Fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which army allows you to stay fluffy and optimise your lists?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ultramarines

1 1.49%
  • Blood Angels

0 0%
  • Dark Angels

0 0%
  • Black Templars

4 5.97%
  • Space Wolves

0 0%
  • Other Space Marine Chapter

0 0%
  • Chaos Space Marines

6 8.96%
  • Witch Hunters

4 5.97%
  • Demonhunters

1 1.49%
  • Dark Eldar

3 4.48%
  • Eldar

3 4.48%
  • Orks

12 17.91%
  • Imperial Guard

14 20.90%
  • Tau Empire

3 4.48%
  • Necrons

5 7.46%
  • Tyranids

7 10.45%
  • None - You can kick butt in a fluffy way!

4 5.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Fluff

Fluff

I think that in some ways fluff is the sticky stuff that keeps most people in the hobby. I don't know anyone who likes 40k but doesn't want to know anything about the background of the universe or the armies that they play. I think this is bourne out by the runaway success of the Horus Heresy series published by the Black Library. Even the name of the publisher is a reference to fluff. The stuff is everyhwere.

So it occurred to me that many people bemoan the gap between the fluff and the army lists. Most people will admit that these gaps are usually essential. If you made Grey Knights as dangerous as they are in the fluff then you would field one or two at 1500 points. Pointless

So that brings me to the reason for this thread. I am interested to know which army people think is easiest to play without being unfluffy. What army allows you to use the liest in the most effective way you can without feeling like you are cheating on the background you love. Pick your choice from the list and then drop a quick response below explaining why you made your choice!

May the most faithfull army win!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Well you didn't give us a list to choose from, but for me it is Orks and Imperial Guard. They are pretty true to their fluff on the table.

Space Marines are furthest from their fluff, as they should be way more powerful.
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Posted

I have posted the poll now. Though I need someone to add Chaos Demons to the list. I keep forgetting those guys...

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

To answer your question LatD is the fluffiest army there is.

But I care little for the 40k fluff. I have respect for the people that do like it.
    But for me itís kinda like a ball and chain I can do without.
    I like the setting of 40k, i.e. 38,000 years in the future were mankind is fighting
    a tide of alien and mutant horrors and is only just holding out.
    But I donít like the idea of the golden throne, of a million super humans capable of
    fighting for days on end. I donít really like the idea of the old ones or the cítan.
    But thatís just me. What G.W plonk into their version of 40k is fine because thatís
    not my version of 40k.
    In my version Mankind is not failing, itís failed. Earth was overrun
    and the last remnants of Humanity are dying out as I write this. The space marines, Humanities last defendersare all dead.
    The forces of Chaos run riot in the physical universe. Xenoís battle each other out of crazed bloodlustnow that Humanity is a distant memory.

In G.W 40k universe, the Emperor still offers hope to millions, the marines still hold back the tide of darkness. The xenoís still know to fear Humans.
    None of thatís bad. But I like my fantasy universes to be darker and scarier.

- Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

I have to ask

I have to ask. LatD? What's that? I am sure I have been told at some point in time but my memory fails me. The closest I can get is LotD, Legion of the Damned, but there official rules won't be out until the new codex lands so I thought I would leave them out of the Poll.

So the question stands, who or what are the LatD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

He means Lost and the Damned. Heretic scum. They aren't 100% official but damn cool.
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

I must say I'm a tad confused. Are we talking about which army lists stay true to the fluff i.e. do represent what said army does in the books/stories, or which army lists permit the creation of "optimized" i.e. very powerful lists that do not contradict the fluff.

Example for pt 1: space marines are not fluffy, because their stats should be more powerful than what we see
    Example for pt 2: a chaos army led by slaanesh characters but without a single unit w/ mark of slaanesh is not fluffy.

When it comes to 2, it's very hard to define. For example, a IG armored company is MORE fluffy than an IG infantry company with 1-2 leman russes in support, as armored companies generally don't spread amongst infantry. However, demolishers in infantry lists are fluffy, as they're close support vehicles generally part of the command structure of an infantry regiment.

Orks are probably amongst the most flexible armies in this regard, as are eldar.
    SM are amongst the worse: fluff generally implies that each company leads its own campaign separately, or even when several companies fight on the same theater, they're not likely to be mixed together. Hence, an army with regular marines (2-4th company)+ terminators (1st) and scouts (10th) makes little sense.
    That's the funny thing with marines: the codex astartes is actually a very poor strategic/organisational book, as combined arms have proved time and again their efficiency. That's what the 2-4th companies are about, and I won't argue the need for a powerful battering ram such as the 1st company, but the codex astartes doesn't seem to make it flexible.

and:
    But I like my fantasy universes to be darker and scarier.
    If humanity is already dead, then it's not scary anymore.....
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

That would be number two

The answer to your question is that number two is the correct appraisal of my point.

Your discussion of the IG and SM issues shows that while hard to quantify there is plenty of opinion about this. I don't think any one person is likely to know so I thought that a poll and some forum research about how the residents of LO feel about this would be quite productive.

I think a lot of people feel more comfortable playing within the fluff so I was interested to know where that would lead people. I have to admit that I have some expectations but I don't want to reveal those until later for fear of influencing the thread.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    and:
    If humanity is already dead, then it's not scary anymore.....

How is that?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post

SM are amongst the worse: fluff generally implies that each company leads its own campaign separately, or even when several companies fight on the same theater, they're not likely to be mixed together. Hence, an army with regular marines (2-4th company)+ terminators (1st) and scouts (10th) makes little sense. .....
    The codex astartes is actually pretty flexible, 1st comapny is the most tactically flexible, and units from the 1st and 10th are normally assigned piecemeal to other forces on an as-required basis, the 1st is rarely if ever deployed en-masse, certainly not the 10th as then there is no way that the scouts would be deployed without their PA brethren

And Imperial Guard forces are actually fluffy, if we use the early WWII model of deployment that the French and the British used, with small squadrons of tanks supporting infantry advances. They are also representative of a small section of the battlefield, even if deployed en-masse, it is doubtful an armoured company could or would reach the battlefield in one coordinated move , or may be thinned to provide fire support across a broader front. This is also reminiscent of holding back the German push at the battle of the bulge, or the use of Japanese light tanks during their successful campaign through the forests of Singapore to outflank the British.

Armoured companies represent those spearheads where a concentrated armoured force i trying to establish a line-break, and is more akin to modern open-battlefield warfare - such as that in the deserts of Iraq or the battles around El Alamein.
    And infantry certainly didn't fight from their transports, only rarely did they have access to IFVs like the Chimera, even today, these vehicles are not generally considered capable of frontline battlefield roles (even BMP-2, Warrior and Bradley are "lightweight" compared to fully fledged MBTs like teh Leopard II, Abrams, Challenger or T90)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. Fluff
    Pingback This thread
    August 29th, 2008, 14:26