon princes which i think is better than the hive tyrant model.

Let me know what you think and I will cast my vote. Good luck on this though.
    so you can see that i like lots of things about a few of the races and i keep going back and forth without stopping. eldar and inquistorial forces are like eye candy but have alot of metal models, which i hate. in this army i'd like to take the chance to make it all plastic and convert the models into plastic which is something i really want to do.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

I haven’t voted yet.
    But I think Daemons would make a lovely show case army.
    Easy to paint now thanks to the washes and foundation paints
    and air-brushes. Plus most of the models are pretty sweet.
    Just invest in a forge world greater daemon they are the bee knees.
    I’m currently looking forward to the release of plastic Plague Bearers.
    If they come out I’m doing a pure Nurgle army for sure.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

I voted 'nids because of the fact that they look cool, have big flxibility (again with looks) and the genestealers are realy elite looking.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

As for what you should do I nor anybody else can really help you decide, but I guess you knew that all along.
    But as far as your description goes two armies springs to my mind. They are both illegal as for tournamentplay, but it doesn't sound as this is what you're looking for anyway. They are also both from the Eye of Terror campaign. I'm talking about 13th company and the Lost and the Damned.
    Two armies with a huge showcase potential.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)