My first Games Night at GW Cardiff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

My first Games Night at GW Cardiff

Hello all,

Just thought I'd post to share my thoughts and feelings about my first ever game of 40K, which is also my first ever tabletop game period...

I plucked up the courage to go to GW in Cardiff - I say this as, despite being a strapping chap, I know next to nothing about how to play the games, and amid the crowd were several hardcore players.

Luckily for me however, I managed to find a group of guys who seemed to just be there for the fun of it and one of them was willing to give me a game.

I debuted my Iron Tigers with virtually no clue what I was doing against a Dark Eldar force. On lending a squad of terminators to take my list up to 750 points, I set upon royally messing a lot of stuff up haha...I lost my commander to a dark lance shot straight away, then my tactical squad came crashing down, before my Terminators made a stand and defended my objective until the last turn, when they were overwhelmed.

Meanwhile my scouts made a bee-line for the Dark Eldar objective and the by some magic, my scout sergeant smashed an entire squad of Dark Eldar and held the objective to the end.

Alas I managed to draw my first ever game, and was quite happy with the result...

Just want to say a big thanks to the guys who let me join in, despite knowing hardly anything...Really need to get my hands on a rule book haha....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Sounds like a good time- it was VERY lucky of you to find helpful people hanging around in a GW store. Usually it's just SMurfs and the assorted Red Shirt.

Excellent work on the Draw as well. My first game of 40K was a pitch, the guy giving me the game pretty much HAD to lose, so that I "wouldn't be discouraged". I now help give demos at that shop, and I think that one of the best things to teach a new gamer is that it's not a walk in the park. You'll get better though- a draw on your first game is quite promising.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

from reading everyone elses experiences with people and staff at GW i'm starting to think my local GW very rare in the sense that everyone is helpfull nice and gets along. Hah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Congrats on your first game! It is rare to find a dark eldar player and on your first game it's to be expected that you didn't annihilate him. The human races are easy to prepare for in terms of knowing what they can do, but the aliens are a bit tricky and dark eldar are tricky beyond all the rest... I'm glad you enjoyed your first game and may all your games be as fun.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

If you ever have any troubles with GW Cardiff you should try the one in Newport. Pretty much everyone down there (including most during touneys) is just up for a laugh.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

It's always encouraging to hear a positive report like this, people often post complaints about fellow gamers but it's rare that people think to give praise.

It sounds like you definitely had a good first game, full of the exciting moments that make 40k so fun! Sounds like you need a command squad to act as shields for your commander though!

But as people have already said a draw was a great first result, especially against tricksy Dark Eldar!

I have to mention as well that my local GW (Durham) is brilliant, the staff are always willing to help out and they deserve nothing but praise IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll put another hand up for Newport GW, all the guys in there are off their heads. One just opened in Hereford aswell, yet to pay it a visit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Might try and make it to GW Newport one night then...As an addition, I went back to the store a few days ago as i'm off work at the moment, waiting for my new job to start. I explained I'd been down on a Tuesday, then got the rulebook etc, and asked if I could play a game there and then to see how much I had picked up...

Happily the guys were only too happy to show me, and give me plenty of tips, like firing a flamer and a missile launcher first, then the boltguns ;-). So another big up for them haha...

+ Reply to Thread