Recycling The Warhammer Way - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recycling The Warhammer Way

Hey everyone,

Has anyone besides me every wondered, wow thats alot of plastic on that sprue I just threw away those could have been molded into other mini's!. For now I usually take my sprue and cut them up finely with a knife and make movement trays with them. Some cardboard from a mini box on the bottom, and your set!

I think gamesworkshop should open a recycling center! Collect your sprue's and bring them into your local store, weigh them, and maybe some store credit? I'm sure thats just to good to be true, and im sure it costs them alot of money to begin the whole process. But one can dream right?

Any other cool idea's with not waisting sprue besides movement trays and converting?

Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I have an ice cream container.

When I can be bothered (ie, when I last saw Halley's Comet hit earth), I cut up my sprues, and place them in the ice cream container.

For what purpose do I use them? They make excellent rubble (for terrain, the little that I make, and basing). Goes nicely with CoD, and saves my $24 or however much GW charges for that stuff.

Otherwise, it's movement trays and converting. I consider myself an excellent* plastic surgeon now.

*OK, so maybe, just maybe, I used that word a little loosely.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is, plastic is worth next to nothing as $-wise - to the point that it will cost more in petrol for you to drive to your nearest GW that they paid for the plastic in the first place.

Think how about how often plastic gets thrown away, not even in things like drink bottles, but even inserts / cases etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Is

Is the platic GW use thermosetting plastic? Can you melt it and remold it? If you can then I suppose you could keep your sprues and then make some basic bits and pieces by pouring the stuff.

So does anyone know? Does it melt or burn?

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

well you could take a train or a buss or something...
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

If you are going to GW anyway, you cpuld encourage them to do this. It would have to be "virgin" stuff though, as otherwise the plastic could contaminate existing batches. It all depends on weight I suppose - maybe a kilo of sprue might be worth a few bucks/pounds. It just needs to get ground, converted to pellets and then re-injection moulded by GW to make new minis. Imagine if the sprue was spray-painted for some reason?

Alternatively, GW should look at means of reducing the sprue content of their models, e.g. by having more components on single sprues.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

I have already asked my local G.W about this issue.
    They are happy to take the left over sprues off your hands.
    They wonít give you any money for it but they re-use the plastic for slot bases.
    So if youíre going there anyway is a good idea to take them with you.

And I donít really see why they should give you any money for your trouble.
    Coke cola donít give me anything for recycling my cans so why would G.W?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Depends on scale - if you recycled a 1000 cans a week, you then might well get $10-15 to do this, by a primary user of the aluminium.
    GW are primary users of polystyrene chps for their injection moulding business, and as such should encourage recycling of the stock plastic....

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

I watched a TV show not long ago about a guy who tried collecting and recycling
    old pop cans for a job. The guy collected about 800 old cokes off the floor, out of bins, anyway he could. He walked the streets of London for 24 hours straight, and in the end earned himself £5.

People should recycle because itís the right thing to do. Not because it pays.
    We have one planet and itís been choked to death on the tons of crap that we throw
    away every day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Does it melt or burn?
    If held over a candle or a match it deforms a bit, blackens and starts to burn after a few seconds and continues to burn without an external source once it's lit.
    Then I stopped the experiment and dunked the sprue part in a cup of water.

So it burns. I dunno what it does if the temperature would be provided without direct flame contact.
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast