Pro painted! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro painted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Pro painted!

As I peer around eBay, looking for suitable models I could use for scenery purposes (in this case, a Tau vehicle I can turn into a wreck for painting and modifying purposes, given how I haven't had practice in doing battle wear or modding, and I think the many flat surfaces on the Tau vehicles (and XV8s for that matter) are a bit dull, but that's something I'll worry about later on), I can't help but notice that almost everything with a dab of paint on it has apparently been done by a pro.

Supposedly.

Hey, I suppose post modernism might've crept into Warhammer 40k, and yet still, I can't help but look at the majority of "ProPainted" models on offer in eBay, and wonder why would I want to pay -more- than GW prices for the "privilege" of blinding my eyes by the hideous neon colours as I hastily dump it in paint stripper? Yes, there are a few models on eBay that are actually professionally done, and some that look awful, yet I have a sneaking suspicion it just might be because of the camera work, and sometimes I come across beauties like this high standard model...

...oh sure, the Krootox can be considered acceptable (though I'd still rather assemble my own and do my own grey washes), but then the professional here learned about the myth of complimentary colours in art class and decided that what the Krootox needs on his shoulders is a counterfeit Green Goblin.

Why can't these guys seem to admit that their model is probably better off sold stripped? Could it be that my eye is too critical, and what I consider a shoddy job is infact fairly professional?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

There is that one company, what is it like Neck Ache Painting or something, they do really decent models from what I have seen.

Otherwise most of the "Pro-painted" stuff is amateurs who have probably never even seen an airbrush first hand.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

"Professional" just means they got paid to do it! If I paint my minis and sell them as such, check it out, I'm a professional painter now. You can use a company like blue table and get the very basic 3 color package and it's a pro-painted army.

That kroot model looks professional to me. All of the parts are shaded and highlighted, it's cleanly assembled and decently based. While you may have an advanced understanding of color theory and hold legitimate contempt for the highschool color wheel approach to color, I would say that probably does mean yes, your standards are rather high

Dunno what things are like in your area/store, around here many armies are solid colors with maybe a little bit of citadel wash if you're lucky! Not uncommon to see entire armies with not a single mold line trimmed off!

An actual professional, someone who's trying to turn a buck painting minis, has to balance the amount of time put into one with the potential resale value. A mini I spend 12 hrs on will in no one's imagination sell for 6 times more than one I spend two hours on. The market for them just isn't like that. If the real gripe is just that sellers try to trick you into associating 'pro-painted' with 'well painted' or 'master painted', well, that's just marketing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

I am more griping over the lack of easy buys on ebay than worrying over being sold shoddy paint jobs.

But, I suppose perhaps I am being to harsh. (It is this harshness that keeps me from being all too enthusiatic in painting my own models.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    Not uncommon to see entire armies with not a single mold line trimmed off!
    *cough* Guilty... unless it's really noticeable.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    ...oh sure, the Krootox can be considered acceptable (though I'd still rather assemble my own and do my own grey washes), but then the professional here learned about the myth of complimentary colours in art class and decided that what the Krootox needs on his shoulders is a counterfeit Green Goblin.
    Yeah, Midguard Models really isn't that great. plus, drybrushing isn't that "professional", but you should see some of the crap people hock (sp?) on Ebay. By comparison, MM is one of the BETTER shops.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand the outrageous prices either...
    And becuase of the pro-painted things I can't find much else in ebay!

Thank god for Maelstrom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Pro-painted is a tag many people use to help them sell their awful stuff. I've seen even a few minis marked as Master-painted that, well, you get the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

138 (x0)

I've see stuff listed as well painted or pro painted witch means that.
    Well painted = you cant see the detail as there is to much paint on it
    Pro painted = It looks better then table top stainedid

(sorry about spell no spell chque on my work computor)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I feel like ebay sellers don't know how to strip the models or just don't want to go through the effort. Why not call something pro painted so you don't have to go through the trouble of stripping the model? (their train of through not mine)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast