WHFB Help me figure what Army to decide to complete or build - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -52 (x0)

Help me figure what Army to decide to complete or build

This is checked on the current army lists/books as current
    The dark elf and chaos are both already including the wargear and command cost upgrades, the empire does not:

Happy Holidays:

So its that time of year again, and I figured I'd see how you are doing and let you see a few army lists I was working with. Anyhow, I'm limiting myself to under 230.00 for the entire expedition: here goes... Its my birthday, which is why I'm doing this:

A scratch built empire army at 212 roughly weighing in at 2100 pts without upgrades and banners and wargear:

It basically consists of combining the empire army and a battleforce, as well as what I have currently into a force:
    Empire General 50
    Empire Standard 50
    Grey Wizard L.2 100
    Core
    20 Crossbow, with full command 176
    20 Swordsmen state troops with full command 145
    10 outriders 235
    8 knights of white wolf 224
    20 Flagellants 210
    Rocket battery 115
    12 handgunners with full command 124
    16 spears, full command 120
    1 hero on horse 50
    10 crossbow 88
    10 swords 85
    8 knights 224
    Cannon 100
    Cannon 100
    Mounted Wizard 100
    Total pre upgrading 2100, estimated after 2300-2400.

Now, you are aware that I have a considerable amount of chaos and dark elf material, I could add a battleforce per side, in addition to some conversion auxillary units:

Dark Elf Additions
    20 Corsairs
    28 Warriors (14 and 14 crossbow and spear exclusively w/shied)
    5 Cold ones
    This would be added to the currently existing
    Lord on cold one
    sorceress
    Maticore Master
    16 spear
    16 city guard (mixed spear and crossbow, I'd convert these)
    5 cold ones (orig)
    roughly 13 corsairs (these will be evened out to a round 15-20)
    6 witch elves w/ cauldron
    Bolt chucker
    chariot
    Assassin

My current chaos materials consist of
    1 lord
    1 sorcerer
    3 units of 12 warriors

I would add a battleforce consisting of
    12 Warriors
    5 Knights
    20 Maurader
    10 Hounds
    also, possibly, I'd add 5 maurader horse,

Demonettes may be purchased to proxy as witch elves or well.. witches,
    Alternately, more chaos knights

The Dark elf total army will go to 3352
    Chaos Total would rise to 2238

A caveat to these lists is the following:

I've never really built an empire army for fantasy, and am not sure as to colors, scheme, etc. I've done IG forever though, and I'm not exactly certain If I'd want to basically play IG in WHF as well as WH40. My idea thus far is: a shadow grey and blue quartered pattern on the livery with silver metals mostly. The army would likely hail from Middenheim, alternately, a purple themed army, out of nuln. I know that I don't want to play a gunline mostly, except the cannons.

I've had half a chaos and half a DE army for YEARS, but have never used them in an actual game. I've got some Idea of how to play them however. It seems theyd be very much like chaos on 40K or eldar which I HAVE played, and kill with a lot. Colors here would likely be purplish and blueish in cloths, I'd like to do a combination tzeench and slanesh, since I've been playing khorne and nurgle for a LONG time.

On an alternate, I'd also buy 3 skaven battallions at a total of 120 warriors 60 plague monks 9 rat ogres, and like 12 giant rats... but I'm really not certain that I want to paint THAT much fur.

Thoughts? Quickness would be appreciated.

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Those all sound like solid plans. I play Skaven and DE so I'm partial to them, I have no experience with Empire and little with WoC.

The DE would do well with more bolt throwers and witch elves or you could leave them out and the list works fine.

3 Battalions is a solid start for Skaven, you can convert Plague Monks into Stormvermin, slaves, and PCBs if you need to and you could make Night/Gutter Runners out of mixing Clanrats and Monks. Rat Ogres are mediocre at best, but you can use them for unit filler if you need to. All you'd need after that are some characters and you're all set.

Chaos looks good, a tad heavy on the Warriors by otherwise fine. All you need is another Sorc and you'll be all set.

I say go with the army you'll enjoy painting and playing the most. I know it's cliche but it works
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -52 (x0)

Thanks for the reply me,

I've thought of skaven, I have several character models that I got when I was under 10, including (somewhere in my moms house) a verminlord demon, a deathmaster snicht, a pair of warlord queek (in an 8 year old's paintjob), a grey seer thanquol and bone ripper, as well as assorted metals, ranging from the original gutter runner models and storm vermin... also, lots of rat bases... lol. I was eight, and those were the days of hero hammer.

Oh, I also have some sort of plague rat with a book and a big scepter/flail/censor, not sure who he is though.

I've painted a 200+ man IG army, so I'm no stranger to repetition, but much like IG, skaven have leadersip problems and that "die by the bucket" type of play that makes for fun, and frustration on the table. What are your thoughts to that? I've heard quite horrid things about night runners.
    "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Verminlords are out in the latest book, but we're hoping they make a comeback with the next book (due in '09 if rumors are to be believed).

Snikch could be a normal assassin as his rules aren't in the book either. Same goes for Queek. Thanquol's good to go though, he's actually quite good.

The Plague rat works as a plague priest (hero level Pestilens bugger).

Skaven are a blast to play (literally). I've had the most fun when I'm shooting into combat slaughtering ==My== own troops or having all the war machines misfire and do more damage to friendlies than the enemy. When they work, they are amazing, when things go south expect a very explosive finale.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread