WH40K Codex Updates Wargear - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

Codex Updates Wargear

I was just looking into the updates that occured with the new realease of the Space Marines codex. For example the improvements to storm shields. As a result I wanted to check how this affected all the other armies that have the same wargear and special rules. I came across the GW Dark Angels FAQ which states that if you and your opponant disagree, then you are to take the rules from the codex which your army comes from. However, it states that the rules they release are just a guideline and they have no problem with people using the new updated rules for wargear/rules aslong as the two players do.

So my question is, would/do you let people use the updated rules or are you strict to the only use whats in the codex?

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if someone wants to play BA, DA, BT or SW then use those codex, for anything else use C: SM no exceptions. if someone wants to make one of those 4 chapters using C: SM then they do not get to use anything from the seperate codex.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I agree with that. Just because the Eldar Codex includes Harlequins doesn't mean that the Eldar rules should be added in to the Harlequin rules (the CA for Harlequins from ages back). If you want to use an army you use their codex, the only way of anything in theirs being updated is if it refers you to an updated codex for the rules (like an Inquisition based army just having a "See Codex: Imperial Guard" thing for a unit type).
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

I'd clearly never enjoy playing you then lol. Clearly totally unreasonable.

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Its unreasonable to suggest that people should use their own codex? The thing to keep in mind is that when they rewrite rules for a new codex, they do NOT take balance in the older codexs into consideration. Otherwise whats to stop me saying 'Well, the SPACE MARINES flamers and missile launchers are free, so my imperial guard should have them free too'.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be like trying to take stuff from C: SM for chaos because they are "the spikey SM"

could you imagine how broken an army of Daemon Princes with Lash, troops of Plague Marines, elites of terminators with TH/SS and Oblits would be? Most people would call game after depolyment.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by RobtheGuru View Post
    I'd clearly never enjoy playing you then lol. Clearly totally unreasonable.
    Why the outlash? You're acting as if someone just kicked your dog, don't be so childish because people disagree with your ability to cheese out an army. Calm down and look at things from an outside view and don't try and hold desperately on to a sinking ship. There is a good reason why we're all saying that it would be wrong to use updated rules to mix and match with an old Codex.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

There's another very good reason to not mix the codex books: continuity.

If you're the type of player who enjoys both casual play and tourneys, then keeping those books separate will eliminate confusion. Even if you do not play in tourneys, surely you encounter new opponents, and it would not be fair to them mixing books, as you don't know what they are comfortable with. Best to keep the same thing going...

If you are one of those folks who only ever plays in his basement with the same 3-4 friends, then go ahead and do whatever you like. House rules are fine at the house.

There's no reason to go forcing players in your group, or others that you meet, into accepting what is essentially a House Rule.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Also if lets say a certain item got worse, like for instance smoke launchers, in the Dark angels codex i believe they automatically change any penetrating hit to glancing, where as in the new space marine codex, you get a 4+ cover save.

So think to yourself, if storm shields got worse, would you be so willing to use the new rules if they weren't as good? The answer is probably no, so stop fishing for better wargear and use what your book permits.

+ Reply to Thread