Brothers and Sisters, I Have Embraced the Light! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brothers and Sisters, I Have Embraced the Light!

I just don't have it in me to be evil any more.

A Dark Elf player since 3rd Edition, I just don't feel motivated to be the bad guys. I find much more satisfaction in playing on the side of the angels.

I know that Warhammer is all about shades of grey, and no faction is whiter than white, but I find it much nicer to win a game and say "Yay, I win! The village is saved!" rather than "Yay! I win! Now I get to slaughter the villagers and make interesting garments out of their skins!"

Glorious charges, heroic last stands: these are the things that stir me nowadays.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is there any hope of recovery? What is the cause? Is it because I am no longer a carefree youth and I have realised that there is enough horror in the real world without me adding to it in a fantasy world, or have I lost the necessary detachment to play a cinematic-style bad guy?

Opinions guys?

Last edited by Spoik; November 13th, 2008 at 23:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I always wanted to create a chaos army but something always stops me. I have had numerous guard armies and each one ive said yup gna be chaos and no they turned out good.
    Adding to that I have no luck with my blood pact in necromunda I actually felt happy they lost think I may be going the same way! Orks is as evil as I can handle now.

interesting question IMO

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

I never really thought about it like that! I've always been more interested in the baddies, but playing the good guys, especially in Helms-Deep situations would be quite satisfying.

Then again, every Blue Space Marine army I see makes me want to redress the balance with mmmmmCHAOS.
    Montyhaul's Models[/size][/indent]
    Warhammer minis for sale[/size][/indent]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy nothing more than seeing my ghouls swarm and kill men trying to stand for a cause, BAH! Eat them alive I say. The light is dim, if anything it is dark my friend. Your army shall relize this one day when they meet the undead face to face and there true fears come out to haunt them for eternity.
    Last edited by VampireCountsFTW; November 13th, 2008 at 23:35.
    Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I play vamp counts in WFB because zombies are cool Which turns out nicely because most of my friends are "good guys"

In 40k I tend to fall on the good guy side, with eldar, tanith, tau and space marine armies, although my space marines can double for chaos (have emperor's children colors) and either chaos or tyranids would be the other army I'd collect if I found the time to finish my armies now (almost there! only 68 more guardsmen to convert!)
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefare being the good guy personally ( empire, wood elves, brettonia. )
    but do like being the bad guy every so often (dark elves.)
    Wood elf player- 2000 points worth, Autumn theme
    Empire player - 3000 points worth, Green and white
    Eldar player - 1500 points worth, Blue and white

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Go fight for whoever you want, but if you drag your traitorous *** back to Ulthuan...

no, just kidding

I had the opposite reaction really. I played the pretty, clean armies (high elves) and stayed away from the darker, I even avoided 40K because it was so gothic. However, stuff happened in my life, and I came to embrace those shades of gray, and am now a happy 40K player, Chaos player, and Vampire fanatic.

Obviously, you don't have quite the same moral opposition to "switching sides" (unless of course your family are satanists), so switching sides for you actually looks like a good move. One thing you might notice is a brighter outlook on life in general, as you're no longer hearing about the world ending or the screams of a million dying mortals.

Either way, you should game with what appeals to you, or in 6months you'll be back on the boards with another one of those "losing interest in warhammer" threads.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Montyhaul View Post

Then again, every Blue Space Marine army I see makes me want to redress the balance with mmmmmCHAOS.
    I'm pretty sure theres alot more chaos players (or atleast getting really close too it) than ultramarine players, chaos are the new space marines.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

You do raise quite an interesting point.

See, I started this hobby with a Tau army (which is now long-neglected under the couch, though that's another story...) because... well, because I liked the look of the army, and because I liked their style of combat. They seem (although of course it's still debatable) to be one of the more honourable and rational races.

When I went into WHFB I decided I wanted a darker, 'evil' army as an opposite to the Tau. I eventually went with Vampire Counts, but when I worked on the background it didn't really turn out to be an 'evil' army. The characters in the army are sort of forced in to their position, and the leader's only real interest is on furthering her knowledge of Vampirism and Magic. As long as no-one bothers her, she generally keeps out of people's way.

A lot of my backgrounds (and just general story concepts) end up like this; even if they're representing an 'evil' force, the leader is honourable and reasonable. Maybe I just don't have it in me to be properly evil, and never really have!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

I find the darker side of things to be a lot more interesting than the various goody goody army types out there. Playing the bad guy has a certain sense of dark aesthetic to it especially if you put the effort into creating a good background for your arch-fiend so to speak.

JvK
    Last edited by Jared van Kell; November 14th, 2008 at 04:30.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast