Librarium Online Forums banner

40k vs fb

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Deadstar_MRC 
#1 ·
right... a while ago, when i didnt have a 40k army yet, i was talking with a 40k player, he had chaos space marines, and he was boasting like "yeah and my terminator squad would obliterate your whole army blabla"

this got me kind of ticked off...
it got me wondering though, what would happen (you think) if you put a FB army against a 40k army? :soldier:

#2 ·
Most likely, the superior fire power of the 40k Army would massively hurt the fantasy army while the magic phase would be so un fun for the 40k player.

In all honesty, as a player and admirer of both games (though 40k has my heart), I think it would be a tie. The game systems would go out for a beer and then beat up on their ugly cousin, LotR ;)

#3 ·
Well, it depends on how the armies are set up and which set of rules you use.... for example - an armor heavy 40k army would be nearly impossible for Fantasy to deal with. Strength values just don't get high enough. A strong unit in Fantasy will have 5 or 6 strength - enough to kill a rhino if you're lucky. On the other hand, you can get dwarves and empire knights with 1+ or lower armor saves... so let's hope the 40k player brings lots of power weapons...

Fluffwise - I think 40k would win. But fluffwise, you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who can take on a Space Marine.

#4 ·
yeah, the rules don't quite match up... I enjoy both game systems... I like to believe that both would tie, however in reality the fantasy army would probably be beaten most of the time. Arrows just don't beat guns :'(... Someone above said that armoured vehicles would prove difficult, this is very true... A landraider would be nigh invulnerable for example.

Just imagine a tomb kings army trying to take on a necron army... I'm a fan of both armies, but i like to think robot skeletens would beat regulars any day ;)

#5 ·
GW at one point put forth some weird system that basically says "what if some ship crash landed on some feral planet where [WHFB] exists, and tried to take over?" Essentially you could get Chaos Knights wielding storm-bolters vs. elves with powerswords and Brettonian peasants with lasguns. Of course, such "technology" came as high pts powerups and whatnots, but the concept was there and quite flawed.

However, there is one things which fantasy has going for it: model count
I don't mean that the 40K weapons and rules and models could not handle the large number of models in the fantasy army, but rather, the fantasy rules focus largely upon the elimination of LARGE numbers of models. Our spells can cause 3D6 wounds and whatnot, and make things generally quite nasty for 40K armies who are typically about 50-100 models, and have unit caps of 10.

Furthermore, if the Fantasy rules were used, 40K armies would actually be obliterated in combat. Sure, those Chosen Terminators with powerweapons could kill a good many models, but as they are not ranked up, they are skirmishers and to not get a rank bonus, nor do they carry banners, and their armor's protection is decreased according to the strength of the models hitting them.
On a rules front, bringing a 40K model to a fantasy field is just plain idiocy.

On a fluff scale, it is quite the opposite. A .75mm explosive-tipped bolter shell would easily walk through several ranks of armor-plated chaos knights. It is stated in the gaurd book that feral platemail is essentially the equivalent of Imperial Gaurd 'Carapace' armor. That's a 4+ in 40K world.
Arguments of this nature just irritate the hell out of me, because it stems from a basic immaturity of the players. It goes back to schoolyard bickering involving "my daddy is stronger than your daddy", to which I always replied "so- i'm going to beat you senseless before your daddy gets here".
If you want to see who the better player is, play a game of 40K, and then play a game of FB, using FB rules. I promise that the Fantasy player will prove proficient in 40K 75% of the time, whereas the 40K player will often find himself horribly outclassed on the fantasy field. Not making generalizations, this is just what I've noted from personal experience.

#6 ·
You know me and my friend were actually talking about this the other day... We were discussing the Chaos Knights from fantasy... And then we started talking about a squad of vanguard vet's against them... And honestly we decided it would come down to who got the charge... Really if you think about it ... the characteristics are much the same.

However if you are going by fluff... then in all likely hood 40k would simply crush Fantasy

I mean fluff wise we are talking about 2 termies that can hold there own against wave after wave of nids...

#7 ·
There is one advantage we (i.e. Fantasy) has... Magic!

How many 40K armies have magic? Make a magic heavy build and let loose on the enemy with some of those 2D6 no armour save magic missiles... You wouldn't even have to bother with close combat!

On the other hand, give some of the Fantasy armies a theoretical 40,000 years of evolution and scientific discovery, and then see how the two forces stack up!

You just can't compare the two, really. But I might be a little biased towards Fantasy...

#8 ·
yea but dead... you could do the same with 40k, I mean lets just say a a chaos sorceror runs up to your high elf on dragon and then boom... your high elf becomes a chaos spawn... I think that really it just depends on the army and the units you take...

Could you imagine a 10orc nob squad being led by Thraka not winning in combat versus anything in the fantasy realm?

I think that really it just all boils down to how you decide to base your argument... if the fantasy army used its rules and the 40k army used its rules then I think it would be quite rightly a draw...

of course then guard come in and drop 3 pie plates on your fantasy army and in the first turn you lose upwards of 30-50 models...

It really just depends on the armies... You cant really compare it on a broad scale... because that same guard army would be crushed the second your unit of grail knights hits them...

#17 ·
you could do the same with 40k (regarding the magic abilities of various armies)
I know 40K does have an element of magic (sorcery, at least) involved in it, but it's much less prevalent and normally happens within the other army phases (moving, shooting, what have you.)

Whereas in Fantasy you have a whole separate phase where you can use your magic, and theoretically, your 40K opponent would be able to do nothing...

But I guess when it rolled round to the shooting phase there could be trouble.

Which brings it back to the ruleset you use. 40k armies will likely always have an advantage in the shooting phase, as most units carry a gun of some kind. But a heavy cavalry Fantasy army would at the very least hold is own in assaults, especially on the charge. And then you have a magic phase which one army can utilise and one can't...

If you wanted a fair contest, you'd have to tweak the rules a little. Definately. But I still don't know who would come out on top.

#9 ·
........................orbital bombardment.

Failling that if its just ground war - Titan.
And failing that machin gun - did any of you read what happened when the Polish lancers charged Germans armed with machine guns? It was a slaugher of the lancers. Now up the scale to bolters, powerfists and armour so thick that a lance could not penetrate it and there is no hope for fantasy to beat 40K - even the magic phase would be hard since magic is a form of psychic power ;)

Rule wise there might be some hope for fantasy but it would make so little sense as to be meaningless.

#11 ·
What I found interesting was when Daemons came out, there was a codex AND an army book. No, I'm not surprised, but it almost seemed like GW wanted an army that could span both game systems. Sure, there's warriors of chaos and chaos marines, but those are still two pretty distinctly different armies, at least from a fluff perspective.

Now, Daemons, well, it's conceivable that an army (or leader of an army) of daemons could survive enough battles in the WHFB days to make it to the 41st millenium, and that an army of Space Marines could be fighting the same crew that bested the best the empire, elves, dwarfs, etc. could muster.

#12 ·
40k vs Fantasy

well i started playing fantasy about 6yrs ago and i have a 6000pts orc army a 1500pt empire army and just recently started collecting 40k and fantasy choas. Me and a friend who does tau and woodelves do these things called old vs new battles.
to make a long story short fantasy orcs smoke IG

#13 ·
Me and friends always have this discussion about 40k vs Fantasy.. in the end, the conclusion is Fantasy will always win if the game is played using Fantasy rule.

Armour 14 Landraiders can be easily brought down by a S10 great cannon because you dont need to roll to hit, it's all part of a guess range and an experienced player will always get the shot to hit 99% of the time. Terminators can be killed by any cavalry with a lance charge, with the modifier of -3 (S6) to their armor save it's like forcing them to use their invulnerable save. Also, 40k dont have anything called a Ward Save, Fantasy has 2 different saves that can be used at the sametime. Fantasy army will always win in combats due to combat resolution against "skirmirsher" style 40k armies.. :D Not to mention magic phase will ravage any 40k army... Pit of Shade?

#14 · (Edited)
Fantasy PWNS 40k just for the simple fact theres more to the game. I like playing 40k dont get my wrong, but when im not really my 100% self. When I want to think, I play fantasy. Overall though fantasy for the win. Ive seen at least 10 of these threads in my lib days, so theres no way this discution will ever die out.

#15 ·
no sgt. opened a very deep tomp that leads into a cave with this topic... but as long as it stays friendly it is a good discusion.... and I am still saying that (oh god if you use fantasy rules) then a 10 man meganob squad led by thraka will eat an entire fantasy army in about 3 turns....

magic or no magic....

#16 · (Edited)
They are two different games, with different stats. It just doesnt work like that, but I would HOPE a unit of 40k models could win against fantasy models. Still doesnt make the game better than fantasy though :) I dont really understand how you would simulate a fantasy vs 40k game though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.