WHFB I feel discouraged to start a fantasy army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel discouraged to start a fantasy army.

Hi

I feel rather discouraged to start a fantasy army, for starters basically 65% of the gaming community plays 40k which means its harder to find a willing opponent for fantasy. Plus since 70% of our gamers at our hobby store are under 18 basically all of them do 40k for some reason .

Another thing is that 90% of the people that play fantasy play lizardmen at our hobby store which is rather annoying for me.

Do you feel a bit discouraged to start a fantasy army sometimes?

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it comes down to one thing. That one thing is my loyalty to all things fantasy. So i ask you, Dark Sun, do you have the loyalty to be of fantastical stature? Warhammer brings to life the feeling of different races very similarily to 40K but, the play style in my opinion is much different. Imagine it like this, 40k is like being a commander in a squadron, while Warhammer fantasy is more like being a general giving commands to your army.
    Do you want to be a petty commander?
    Or do you want to be a monstrous general of hundreds of blocked fierce warriors waiting for your command?

Basically, what I am trying to say is, if you have the passion for fantasy themes and the warhammer playstyle, then don't let things like popularity, army choice, or age ( seeing as your twelve it shouldn't be a big deal anyway.) I'm sure you've heard this before but, why not be the leader of the pack instead of following it!

P.S.- I can see why they would all play lizardmen, they are the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Be a trendsetter. Make a good looking Fantasy and try to draw some new players in. Worst case scenario you'll have a pretty army to display until you can find some sympathetic gamers.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's the models, IMO they're ugly, i briefly got into Tomb Kings till i saw skeleton horses, they look ridiculous, skeleton humans riding skeleton horses, how about skeleton cows eating grass in a meadow? Also, i thought TK were being based on Ancient Egypt, why no camels?

I'd recommend finding someone who plays something other than Lizard men ( i look at Lizard men and immediately think Kroot look better) befriending this individual, and playing with them regularly, you could even convert a fellow 40k player to start fantasy with you, you could both learn the rules together.

I hear Lizard men are a great beginner's army for Fantasy, they also have a re-release coming up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny in my area there arn't many lizardmen players!

Though I play 40k and am about to expand into Fb, but it's not daunting because I know that if I build them I'll find someone to play.

So just go for it and see what happens!
    Last edited by thekinetic; December 6th, 2008 at 21:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess your right, but now im having the daunting task of choosing an army, Im deciding between the...

*High Elves: Good side they have lots of models that all look pretty cool, down side to me the High Elves seem sorta full of themselves in the fluff and the spearmen have plate armour dresses >.>

*Orge Kingdoms: I love the models, I love the idea, but I dont want to have an army of big obese monsters that will encourage overweight gamers. [joking]

*Wood Elves: Great only thing is the only models I like are : Orion king of the woods, Waywatcher Lord, Glade Guard, Dryads and the Eturnal Guard.

*Lizardmen: Good, but I dont like dinosaurs, their the most popular fantasy army at our gaming club plus their codex is due to be released soon. [drools over new stegadon]

So ya, some might say im picky but thats how I look at it.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Sun, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your local store the Miranda Games Workshop? That's the same as my own local store, and I'm up there a few times a week at the least.

First things first, Fantasy is in no way less popular then Warhammer 40k. Each Games Workshop tends to have a player base that prefers one game over another, Miranda leans a little more towards 40k just because it has more people interested in playing with guns instead of spells and swords. The staff try to encourage everything really, it's just up the the people who come in and play to decide what they want to play.

As for Fantasy Armies, well, I think I know one of the Lizardmen players you mentioned, but I've seen a bit of variety in-store myself. There's a lad with a fairly large Beasts of Chaos force, and another with a truly number crunching Dark Elf army that, well, best way to have a fun game against him is to not play on the other side from him.

I have a Vampire Counts force slowly building up myself, and of course I've a pile of the new Warriors of Chaos [which I thought would be a little more popular just from the look of the models...]. If your not sure, go in-store and ask if they can run you through how some of the different armies work, show you some of the models people have painted up and all that jazz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really Blind? I thought I never knew it was that close. Last weekend when I went in on the painting table all 40k, gaming tables all 40k. Anywho I guess I should start a fantasy army theres nothing to lose and it shall be fun!!!

PS. Yes I do go to the Miranda GW, but I havnt been up there for like 2 months. Im only 12 and Im like really really short, so look out for me. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Steve View Post
    For me it's the models, IMO they're ugly, i briefly got into Tomb Kings till i saw skeleton horses, they look ridiculous, skeleton humans riding skeleton horses, how about skeleton cows eating grass in a meadow? Also, i thought TK were being based on Ancient Egypt, why no camels?
    Think. How do you think a skeletal camel would look?

Also, the TK cavalry sucks, anyway, so you're unlikely to actually field any skeletons riding skeleton horses, with the possible exception of a Liche Priest. I hate the skeletal horses, too, so the only ones in my army pull chariots, which doesn't look that bad. Deciding not to play TK because the horses are ugly is like deciding not to play Skaven because the slave models are so expensive.
    No.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tutankhankh has it right, most undead armies [be it Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings] will make a basis of large infantry blocks. A big difference however is that whilst Tomb King Cavalry isn't the best in the game [they're fast cavalry isn't bad for it's cost], they have access to excessive Chariots. It's a great sight, your foe having a single chariot and a few cavalry units, your own side of the board having some 3 magic casters and a dozen+ chariots all lined up in a row.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Tomb Kings [and what I would lean towards if I were to pick them up, I've considered it in the past] is their magic. In a word, you can describe it as 'relentless'. Most armies will potentially cast 2-3 spells a turn in mid sized games, one or two more in larger ones. Tomb Kings? You'll often cast 4-5 spells. That's not potentially cast, or may cast, but will cast. Your spells go off, and your opponent tries to work out which ones to dispell that turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast