Squats - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Squats

I recently came across some old background on the squats (a dwarf 40k army) and was wondering if you guys knew anything about them i'm thinking of making a squa army using guard rules so just about anything about them would be useful.
    I already know their history but anything elase you know about them would be much appreciated.
    pics, old rules, background of individual units, equitment anything.
    thanks in advance

IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

The only bit I know about squats is that currently - they are nearly all wiped out - the nids ate them all.
    So I would expect a dwarf--- er squat army to be remnent now - hence whilst small more highly trained and more techy than normal
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Squat - Lexicanum
    Demiurg - Lexicanum
    Exo-armour - Lexicanum

If I were you, I'd make a Demiurg army, not a Squat one. Squats were kind of stupid. Dwarfs in Fantasy have a rich background, and they deserve a better transition than stocky bikers. Trikers, rather.

Demiurg are also relatively undeveloped, leaving a lot more room for creativity. I'd say a Marine list, or at the very least an IG list with Grey Knight allies would represent Dwarfs better in whatever form you choose, as Dwarfs are supposed to be tougher than humans, occur in smaller numbers, and have better equipment.

A recent page of the "Conversion of the Week" thread features Squats/Demiurg, requested by yours truly.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-week-105.html

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Malevon; August 25th, 2008 at 10:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Originally they were members of the Imperial Army. They were basically a guardsman squad with +1 toughness and possibly +1 Ld.

So Guard would be the best to represent them. Grey knight allies can represent the exosuits that they had.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    Originally they were members of the Imperial Army. They were basically a guardsman squad with +1 toughness and possibly +1 Ld.

So Guard would be the best to represent them. Grey knight allies can represent the exosuits that they had.
    In second edition squats had there own section in the rule book. Id say the best army to use as them would be a deathwing force, that way you can have some super exo armoured warriors and spend serious time converting them.

Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Thanks I was thinking about using guard to represent them with someGK allies for the exo armoured warriors, do any of you know how lasguns would mix with thunderers, also i'm worried about having to make flak armour over the squats bodiesas i've never used green stuff before and hardly ever convert, any tips would be appreciated, I've always loved dwarfs- they almost made me switch to warhammer or LOTR, also i'll be needing a lot of bases (damn true line of sight) to increase the height of the models. I measured with a ratling the closest sized thing to a dwarf i have to mount them on 2 bases and an upside down base in a pattern like this
    A
    V
    A
    if that makes any sense, and i'll need round bases too to make it even more fun 3 round bases for each guy that comes with 1 square one.
    this is what i have for my list structure so far.
    HQ
    Warlord Ancestor lord battle standard, and retune (Command Squad)
    weapons team (heavy and special weapons squads)
    Elites
    Tech-preists, squat engineers (tech preists)
    Exo Armoured Squad (GK termies)
    Troops
    squat warriors (Infantry Platoons)
    Fast Attack
    squat bikers (rough riders)
    Heavy Support
    weapons team (heavy weapons platoon)

Also some more questions.
    What are hearthguard, attack, and thunderer squads?
    Because of the engineer guildmasters would there be lots of master crafter weapons?
    Would they have any tanks?
    Doctrines?
    Drop troops to represent tunneling squads, would squats do this?
    And one last thing malevon I actually found out about squats by hitting random page at lexicanium and have read their articles on squats- thanks anyway.
    Last edited by kevin vanrooyen; August 25th, 2008 at 21:09.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Probably untrue but I had heard that Andy Chambers quit over fanboys harassing him about Squats.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I would strongly advise using at the very least a Marine list; the Deathwing suggestion was even better. Dwarfs are supposed to be hearty (I.E. tough) and technologically advanced. If you look at a Dwarf army in Fantasy, it is usually outnumbered but has higher quality troops.

If you used a Marine list, I would advise you to be heavy on Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammers, as well as Heavy Support like a Vindicator and the Thunderfire Cannon. The upcoming Master of the Forge with his Conversion Beamer would represent a Dwarf wonderfully.

Also, I'd avoid Scouts, Assault Marines (with Jump packs at least), and Land Speeders. These seem un-Dwarfy to me.
    Last edited by Malevon; August 26th, 2008 at 06:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought using IG stormtroopers or SoB would be a good representation

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Malevon View Post
    I would strongly advise using at the very least a Marine list; the Deathwing suggestion was even better. Dwarfs are supposed to be hearty (I.E. tough) and technologically advanced. If you look at a Dwarf army in Fantasy, it is usually outnumbered but has higher quality troops.

If you used a Marine list, I would advise you to be heavy on Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammers, as well as Heavy Support like a Vindicator and the Thunderfire Cannon. The upcoming Master of the Forge with his Conversion Beamer would represent a Dwarf wonderfully.

Also, I'd avoid Scouts, Assault Marines (with Jump packs at least), and Land Speeders. These seem un-Dwarfy to me.
    These are good ideas but I'd suggest that marine scouts would be a great idea! They're a troops choice so you can build a proper army without too much codex twisting. They're S4 T4 but only WS and BS 3, very squatty and with an appropriate armour save too. Then add thunderfires and termies as artillery and hearthguard, some whirlwinds as artillery tanks and drop-pods as termites and you're away. Scout bikers would even work as squat bikers!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast